Quick Easy Cheap Healthy Meals?? HELLPPP

imn0tlykeher
imn0tlykeher Posts: 41 Member
Its myself my 4 year old daughter and 2 year old son, and I am a working parent, I work 40 hours a week, I do have the evenings off wondering what are some quick easy and healthy meals I can make for all of us to enjoy? Crockpot meals welcome also

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Burritos - just saute up some meat, add chopped veggies and salsa. Fish tacos - same concept. Soups, stews and chilis. Crockpot meals - nothing like coming home to a house filled with the smell of dinner waiting. Omelets.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    A good site is www.allrecipes.com. Use this a lot and even has the nutrition on the bottom of the page . Good luck
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    I find that the George foreman grill speeds up cooking time a lot for chicken and fish. Chili is a good crockpot one. Just ground meat cooked and drained, celery, tomatoes, bell pepers, beans and a packet of seasoning with about 1/2 cup of water. cook on low and when you get home yummy meal ready. Stuffed shell are fast too.
  • imn0tlykeher
    thank you all. yea I just saved some of the recipes from the crock pot thread :)
  • sherri30170
    sherri30170 Posts: 18 Member
    I love Taco Soup and our 7 year old little boy does too. Easy to do in the crock pot all day. Pancakes (the mix that's add water). Add fruit or fruit/yogurt mix on the side. Omelets with veggies mixed in (I love Breakfast for Dinner bc we rarely eat a big breakfast!). Pintos in the crock pot (we love them with a bit of cornbread). I bake this often because it is EASY and healthy: http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3398957-Chicken-Green-Beans-and-Potatoes We usually do homework while it is cooking.
  • imn0tlykeher
    thanks sherri! I know this is going to sound stupid as ever, but how exactly do you make an omelet? lol Im a scrambled girl
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    thanks sherri! I know this is going to sound stupid as ever, but how exactly do you make an omelet? lol Im a scrambled girl

An omelet is basically just scrambled eggs with something in it. Some people scramble the vegetables or meat or cheese (or whatever they are adding) right in, others don't sitr or 'scramble' the eggs, instead letting them cook flat like a pancake and folding the other stuff inside.
  • MD1978
    MD1978 Posts: 477 Member
    We do a lot of Stir Fry....cut up bite sized meat and whatever veggies we have on hand (fresh or frozen) and whatever seasonings or bottled sauce we have around. Eat as is or over rice, if I have the calories.
  • sherri30170
    Exactly what Need2Exerc1se said! I do mine 'easy' with basically just adding in veggies to scrambled eggs. My youngest loves broccoli. I like it with sauteed bits of yellow squash, zucchini and bell pepper. Almost any veggies will do! Great to use up leftovers for a quick meal.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    I love my crockpot

a whole chicken with potatoes and carrots. Just wash, place chicken in center of crock, sprinkle with poultry seasoning (or parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and garlic), placed carrots and potatoes (I keep them washed and whole) around the chicken, cover on and cook on low all day or high for 4 hours (I like ours falling off the bone) After lifting out the chicken and whole vegies, add corn starch or a bit of flour or agar flakes to thicken the juices for gravy if needed...(my grandmothers way...add flour to some cold water first so it doesn't lump)

Same as above for chicken can be done with any roast...I like to also put in quartered onions (or rings...they roast up nicely)

Vegan crockpot chili...soak 15 bean mix, about a pound, overnight, drain, rinse, put in crock and cover in water...cook all day, add seasings more than half way through the cooking process if you want the flavor soaked in...or at the end before serving. If you add anything with salt early on in the process it lengthens the cooking time of the beans.

Lentil stew
    split pea soup (my family actually prefers the vegan)

I do chicken breasts (frozen) layered in the crock and sprinkled with taco seasoning...cook all day then pull it apart and serve as chicken tacos...leftover meat stays in the crock and I add white beans and make a white chicken chili.

With all of these, you should have leftovers for lunch the next day.
  • sherri30170
    Here is a recipe I am trying tomorrow in the crock pot: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=500905 I won't be adding the black olives; have 1 that won't eat them. Probably will serve over rice.
  • thanks sherri! I know this is going to sound stupid as ever, but how exactly do you make an omelet? lol Im a scrambled girl

Even easier.....spray a muffin tin, add your meat, cheese, veggies then pour your scrambled eggs over top. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    ... how exactly do you make an omelet?

For cooking, YouTube is definitely your friend. There are lots of great, quick videos, both amateur and professionally made that show you how to do almost any kind of cooking activity.

If you go to www.youtube.com and search "easy omelet," you'll find a wealth of help!

None of us start out knowing how to cook, so don't worry. It's mostly a learn by doing and watching others kind of thing.

• suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Go to the store and pick up basic veggies (carrots, broccoli, maybe some peppers and spinach). Also pick up a grain (usually rice - brown), and some basic meat (lean, low fat). Eggs, too. That'll serve you for breakfast and dinner most of the week if nothing else...

Breakfast: make an omelette, fill with veggies & seasoning, side of meat

Dinner: Saute vegetables, throw in scrambled egg on occasion, serve over rice and top with a little bit of meat.

A little bit of soy sauce and olive oil go a long way. Same goes for garlic & Mrs. Dash :wink:
  • sherri30170
    Here is a recipe I am trying tomorrow in the crock pot: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=500905 I won't be adding the black olives; have 1 that won't eat them. Probably will serve over rice.

Just wanted to report back that this was a HIT with the family! My 7 year old had it in a tortilla (like a burrito) with cheese and sour cream added for him. Plus rice on the side. The adults ate it spooned on rice. VERY tasty! I did use Rotel tomatoes with green chiles instead of 2 different ingredients and Kidney Beans instead of "Mexican style chili beans".
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited October 2014
    I cook dry beans and divide them into 2 cup portions because that is about the amount in a can of beans. I freeze these and then use them in recipes.
    Beans and rice
    Minestrone, fassolatha, chili, lentil soup
    Burritos, baked taquitos, fajitas
    Pasta
    Breakfast for dinner- Eggs, oatmeal, fruit, breakfast burritos/sandwiches
    Stir fry

budgetbytes.com

Cook more than you need for one meal and freeze the extra for another meal. Make sure to label and date things.
    Have a limited rotating menu. Write down 20 or so meals your family likes.
  • PibbleLover88
    PibbleLover88 Posts: 40 Member
    Right now, the things on my 15 minute menu are: (not so sure they are kid friendly, but . . . )

Pita Pizzas: Whole wheat Pita, jarred marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and toppings. Bake it up!

Shrimp quesadillas: I thaw some precooked shrimp, and put it between a tortilla with vegis and low-fat cheese. Then I put them on my panini press.

Bagel egg sandwiches: I use "bagel thins" and cook up some eggs and add Swiss cheese. I eat with fruit.

Turkey Bean nachos: Ground Turkey with Mexican seasonings, mixed with canned black beans. I add the mixture to baked tostitos scoops, with low-fat cheese and vegis.

Waldorf Salad: I use rotisserie chicken with cut up grapes, Apple's, and almonds. I use light mayo and greek yogurt mixed together for the sauce. I add a scoop of this to greens.

• MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    One of our families favorite meals is Crock-pot Mexican Chicken. It is so inexpensive and easy. Just put a few chicken breast in the crockpot with a little bit of water, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for on low for 8 hours. Shred up the meat and let is soak up the juices. You can make hard or soft tacos. Top with your favorite toppings. We also have used this same recipe using pork tenderlion or beef roast, depending on what is on sale. I usually make a pot of black or pinto beans to go along with it which is ultra cheap too. YUM! HTH! :)