Flu Vaccine

Options

Replies

• KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    nope. I have never gotten the flu and I will in the foreseeable future never get the shot.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    No, I do not like needles. I have had the flu before and if I get it again oh well. It was horrible, but at least my diet will be over. I really did hate it though, but needles are worse and at least I can see an upside to the flu. I will just have a new weight to maintain. I have only had the flue 1 time, I have had a flu shot 1 time. I would rather never take the shot again, risk getting the flu and sleeping on the bathroom floor again every flu season, than to deal with another needle I am not actually required to deal with.

You can get the vaccine via an inahalable mist taken through the nose. No reason to go unprotected due to a phobia!

If they offer a mist at the clinic maybe, but I am not paying for a flu shot or a flu mist, which costs more. I would rather risk getting sick.

You'd have to ask your clinic. Also, check your insurance. Innoculations in the US are classified as preventive medicine and are required to be covered at 100% due to the ACA. I'm not sure how that works when you refuse the shot in favor of the mist, though. Coverage is probably plan specific.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    this was the first topic i made on MFP. someone warned me it would get ugly. so I pm'd a mod to ask for it to be deleted. take a lesson.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    No way. The flu never hurt anybody but the vaccine gives you autism

LOL (I sure hope that was sarcasm)
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    this was the first topic i made on MFP. someone warned me it would get ugly. so I pm'd a mod to ask for it to be deleted. take a lesson.

Is it ugly at this point? This is pretty tame compared to other threads I've seen. There is also a lot of good information that has been presented so far that may help people make a good decision.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    But when was the last time we lost a significant percentage of the population to the flu?

Last time we lost a significant percentage of the population to the flu was the Spanish flu epidemic, but that was really bad, ended in 1920, my Grandmother died on the tail end of it, she was in her 20s and my Dad was a baby.

I usually get my flu shot when I have my yearly physical in November. Last year it was late so I didn't get it as it was already December.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but living in a first-world country doesn't protect you from contracting illnesses and diseases. Only ignorant people think that :)
    I know that. But it does mean that if I do contract the flu it's highly likely that I'll be just fine.
    You'll still be miserable & infectious for days.
    Why would you want to suffer for _days_ with the disease when there's a vaccine available?
    (And people who choose not to vaccinate their kids should be convicted of child abuse! Putting a kid through chickenpox, then later in life shingles? Sadistic.)
    Why risk infecting other people when there's a vaccine available?
    And how do you explain away the 54K who died from flu & pneumonia (which often follows the flu) in 2011?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3018252/
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    No, I do not like needles. I have had the flu before and if I get it again oh well. It was horrible, but at least my diet will be over. I really did hate it though, but needles are worse and at least I can see an upside to the flu. I will just have a new weight to maintain. I have only had the flue 1 time, I have had a flu shot 1 time. I would rather never take the shot again, risk getting the flu and sleeping on the bathroom floor again every flu season, than to deal with another needle I am not actually required to deal with.

You can get the vaccine via an inahalable mist taken through the nose. No reason to go unprotected due to a phobia!

If they offer a mist at the clinic maybe, but I am not paying for a flu shot or a flu mist, which costs more. I would rather risk getting sick.

You'd have to ask your clinic. Also, check your insurance. Innoculations in the US are classified as preventive medicine and are required to be covered at 100% due to the ACA. I'm not sure how that works when you refuse the shot in favor of the mist, though. Coverage is probably plan specific.

I do not have insurance. The shot or the mist would be completely out of pocket for me. When I went to get the shot in a previous year, the clinic did not have the mist. I have only had the shot once, out of all the years I have not had the shot I have only gotten sick once. So I do not see a point in paying for the flu vaccine, because I am probably not going to get the flu.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yup, got it on Saturday, despite hating needles (I know there's the nasal spray option but it's easier to just walk into Walgreens and ask for the shot). I've only had the flu once, when I was 10 - I was not vaccinated that year, or actually any year until 3 years ago when my mother had her immune system knocked out as part of a medical treatment, so we all had to get vaccinated to protect her. Since then I've gotten it every year, and haven't gotten sick (though I also did not get sick most years when I went unvaccinated). Since I know I only have minor reactions to the vaccine, the protection offered to me and to people around me outweighs my discomfort.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    I chose to not receive a flu shot because I am rarely sick. I can't remember the last time I was stricken with the flu.
    So you've been lucky, and you should be thanking everyone around you who was responsible enough to get vaccinated!

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    yes i already had mine. i get it every october, along with a mammogram.
    :blush:
    i actually got the flu last year despite having my flu shot, but i was only sick for about 2 days and i wasn't nearly as sick as i was when i had the flu in 1996. i was nearly hospitalized. don't want to go through that again!
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I hope this is a joke.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

You think this thread is bad? HAH.

What a party pooper.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    But when was the last time we lost a significant percentage of the population to the flu?

Last time we lost a significant percentage of the population to the flu was the Spanish flu epidemic, but that was really bad, ended in 1920, my Grandmother died on the tail end of it, she was in her 20s and my Dad was a baby.

I usually get my flu shot when I have my yearly physical in November. Last year it was late so I didn't get it as it was already December.

