Concerns

Options
I hired a Personal Trainer back in Septermber and I've been working out with her 2 times a week since then. She's has a college degree in some excersise major (she's told me a few times but I never remember).

Anyway, I told her about this site, she's checked it out and thinks it's great and has even passed it on to her other clients. With that said, she's incredibly concerned about my nutrition since I only eat 1200 calories. I know to eat my excersise calories and I do but she asked that I raise my daily calories to 1400 on top of eating my work out calories.

I'm 5'3 and could 1200 really not be enough? I'm terrified to change my intake to 1400. I've plateaued and am fluctuating between a 4lbs range for a while now, with no major loses in about a month. Could taking it back up to 1400 really be good????

I'm so nervous and I don't know why!

Replies

• Lauren882
    Options
    I hired a Personal Trainer back in Septermber and I've been working out with her 2 times a week since then. She's has a college degree in some excersise major (she's told me a few times but I never remember).

Anyway, I told her about this site, she's checked it out and thinks it's great and has even passed it on to her other clients. With that said, she's incredibly concerned about my nutrition since I only eat 1200 calories. I know to eat my excersise calories and I do but she asked that I raise my daily calories to 1400 on top of eating my work out calories.

I'm 5'3 and could 1200 really not be enough? I'm terrified to change my intake to 1400. I've plateaued and am fluctuating between a 4lbs range for a while now, with no major loses in about a month. Could taking it back up to 1400 really be good????

I'm so nervous and I don't know why!
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5' 3" and am very comfortable at 1400 cal's. I wore my HRM all day once and realized on a typical day (without exercise) I burned 2400 calories. So, 1400 cal's is right at 2 lbs a week. I also try to eat my exercise calories. I'd go with what your trainer says. The weight may come off more slowly, but I think you will feel better. Good luck!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I am 5 feet 2 and I eat close to 1500 after adding my exercise calories. I am fine. Hope that helps.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and my BMR is around 1500...MFP default set me at 1200, but I am way more comfortable at 1500 AND I am losing more weight now then I ever did when I was starving.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Guess you didn't catch my post the other day about upping calories: here's a link for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/30952-to-all-who-aren-t-eating-all-your-calories-or-need-to-eat
  • I could have written your post (minus the personal trainer part :laugh: ) but I've been at a stand still losing and gaining the same 3 pounds for about a month (I'm 5'3" too). I came to the conclusion last week that it was because mfp put my calories at 1250...so that's what I ate. I ate my exercise calories, but when I didn't work out it was 1250--I'm sure it's because I'm not eating enough. I bumped it up to 1450-1500ish and am seeing the scale move again. Try it out for a couple weeks--you can always change it back or tweek it, if it's not going like you think...but I would guess that you, like me, aren't eating enough at 1200.

Heidi
    PS Adding in an extra 200 calories is great! For the first week I didn't know what to do with myself I was so excited :) Happy eating!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and I eat 1700-1800 a day. Height is a factor, but you have to look at other things as well--daily activity, exercise intensity and duration, body composition. I tried eating 1400 cals a day, and I was stuck at 136 forEVER. Don't be 'afraid' of calories. They're not fat-bombs. They're just energy.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ditto the above.

At 5'8", depending on the day, I'll eat anywhere from 1800-2400 calories...