What should my 3 week goal be?

Options
Hello all,I am just getting started (well, restarting for the millionth time) to lose weight. I find that looking at the long term picture doesn't work for me, so I want to set mini goals. Ultimately, I would love to lose around 40 pounds. My first goal is going to be for 3 weeks only. I am 5'3 and weight 170 pounds. What is a realistic, yet ambitious goal. I know losing too much at once is unhealthy, but I want it to be ambitious enough that the number will keep me motivated. Any advice would be so appreciated. thanks in advance :)

Replies

• healthylifefit
    healthylifefit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    by the way, I am female, which I assume may affect the number
  • prasadsurve
    prasadsurve Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    3 kgs ~ 6 pounds. (1 kg per week). Cut down on sugars specifically and carbs in general.
  • kristinietatorpie
    Options
    The general rule seems to be 2-3 pound per week. Enter your stats into the MyFittnessPal site and it will give you a carb, fat, protein goal to reach each day; and exercise is a big part of the picture. Try to start off by walking a little each day, then increase time as it gets easier. It all will get easier with time.

My first goal was: I will not drink soda for a week. Soon enough, I did not drink any soda for 2 months now. I agree, small goals do work! I've lost 18 pounds since 9/30/14.

My current goals are 2 pounds per week loss, walk to the stop sign and back 2 times per day, and no sneaking candy bars. I am hoping to be down 20 by Christmas.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Setting shorter realistic goals is an awesome way to start. Shoot for between 1.5 and 3 lbs if you look at the scale. Take measurements and set a goal to be smaller in those areas. Set a goal to change your lifestyle. Count your calories 6 out of 7 days this week. Measure and weigh your portions.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Don't set a hard and fast number. It's too easy to be discouraged... Aim for 1-2 pounds per week. 5 pounds in 3 weeks would be a great start. I say try to make your weekly goals to make one change you can keep with to make you a better version of yourself each week.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking you have to give stuff up and stick to that for the next 3 weeks, try to do something extra each day - and by that I mean exercise! My goal for this month is to do 30 minutes of exercise every day. If you're just starting out then maybe shoot for 30 minutes 4 times a week. Sometimes I run, sometimes I play sport, sometimes I put a fitness video on YouTube, sometimes it's just walking or stretching, but it's helping me to be as active as possible and burn a few extra calories!
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I try to not set a weight goal...because I am usually disappointed...but instead I set goals that I have more control over that will result in weight lost.

# of times you will work out in a week
    not eat a specific thing that hinders your weight loss for X amount of days
    drink more water

Think of it that way...
  • lsj8474
    Options
    Yes, as mentioned, cut down on sugar; that is the key. It is extremely hard to do, because everything has sugar, even natural fruit. I purchased the Garmin Vivofit. It basically tracks your activity level (# of steps walked, # of calories burned, # of miles traveled). I set my goal to walk 10,000 steps a day, which equals five miles. I add the exercise and calories burned in myfitnesspal. (Something a bout seeing it on screen motivates me) I do this in conjunction with monitoring my food intake. This is working for me.
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you want to focus on smaller goals that will pave your way to the "end goal." It can be overwhelming (and it is for me) to only focus on an "end-goal" that could take months or years.
    Instead, I definitely think everyone can benefit from smaller goals. I think that 3-6lbs is a decent 3 week goal for weight loss. However, you could also give yourself qualitative goals like cut down carbs, stop drinking liquid calories, or increase activity to x amount per week. Those kinds of goals can allow you to celebrate success even if the scale doesn't show your results right away.
    Consider taking pics and measurements so you have other figures to go by besides just weight. The scale isn't everything and sometimes not the best means of measuring progress.
    Good luck to you as you kick off your 3 week journey!
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Eat less, Move more.

Setting mini-goals is awesome, but putting a number and time-limit on things often times ends in disappointment.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    1st 3 weeks? Make your goal to log everything honestly and consistently. Then you can think about where you need to take your nutrition for the future
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello all,I am just getting started (well, restarting for the millionth time) to lose weight. I find that looking at the long term picture doesn't work for me, so I want to set mini goals. Ultimately, I would love to lose around 40 pounds. My first goal is going to be for 3 weeks only. I am 5'3 and weight 170 pounds. What is a realistic, yet ambitious goal. I know losing too much at once is unhealthy, but I want it to be ambitious enough that the number will keep me motivated. Any advice would be so appreciated. thanks in advance :)

40 Pounds total use this........

If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Logging every day and staying in the green for all your numbers