when do you get a new driver's license?

Options
MKEgal
MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
With the amazing amount of change so many of us see with our weight loss, when do you get a new driver's license, new picture, new number in the "weight" box?

Obviously, if your license expires in the middle of your transformation you should take care of that, but if not, when?

I would definitely do it when I hit goal (which for me will be 110 - 125 lb down) since I'll look very different from the description & photo on the license. :sunglasses:

But what do you do along the way?
Just drive well & hope you don't get pulled over? (Which is a good policy anyway.)
Try to explain to the nice officer that you're transforming your life by losing weight? :innocent:

51637601.png

Replies

• vkdarling
    vkdarling Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I kind of like having my fat pic on my DL so when I get carded etc people go "wow this doesn't even look like you anymore" and everytime I open my wallet I get to look at how far I have came. So, i plan on keeping it around until I have to change it lol...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Does your weight show on your drivers licence???

It sure doesnt here, have never heard of that.

But I would just renew my licence when it was due to be renewed - if my photo changed a bit, too bad - although we only have head photos here anyway, so wouldnt change that much even with significant weight loss.
    -
    far less change ,than, say, a new hair colour - and I sure dont update my photo if I change my hair style
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    :O You guys have a "weight" box on your drivers license?
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I changed mine over when it became too noticeable - like anyone who looked at it had to comment on it, store clerks, airport people, doctors offices, etc. When I got comments every time I whipped it out, it was time to change - I actually had one person grill me for tips and wanted to know what I ate.

I never had any problems using it though at any time... I was a little worried about the airport, but other than the comments on my obvious loss, it was smooth sailing...

Never got pulled over during that time, but I assume it would have gone the same way

for grins & giggles, here is the comparison
    aoodryz7c037.jpg
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    every five years is the law here.....I had to get a new one cause my ex and I split and I got a new address etc....so the new photo is there of me looking thinner but they didn't bother changing my weight on the license even though I asked them to.....couldn't be bothered I guess....but that's customer service for ya....:(
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I renewed mine when it expired. They guy taking my picture looked at me, looked at the old license, back at me and simply said "wow, nice" It felt good :blush:

and yes, ours has our weight on them and it was nice to be able to have them lower it by 100#s
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm in Georgia and we have the weight listed on our licenses, too. I have my first goal weight listed on mine since I never wanted to admit the real thing. It kind of gives me a reminder of what I'm working towards. One day, I'll get my picture redone and put my next goal weight on there :smiley:
  • MKEgal
    Options
    the new photo is there of me looking thinner but they didn't bother changing my weight on the license even though I asked them to... couldn't be bothered I guess... but that's customer service for ya.
    When it's time for me to get a new one, I know exactly the clerk I'll go to.

A friend of mine works for the DMV, and is generally a helpful person, even to people he doesn't know. He actually likes the more challenging cases that pop up from time to time, confusing or complex questions.

Already asked him the procedure for once I've completed my "Amazing Weight Loss, MKEgal Edition", and apparently it's just handled as a replacement, same as if you'd had your purse stolen.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I am intrigued now - why do you need your weight on your drivers licences??
    -
    I mean, its not on your passport and that is usually considered more 'heavy duty' ID
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Ours has weight on it. I'm not planning to get it changed until it expires. Same thing with passports, which are for much longer (10 years). One of my passports has an old pic, and I hope I'm back to being close to that weight when I need to renew it. My other passport has a somewhat newer pic (2010) and I won't replace that for awhile.

I do think it is interesting to look at my various ID photos (2005, 2010, 2014) and notice the increase in weight over those photos - even though they are only headshots, it is pretty obvious when next to each other that I got heavier. (Hair also makes a difference - I have hair in 2 of the 3 pictures.)
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I had to renew my licence last year. The difference in pictures is amazing to me. My problem is with my passport. At least my licence is only good for four years. My passport is for 10 years and the picture was taken in 2009, some 60 LBS ago. Last year, when I went on a cruise, my sister was teasing me that I looked so different from the picture, I wouldn't be allowed to get back on the ship! I brought my updated license, just in case.
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Apparently it's part of the overall description they use to tell if you're really the person to whom the license is issued.
    But just like hair color, it can change, so by itself isn't reliable.

51637601.png
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I really should go in a change it. Not because of the weight loss, haven't lost enough. But I didn't pay attention when renewing it last time and recently noticed that even though I said no changes, he dropped my weight by 50 lbs.
    I got to change my address and I can do that online so I'm going to see if I can change that too. I doubt it but I don't think I'll go in, just lose enough for next time.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    -
    I mean, its not on your passport and that is usually considered more 'heavy duty' ID

I'm in Georgia and I really don't know why they would need weight. Police always tell a robbery victim to get the height of their attacker as accurate as they can because that is the one thing that you can't really alter. Who knows, it's the government, half the s*it they do is dumb as fvck!
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I got one last year. Thank goodness because I was unrecognizable when compared to my drivers license pic. In Michigan we renew every 4 years.

13928394.png
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Ours has weight on it. I'm not planning to get it changed until it expires. Same thing with passports, which are for much longer (10 years). One of my passports has an old pic, and I hope I'm back to being close to that weight when I need to renew it. My other passport has a somewhat newer pic (2010) and I won't replace that for awhile.

I do think it is interesting to look at my various ID photos (2005, 2010, 2014) and notice the increase in weight over those photos - even though they are only headshots, it is pretty obvious when next to each other that I got heavier. (Hair also makes a difference - I have hair in 2 of the 3 pictures.)

Your passport has your weight on it too???.

Our passports don't either.

Both drivers licences and passports can be renewed for 10 years here
  • RyanQu
    RyanQu Posts: 48
    Options
    I still have my old ID, it doesn't expire for another 5 years. I don't want to pay 25 bucks for a new one....
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Your passport has your weight on it too???.

Our passports don't either.

Both drivers licences and passports can be renewed for 10 years here

No, Driver's Licenses have weight on it. Passports do not. "Same thing" meaning I don't plan to change it until it expires.