gluten free

Options
How long does it take to start loosing wheat belly, once you start a gluten free regiment?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    dennis6606 wrote: »
    How long does it take to start loosing wheat belly, once you start a gluten free regiment?
    You won't unless you are eating at a calorie deficit and then, it's a matter of genetics where the fat comes off first. So, give up wheat if you want, but you won't lose weight unless you are eating less than you are burning.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have not given up wheat. It shouldn't matter how much time it takes to start losing a wheat belly. Your focus may need to be adjusted a bit. Maybe shift your thinking toward getting yourself healthier by counting your calories and moving more. Find a diet that you can follow that is sustainable. A diet where you can eat healthier foods and still include the foods you love is a way more realistic approach to weight loss. IMHO
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    you won't necessarily lose weight if you give-up wheat/gluten. my daughter has a true intolerance to gluten, and she actually gained weight when she gave up wheat & gluten. you need to still watch caloric intake.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Ya I stopped banging my head against the wall with the Davisites and decided just to suggest what all diets that work entail. Calorie deficit.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, going gluten free will do absolutely nothing for you. You still need a calorie deficit to achieve fat loss.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you want answers to your questions you'd be better off moving over to the Gluten Free Discussion Group. There's a lot of 'GF haters' on MFP who just don't get it and think it's all a fad, but those of us with celiac or severe sensitivities will be able to help you out better. ;)
    note for the above posters... 'wheat belly' isn't actually all fat, but bloating from GI issues with gliadins. You will likely lose inches, but celiacs will generally gain weight because they are finally able to absorb nutrients properly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    If you want answers to your questions you'd be better off moving over to the Gluten Free Discussion Group. There's a lot of 'GF haters' on MFP who just don't get it and think it's all a fad, but those of us with celiac or severe sensitivities will be able to help you out better. ;)
    note for the above posters... 'wheat belly' isn't actually all fat, but bloating from GI issues with gliadins. You will likely lose inches, but celiacs will generally gain weight because they are finally able to absorb nutrients properly.

But you won't have wheat belly if you don't have an intolerance or an auto-immune system issue to contribute to it. Trust me, I am not hating as my wife has to be GF and low carb, but you have to understand that cutting wheat does nothing unless there is a medical issues. Celiac is definitely one of those major conditions that have a problem with wheat.

• FredDoyle
    Options
    No "wheat belly" is a term coined by William Davis as far as I know. I've never heard a person with celiac disease use that term until he wrote his ridiculous book.
    Chances are, if someone posts trying to get rid of their wheat belly, they are buying into Davis's pseudoscience.
    I'm fairly certain that anyone diagnosed with celiac will recieve diet information from the medical community.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    No "wheat belly" is a term coined by William Davis as far as I know. I've never heard a person with celiac disease use that term until he wrote his ridiculous book.
    Chances are, if someone posts trying to get rid of their wheat belly, they are buying into Davis's pseudoscience.
    I'm fairly certain that anyone diagnosed with celiac will recieve diet information from the medical community.

Yes, "wheat belly" is certainly a term coined by William Davis, but for some of us with an actual sensitivity, it's an actual thing. I know a lot of people don't believe in gluten sensitivities, but it's very clear to me that I have one. When I dropped gluten from my diet, it was only a matter of a week or two until the swelling/bloating started to go down. I didn't know the term "wheat belly", but I certainly saw a reduction in inches around my mid section.

OP: if you have an actual sensitivity, it will depend on how sensitive you actually are to gluten as to how quickly you'll see a reduction in swelling/bloating.

Disclaimer: I'm not currently eating gluten free for a variety of reasons. I also believe a lot of people are jumping on the GF bandwagon for no reason. However, for some people, it's a valid life-style switch that proves to be truly effective.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dennis6606 wrote: »
    There is no such thing as "wheat belly", and unless you're diagnosed with a disorder related to an allergy causing an intolerance to gluten, worry not.
    In healthy adults, a fat midsection is the result of too many calories - not so much what you eat.
    Every so often a guru will write a book offering an easy way to a flat stomach, and people throng in herd to gobble up this lost secret.
    Don't join that tribe.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I was misunderstood above as I realize it's just a term Davis calls it, but poofed out belly isn't all fat, and is a lot of bloating as well. Perhaps I should have said 'gluten belly' instead, lol. And yes, I also have to be GF for medical reasons, so I do understand the issues.