Why is Mfp telling me to eat only 1200 calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 190lb 34 years old. I chose sedentary but told it I would work out 5 days a week for 40 minutes. Is 1200 calories accurate?
    I'm a noob, I don't understand all this fitness talk.. Macros and micros and TDEE and blah. I've come across good links here on Mfp but it's too much. I just want to know how many calories I should eat.

You've gotten lots of good answers, but let me see if I can explain it even more clearly.

MFP asks how much you will exercise so you can set it as a goal, but unlike lots of methods of setting a calorie goal it does not take the exercise into account when it gives you the calorie goal. Whether you say no exercise or 2 hours a day, 6 days a week, you will get the exact same calorie goal.

Instead, MFP has you log the exercise when you do it and then adjusts the calorie goal to reflect that you actually are exercising. That way someone ambitious in their goals but lacking in their execution doesn't end up with too high a calorie goal and fail to lose when he or she fails to exercise.

Eating back the exercise calories, then, is not counterproductive, but essential to how MFP works, certainly if you say 2 lbs/week as a goal.

Many plans have you split your calorie cutting between exercise and calorie cutting (I will cut 500 calories/day for one lb/week and then try to exercise an additional 500 calories/day for another one lb/week). In essence, if you tell MFP 2 lbs and then exercise and eat back exercise calories, that's what you are doing.

If you tell MFP 2 lbs/week and then exercise on top of that and actually log and track accurately, you are going for a loss goal (more than 2 lbs) that MFP considers extreme and that for people who are not extremely obese is probably too extreme and likely to undermine their fitness goals.

Does that make sense?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You don't need to pay someone to calculate your macros. Try this site: iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Their calorie recommendation worked for me as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The exercise you enter in your goals is pointless, it's just used to keep track of your own goals, but it's not factored in your calories at all. You're supposed to log your exercise and eat the calories back on top of your 1200 calories.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You need to understand what your BMR is, and what sedentary means. Your BMR is what you would need to maintain your bodyweight if you literally stayed in bed all day. I assume you do not in fact stay in bed all day? In which case 'sedentary' isn't for you. Lightly active will be just fine.

We all want to lose weight fast. Fast weight loss is rarely the same thing as successful weightloss.

Eat a little less, move a little more.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Because you told MFP you want to lose 2lb per week.

when you exercise you then eat those calories back to NET your calorie goal, thats how MFP works. so if you burn 200 cals when you work out, you should eat 1400 that day.
    ^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know my BMR and have never learned my TDEE. A lot of people find that the TDEE thing helps them! You may want to try it some time!

But you can lose weight without doing all that.

32798768.png}

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I think that MFP tells people 1200 calories because the way the interface is designed, it gives you the option of choosing two pounds per week. And sure, if you ask a hundred people whether they'd rather lose half, one or two pounds per week, probably ninety-nine of them will say two pounds. All things being equal, of course I'd love to lose weight faster. But all things aren't equal.

The TDEE calculator at http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ is much smarter, I think. It gives options up to a 25% calorie deficit, but puts in a strong warning to consult a doctor before attempting more than 15-20%. It's just more realistic for most people to lose weight at a slower, steadier pace that can be maintained longer.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'6 190lb 34 years old. I chose sedentary but told it I would work out 5 days a week for 40 minutes. Is 1200 calories accurate?
    I'm a noob, I don't understand all this fitness talk.. Macros and micros and TDEE and blah. I've come across good links here on Mfp but it's too much. I just want to know how many calories I should eat.

Because MFP only includes activity level (ie: sedentary)....and not exercise.

When you log workouts you "earn" more calories. If you don't like the up/down of workout/non-workout days......use TDEE less a percent. That calculation will add in an exercise estimate up front.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    ETA: According to the TDEE calculator I linked above, At 5'6, 190lbs, 34 years old, you'd be looking at 1500 calories/day at a sedentary activity level, which will give you a weight loss of about 0.8lbs/week or 40lbs/year.

If you add in a moderate exercise level like you said, of 5 days/week at 40 minutes, you should up your calories to 1960 and that will bump you to 1lb/week.

More than that is probably bordering on unhealthy and unsustainable. But these calculators are only tools to get you started. Try eating at that level for a bit, log your results, and adjust as you go.

(All this to say, 1200 calories/day is probably too low for you, with or without your workouts but especially with them.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I did tell Mfp I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week. That seems safe. I guess I will eat the 1200 then because I would rather shoot for two instead of .5 :) I didn't think you were suppose yo eat yoir exercise calories back. I thought that was the point of burning them... Saying boo bye to the calories?

1.5 pounds a week would be safe (for now)....that's 750 calories off TDEE.

The point of exercise is health & fitness. Exercise helps you keep lean muscle while dieting. Zero exercise, very large deficit, or low protein may result in a higher percentage of muscle loss than you are comfortable with.

Eating calories back (using MFP as designed) just gets you back to the original deficit. 1200 and eating nothing back increases the deficit.

A popular analogy.....food is fuel. If you expect your car to go you need to put gas in the tank. You don't want your body to use lean muscle for fuel.
  • chalk_and_chaturangas
    Options
    Yeah, I have been going through a lot of depression so I REALLY am sedentary... I'm just now feeling a bit back to normal so I'm trying to move more. I have gained 30 pounds during this "chapter" of my life so I'm panicking now to lose the weight haha
    I'm really excited to get back into the swing of things so maybe I will just have to consult with a professional to tell me what to do (for now) thanks for the help.

Working out will help with the depression : ) Personally, I think 1200 is too low. How do you feel if you eat 1200 calories? Tired, lightheaded, energized, etc? That's the biggest gauge of whether or not your getting enough. If you don't eat enough, as TeaBea said, your body will be burning off whatever muscle you have or have built rather than fat cells.

I won't get into completely explaining macros - PM me if you want to know more. I will advise aiming for 40% fat, 30% protein, and 30% carbs. Sounds weird, but the fat and protein keep you full and fueled. Carbs are necessary, but not your body's only source of fuel. health fats (avacado, olive oil, etc) and protein are preferred. Carbs are also the easiest macro for your body to convert to fat cells, so it should be your lowest source of energy.