200_s.gif
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Getting mine this week. Lost 30% lung capacity in 2009 courtesy of complications from H1N1. Won't let that happen again.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    There are people in my office that won't get one because they don't believe it in. One of them gets sick every year and then comes in to work and hacks and coughs for days making others around her ill. The rest of us detest her for it.
    I think going to HR _before_ there's a problem this year is in order.
    If several of you meet with your manager &/or an HR person, and ask that the company establish a policy that anyone who's coughing, or with a fever (of a certain amount... check with a doctor), stay home until they're not sick, and get a doctor's written permission to return to work, that person _might_ change her behaviour.
    this was the first topic i made on MFP. someone warned me it would get ugly. so I pm'd a mod to ask for it to be deleted.
    But it's not getting ugly.
    This is nothing.
    There are people saying they've been sensible & responsible, and there are people who don't believe in science.
    Some in the first group are attempting to show the second group why their actions are wrong, dangerous, and anti-social.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Posted above:

http://www.flu.gov/pandemic/history/1918/the_pandemic/legacypendemic/
    "[pandemic of 1918] An estimated 675,000 Americans were among the dead.
    All of these deaths caused a severe disruption in the economy. Claims against life insurance policies skyrocketed, with one insurance company reporting a 745 percent rise in the number of claims made. Small businesses, many of which had been unable to operate during the pandemic, went bankrupt."

"Influenza vaccine was first introduced as a licensed product in the United States in 1944. Because of the rapid rate of mutation of the influenza virus, the effectiveness of a given vaccine usually lasts for only a year or two...

The pandemic which occurred in 1918-1919 was not the only influenza pandemic of the twentieth century. Influenza returned in a pandemic form in 1957-1958 and, again, in 1968-1969.

These two later pandemics were much less severe than the 1918-1919 pandemic. Estimated deaths within the United States for these two later pandemics were 70,000 excess deaths (1957-1958) and 33,000 excess deaths (1968-1967)."

So... pandemic before the flu vaccine existed, 675K dead.
    Pandemics after the flu vaccine was created, 70K (90% less) & 33K (95% less) dead.

Mortality rate has gone down too.
    2011 - 312 million population, 54K deaths, 0.02% died
    1968 - 200.7 million, 33K, 0.02%
    1957 - 172 million, 70K, 0.04%
    1918 - 103 million, 675K dead 0.66%
    http://www.multpl.com/united-states-population/table

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    davis_em wrote:
    waiting on long-term studies on the pros/cons of the flu vaccine
    How long-term do you need, and how effective does it have to be?

In 1918, the flu killed 20-40 million people worldwide. https://virus.stanford.edu/uda/
    "More people died of influenza in a single year than in four years of the Black Death Bubonic Plague from 1347 to 1351."

http://www.flu.gov/pandemic/history/1918/the_pandemic/legacypendemic/
    "An estimated 675,000 Americans were among the dead.
    All of these deaths caused a severe disruption in the economy. Claims against life insurance policies skyrocketed, with one insurance company reporting a 745 percent rise in the number of claims made. Small businesses, many of which had been unable to operate during the pandemic, went bankrupt."

"Influenza vaccine was first introduced as a licensed product in the United States in 1944. Because of the rapid rate of mutation of the influenza virus, the effectiveness of a given vaccine usually lasts for only a year or two...

The pandemic which occurred in 1918-1919 was not the only influenza pandemic of the twentieth century. Influenza returned in a pandemic form in 1957-1958 and, again, in 1968-1969.

These two later pandemics were much less severe than the 1918-1919 pandemic. Estimated deaths within the United States for these two later pandemics were 70,000 excess deaths (1957-1958) and 33,000 excess deaths (1968-1967)."

So... pandemic before the flu vaccine existed, 675K dead.
    Pandemics after the flu vaccine was created, 70K (90% less) & 33K (95% less) dead.

Mortality rate has gone down too.
    2011 - 312 million population, 54K deaths, 0.02% died
    1968 - 200.7 million, 33K, 0.02%
    1957 - 172 million, 70K, 0.04%
    1918 - 103 million, 675K dead 0.66%
    http://www.multpl.com/united-states-population/table
    I hate needles.
    Get the type you snort. It's no worse than nasal spray.
    I see no reason to get jabbed when there's no guarantee it'll actually keep me from getting the flu (if scientists guessed wrong).
    If they've guessed right, it could save your life.
    Even if they've guessed wrong, it could lessen the severity of the disease.
    And you being immune could prevent someone who can't get the vaccine from getting sick.

I'm aware that the flu can be deadly. And I'm aware of the flu vaccines helping decrease mortality. I haven't seen any scientific study that shows either the effects of or lack of effect (good OR bad) for folks who have taken the flu vaccine each year over the course of 20 or 30 years. If you can point me to one, I'd gladly take a look and maybe change my stance. I HAVE read a study done on the flu vaccine in 1979 that showed a slight increase in Guillian Barre Syndrome for folks vaccinated.... which I'm sure they've either disclaimed or ironed out (right?!).

I'm in no way, shape or form a vaccine 'alarmist', but I'm also not willing to jump on the bandwagon over an educated guess (which is what the current flu vaccine and the strain selection process amounts to) when I don't know what it might (or might not) do to me in my old age. :)

I'm one of those people that wants to be taken off of life support if I can't care for myself. If it's my time to go, then so be it. Flu shot be damned.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    There are people in my office that won't get one because they don't believe it in. One of them gets sick every year and then comes in to work and hacks and coughs for days making others around her ill. The rest of us detest her for it.
    I think going to HR _before_ there's a problem this year is in order.
    If several of you meet with your manager &/or an HR person, and ask that the company establish a policy that anyone who's coughing, or with a fever (of a certain amount... check with a doctor), stay home until they're not sick, and get a doctor's written permission to return to work, that person _might_ change her behaviour.
    this was the first topic i made on MFP. someone warned me it would get ugly. so I pm'd a mod to ask for it to be deleted.
    But it's not getting ugly.
    This is nothing.
    There are people saying they've been sensible & responsible, and there are people who don't believe in science.
    Some in the first group are attempting to show the second group why their actions are wrong, dangerous, and anti-social.

I don't recall there being a direct correlation between responsibility and getting the flu shot.

The only time I will have formaldehyde anywhere in close proximity to my body (let alone IN my body) is when I am using it to preserve cadavers.