Want to do my own shopping, but there's a dilemma

Options
So I'm on meal plan at college right now. I don't have a car and there are no grocery stores within walking distance, so if I were to buy my own groceries I'd need to take the bus. And I really really really hate taking the bus after a frightening incident that happened earlier this year. I try to avoid it as much as I can.

The nice thing about my dining hall is that they have basic nutrition labels including calories out for most of their foods. The downside is that I'm pretty sure they're measured inaccurately. According to them, 3 regular-sized pancakes are 90 calories, but 3 blueberry pancakes of the same size are 250 calories. Their soups are always bizarrely high in calories, and then sometimes foods that shouldn't be low in calories like big pieces of pizza are listed at 120 calories. And sometimes I'll see the serving sizes and calories for the exact same food items change. Aside from the general sketchiness of their calculations, their serving sizes don't always make sense, either. Sometimes they'll just put "one cooked portion" even though the food isn't separated into servings at all. Or it'll say "1 each" when the food has been divided into halves, so I have no idea what they actually mean.

It's just annoying and while I'm losing weight now, I don't know what's going to happen when I get closer to my goal weight and I have fewer calories to work with. I really would like to shop and buy my own food so I can measure it properly, but I'm not sure how to make it work. The main obstacle is the bus, and the fact that I can only carry as much as I can fit in my backpack and on my arms at a given time. I'd probably have to make multiple shopping trips every week unless I only bought really light and small things. Do you have any ideas for how I could make this work but use the bus as little as possible?

Replies

• IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    First, it would probably be wise to work on your bus issues, since you probably will not be able to avoid the buses forever.
    As far as shopping, do you have space to store a month's worth of food? If you do, you could take a taxi, or give a friend gas money to take you to the shops. If it's only once a month it should fit into your budget.
    You could get one of those granny bags on wheels, those can fit a lot if you take the time to arrange the food. (a kid's cart could work as well I guess)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I rely on my feet/public transport to do my shopping and usually manage just fine with just a sturdy back pack and a couple of shopping bags to carry my weekly shop in. For larger shops I will walk the couple of miles to the shop and get a taxi home.

Alternatively internet grocery shopping is an easy solution - although obviously that depends on the availability of the service where you are, it's very common place here in the UK.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I rely on my feet/public transport to do my shopping and usually manage just fine with just a sturdy back pack and a couple of shopping bags to carry my weekly shop in. For larger shops I will walk the couple of miles to the shop and get a taxi home.

Alternatively internet grocery shopping is an easy solution - although obviously that depends on the availability of the service where you are, it's very common place here in the UK.

I was just going to recommend internet grocery delivery service. When I had surgery on my foot, I used Peapod (by Giant). It was very easy, super convenient, and I got a ton of free delivery coupons by signing up for their emails about a month before I needed to use their services. I know in the US, Safeway also delivers. Probably other stores as well.

You usually have to spend a minimum in order to get the discounted or free delivery, so what I did was order 2 weeks worth of food to meet the minimum.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It simple. If its important to you, you will find a way. If its not, you will find an excuse.
    Take the bus, take a taxis, go on one major food haul for the month.
    Buy a cupboard for your room.
    Or buy a food scale.

Solved.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Besides the aforementioned suggestions of home delivery and taxis, since you are at college no doubt there would be others around you that would want to shop so I suggest carpool...
    1LfwuVw.gif

...do you shopping together as I don't think you would be alone in wanting to get groceries/food from outside of campus. Post a flyer as I am sure someone would enjoy the company and you could share the cost of petrol/gas and even consider buying in bulk together.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I feel you about the college dining hall situation. Do you have access to a kitchen? I'm a senior now, and I live in apartment style housing, so I have both a small meal plan and a kitchen. I cook most of my own meals and will occasionally pack a to-go box full of veggies and fruit at the dining hall.

Everyone else basically posted your options. I would highly recommend finding people to carpool with. I don't have a car, so I usually go with my roommate or another friend who needs groceries (we have a group thread and I ask there).

If you can't find people (Seriously - find people. Finding people is part of learning how to do college.), do as others have suggested - taxi, delivery, or public transportation.

I understand where you are coming from with the bus. Even though awful people sometimes do bad things, I find that I cannot live in fear of them. If you muster up a little bit of courage, you may find that you even meet some nice people (And other students) on the bus.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Buy a bigger backpack. I'll wager a handful of Gummi Bears that your campus dining hall is completely full of *kitten* regarding their nutritional values.
  • cranberrytape
    cranberrytape Posts: 29 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I like the carpool idea, but I feel kind of awkward about it. Is it being too much of a burden if I ask a friend for a ride, even if I offer to pay for gas? I just feel like making them go out of their way to help me shop seems really needy. But maybe it isn't. I don't know. I hate asking people for help. Is this a common thing? Do people do this?

Cab isn't a good option since cabs here are ridiculously expensive (like $45 to go 6 miles and back, yikes.) If I buy another mini fridge I'll have enough storage space for food, and I've got shelf space and a microwave. There's a community kitchen and it's kind of crappy, but it's a kitchen. So having the means to cook and store food isn't an issue.

I like the grocery delivery idea. That won't be feasible since it isn't available in my area, but there are foods I can buy in bulk from places like Amazon with really cheap shipping, which could save a lot of space for buying groceries. Someone also suggested bringing a small suitcase with me in addition to the backpack, which could really help - question, though, do you think that would attract attention? There are a lot of homeless people and drunks up and down the streets and near all the bus stops. The majority of them are passive and don't bother anyone, but some of them can be very pushy, and theft isn't unheard of in most parts of my city. I feel like walking around with my hands full carrying a suitcase might give people the impression not only that I have money/food to steal but that I won't be able to fight back if they attack me. After what happened to me on the bus and hearing about things that have happened to friends, I'm very paranoid about things like that.

