First 5K advice?!

Options
Okay, so my friend just asked me to do a 5K with her...that is on Saturday! It would be my first 5K, I would be very unprepared, and I was about to tell her no. Now I am trying to get out of my comfort zone and just do it. It is a glow themed 5K so I assume it is for fun as they want you to wear tons of glow sticks and even costumes. Butttt....I am afraid I will do horrible! Also, I live in Northern New York so it is already in the 40s here. This will be very late afternoon when it gets dark and I have no experience running outside in the cold at all. That is scary to me. I run on the treadmill and have got my 2 mile time down to 18:30. The treadmill in comfortable conditions is much different then outside in the cold though, plus I haven't ran 3 miles in months (hurt my knee but my last 3 mile was 27 minutes). Any advice? Should I skip it until I can properly prepare for another? If I do it, what should I wear since it will be cold and I have no clue what you are supposed to wear when running in the cold? Any advice, help, etc. is appreciated as I am completely new to this and am chickening out.

Replies

• congruns
    congruns Posts: 127 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You'll do fine even if you walk the last mile. These themed runs like Neon Dash, Color runs, etc. are all about the fun, so there are a lot of walkers with friends and family just to hang out. Enjoy the entertainment the organizers are providing.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You don't have to run the whole 5k. Like was said above it is fine to walk, jog or a combination of both. Wear a wool hat, mittens, long sweat pants and thick socks, a sweater that you can remove and tie around your waist if you get hot.
  • MallieRose91
    MallieRose91 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I guess I just don't want to disappoint myself in how crappy I may do. haha I am going to buy the ticket tonight and hopefully go shopping tomorrow for what I will wear. Any recommendations on what to do with a water bottle? Id rather not bring a bag to have to run with but I also do not want to be carrying it the entire time.
  • MallieRose91
    Options
    Also, thank you to anyone who has or is answering questions and giving advice!
  • ambrosia79
    ambrosia79 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm about to run a 5k this Saturday, too. My best time on the treadmill is just under 30 minutes. Last one I ran was 8 years ago and I did it in 34 minutes, and I wasn't the last to finish. I think it sounds like you're more ready than you think. LOTS of people run 30 minute 5K's. Lots of people walk 5K's. It sounds fun and I say go for it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Good thing about the gimmicky 5Ks like this is that 3/4 of the people will be walking, and it isn't timed - it's solely for fun... for a ~$50 entry fee.
  • MallieRose91
    Options
    I think it is a local fundraiser as a local business is doing it and has other local businesses sponsoring it. They are donating the money and so far 150+ people has registered which also makes me nervous there won't be a lot of people there to drowned me out. The registration is $30 but I get the ticket for $22. Not completely horrible. I think I am going to do it! Just preparing for it and going is going to be the nerve wrecking part! I walk to do my best and not just walk the entire thing though.
  • sbenner17
    sbenner17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    People will be signing up until the last minute. Your time is actually great! Most people average between 45-55 minutes in the "fun runs." You have nothing to worry about. :)
  • Funston0017
    Options
    No shame in doing the run/walk method. i.e. Run 3 or 4 mins & walk 1 min.
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Its a fun run. Most people walk them. So run, run slowly, run/walk, or walk. It doesn't matter. Just go and enjoy.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Who cares about time! Fast or slow, you're still going to same distance as everyone else. Just have FUN!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Who cares about time! Fast or slow, you're still going to same distance as everyone else. Just have FUN!
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just have fun and be proud!
    I ran the Color Run in May and I was in the minority in running the whole thing at a competitive speed. These runs are much more about fun and the experience than they are about time, speed or fitness. Just go out there, do your best, walk when you need to, and enjoy this time with your friend! It sounds like it'll be a blast!
    As for water, I originally intended on using a water belt, but found it wasn't necessary. I know the Color Run I did in Texas had water stations, so I wouldn't be surprised if your 5K did as well :)

Good luck! Have fun! And don't forget to be proud of yourself!
  • dianak6
    dianak6 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ditto all the above. Just have fun. You will get caught up in the excitement and do really well. I live in Fairbanks Alaska, 40 degrees is warm right now. Don't dress too warm you will be miserable. Running tights, long sleeve shirt and light running jacket and you will be good to go. Have fun. Doing a fun run this weekend for Halloween.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Walk don't try to outrun yourself. Have Fun

29509743.png
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Put a cooler full of beer in the trunk of your car, then you will finish real fast!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Good thing about the gimmicky 5Ks like this is that 3/4 of the people will be walking, and it isn't timed - it's solely for fun... for a ~$50 entry fee.

This...i wouldnt even worry about racing this...just treat it like any other run and enjoy the atmosphere!

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If your knee can take it, do it! Just make it fun. I had the same feelings a couple of weeks ago when I did my first 10k walk. I didn't finish last! You'll do great!
  • MallieRose91
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help everyone! Keep any advice you have coming and I will be doing everything you all have said! I just registered so that I can't chicken out and am going shopping for some pants later as all I have is running shorts which I doubt would be warm enough for and I need to get some glow sticks and put together an outfit!
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just to re-iterate, don't worry about bringing water. I've done a few 5K's and I never bring water with me, it's too cumbersome. There will probably be water stations. Just have one waiting for you when you finish. Good luck, you're going to have a ball!!! Also, I like the idea of cold beer in your trunk...lol...