Exercises between Personal Training

Options
Hello,

My husband and I have begun to see a personal trainer 2x/week for motivation, proper form and a place to start. We have asked her what to do in between sessions and just said "keep walking". I'm not sure if she's just easing us back into an active lifestyle, but I feel like "just keep walking" isn't enough for me. I have been sedentary for 3 years and my husband hasn't done anything active since he was a kid. I used to run and built myself up to run (intervals) to a half-marathon distance. I quit running because I didn't love it and I just lost my motivation.

So besides running, what other exercises can we both do? Currently, we go for long walks with our dog and we have access to a pool and small gym in our building. TIA!

Replies

• sbenner17
    sbenner17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Talk to your personal trainer and ask her if she why. Walking is a form of transportation and if you are inactive, you need to be eased into. Trust your trainer, and talk to them. This is coming from a personal trainer. There may be a reason why she doesn't want you to work out (I do wonder). You can also go to the gym and just repeat the workouts you do at the gym with the trainer.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do most cardio-type activities, like cycling, swimming, tennis, interval runs, sports, dancing, cardio videos - basically anything that interests you that gets you moving. If you want to do strength training, discuss it with your trainer. Any exercises you do should complement your training sessions, not interfere with them.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    kandymac06 wrote: »
    Hello,

My husband and I have begun to see a personal trainer 2x/week for motivation, proper form and a place to start. We have asked her what to do in between sessions and just said "keep walking". I'm not sure if she's just easing us back into an active lifestyle, but I feel like "just keep walking" isn't enough for me. I have been sedentary for 3 years and my husband hasn't done anything active since he was a kid. I used to run and built myself up to run (intervals) to a half-marathon distance. I quit running because I didn't love it and I just lost my motivation.

So besides running, what other exercises can we both do? Currently, we go for long walks with our dog and we have access to a pool and small gym in our building. TIA!

1) this is a question you should as your trainer - that's why you hired them, and that's what you're paying for

2) with so little info, it's hard to give any meaingful advice, but walking between sessions can be a great way to recover and keep lose while not over training or risking injury. Don't underestimate the value of "easy" workouts.

If you want more helpful advice, let us knwo what your trainer has you doing and how often you're doing it.
  • kandymac06
    kandymac06 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    1) this is a question you should as your trainer - that's why you hired them, and that's what you're paying for

2) with so little info, it's hard to give any meaingful advice, but walking between sessions can be a great way to recover and keep lose while not over training or risking injury. Don't underestimate the value of "easy" workouts.

If you want more helpful advice, let us knwo what your trainer has you doing and how often you're doing it.

Thanks for the input!

1) You're right, I think we need more conversations with the trainer about this since we are paying her for her expertise.

2) We have only done 2 sessions so far, so I can't describe all the moves. We have used TRX ropes for abs on the floor, free weights to do squats, machines for back exercises, and includes a floor exercise (push-ups, side planks. We do 5 exercises 3x within the hour plus warm-up and stretching before and finish off with a foam roller.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If your trainer is recommending walking as your only form of exercise in between your 2x a week training sessions, it's probably because they aren't confident enough yet in your ability to safely do more high intensity work in between your 2 sessions a week. Probably trying to ease you back into it safely. Trust the trainer.