I suppose I could also ask someone to go with me. I'd feel safer taking the bus if I had a friend with me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not taking advantage of the person giving you a ride - giving gas money, and advanced notice - I can't imagine why it would be a problem. Tell them up front that you'd like to make it a regular thing. Come to an agreement on how much is reasonable for gas, etc. If you know them well enough, maybe even come up with a little gift as a thank you.

I agree that it'd be good for you to find a way to get past your fear/paranoia. Maybe take a self defense course. Gaining some confidence and skills will help a lot.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of thoughts on the issue of "lighter" food if you do end up going with the bus or some other option where minimizing the weight matters to you: the heaviest stuff tends to be liquids and canned goods, so if you stick with water from the tap (get a filter carafe if you don't like the taste from the tap) and brew-your-own coffee, steep-your-own tea, frozen concentrated juice, dried milk, etc., and fresh or frozen veggies, dried beans and lentils, uncooked rice, etc., as alternatives to canned and packaged goods, that should reduce the weight a lot. I think tinned fish and meat, if you prefer to fresh or frozen for cost or shelf-life reasons, don't have that much liquid in them, so you should be OK either way. A lot of fresh fruit does tend to be heavy, so for some sorts like peaches you might be better off with frozen (which tends to have the peel and inedible seeds removed, so you don't have to carry them home), or just resign yourself to buying more of the lighter-weight ones (e.g., berries) and less of the heavier ones (e.g., melons) while you're in this situation.

Or you could stick with the dining hall, stick with the plainest alternatives (e.g., steamed veggies, grilled meat and fish with no sauces, plain rice and grains, whole fruits), learn to estimate based on comparisons to everyday things (e.g., palm of your hand = 3 to 4 oz. of meat), and use reliable MFP database entries (those with lots of confirmations and/or no asterisks) to log your food, rather than those questionable dining hall labels.

Best of luck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    good luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are over thinking this. Eat in the cafeteria. Focus on your classes instead of getting food to yourself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat dining hall food consider using the charterwells entries in the database chartwells is a big supplier of dorm food.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get a little group of 3 together to share a cab to the grocery store. You might be surprised at how many others on your campus are interested in fitness and healthy eating. Start by putting up a sign for a walking group and go from there.
  • HopeKasrai
    HopeKasrai Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue as a Freshman. I didn't bring my car down that year, so I took the bus a lot to get the basics (we didn't have a kitchen, so I would get tuna, oats, veggies, fruits, and such that was light to carry and didn't require any cooking beyond a microwave). Otherwise, I had many friends with cars and I just asked them to let me know when they were going grocery shopping and I would ride along with them, no big deal. No one even accepted gas money, just as I wouldn't for friends or anyone really. Definitely get some good sturdy canvas bags for bus trips though!

Also, our campus had multiple convenience type stores that were great for times when I was pressed for time and didn't want greasy pizza or pasta from the cafeterias. They carried lean cuisines, good oatmeal, beef jerky, tuna, and even fresh fruit (bananas, apples, oranges). You might have to put a bit of effort into making it work, but you can find ways here and there to make it easier! Good luck!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    1) use as many foods as you trust the listings for from the cafeteria

2) get yourself over the bus issue. accidents happen all the time and you have to get over it. read up on statistics for some logics to combat the emotions. power thru and get on that bus. if it's that difficult consider some kind of therapy but I doubt you need that, just time and pushing yourself past it should work.

3) by getting most of your food needs met at the cafeteria there will be less food to bring home on the bus. take your backpack, one of those rolling carts the grannies use, and some tote bags and you should be fine.

4) some grocery stores used to have food delivery, unsure if they still do.

Question, if you are on an eating plan at school, are you in the dorms? Do you have a full kitchen or fridge? Where do you plan to put all this food?

Ultimately somebody paid for your meal plan and you should try to get as much of your needs met from there. Plus it's just easier and less time consuming leaving you free to focus on studying.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If most of your bulkier goods are dry goods, order that from Amazon or other grocery delivery to be shipped straight to you.

Then use your backpack to pick up the perishable essentials, plus maybe one more bag, and perhaps look into uber or a taxi, or carpooling.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Have you considered that on a college campus, there's probably a LOT of other people who want to eat healthier, too? Put up a notice, start a campus club, make a weekly shopping trip or set up community kitchen times where you all pool your time on, say, a Sunday afternoon, take over the campus kitchen, cook something and portion it off.

Bonus: Great way to make friends, too.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    When I was in college 2 friends and myself would get together once a week to cook a meal. We shared the cost of the ingredients and divided leftovers. It was fun and so much better than cafeteria food every meal. There was no bus or taxi option so we either went to the store together or one person went to buy the ingredients.
    Perhaps you have a couple of friends who would also like to not eat so much cafeteria food and could do something like this. Maybe if they do not have a car you could ride the bus together, walk or bike.
    I don't think it is a burden to ask if someone can give you a ride to the store. Offfering to pay for gas or give them food would be good.
  • Vina4
    Vina4 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know I have oatmeal every day with honey and cinnamon and sliced almonds. It is easy and nutritious. Also, I usually have hard boiled eggs as well. I cook up a dozen one day and they last awhile in the fridge. (I also have a mini fridge so I know it isn't but it can work)