RECIPE TOOLS on MFP- what happened to it?

Options
Jill_newimprovedversion
Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
WHAT has happened to the RECIPE TOOL on this site?
I'm working from my PC, on the website itself- and can't create a NEW recipe.
What's WORSE is the original recipes I've been saving since 2011 ...the information I'm finding there has deleted the brand(s) of the ingredients I used.
I spent a LONG TIME tweaking recipes to lower the sodium and sugar levels- and found SPECIFIC brands that make that possible.
I'm frustrated...

Any suggestions?

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I can create recipes on the website, at this URL: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box (or use the FOOD menu, then Recipes).

Personally, I prefer the old recipe tool, available on the right side of that page. I found that the new(ish) recipe importer seemed to have a more limited ingredient database.

My old recipes still list brands, when I used a branded ingredient.
  • Moinue
    Moinue Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    woooow...... Been away from MFP for a month or so, and find quite a bit changed not for the better!!!!! The recipe tool was great to enter my own recipes, with the ingredients I wanted, in the amount I wanted.... now, my ingredients are 'matched' but these never correspond to what I use!!! I do not live in US, prefer metric to imperial or US, don't necessarily follow standard recipes and can at time use 'unusual' ingredients!!!
    Why always 'replace' things, why not 'add' a functionality for those people who would prefer the matching? I've read a lot of people complain about having to enter ingredients individually, so I understand trying to improve this for them, but why does this have to be to my detriment? Now, I need to enter ingredients, match them, edi, replace, check endless lines....... booooooooring! MFP going wrong!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I realized now that I can find the specific brands I've used= but only after clicking on *EDIT* the recipe.
    and there is NO ORIGINAL RECIPE TOOL on my page whatsover
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Did you see the "add recipe manually" link below the import recipe bar? That's how I've been entering some of my recipes.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Ugh, the new recipe tool is the WORST. It used to be much easier to manually enter my own recipes.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    Someone posted this link- SAVE IT ( and hopefully it will stay available)
    - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I prefer the new tool. It's more sophisticated and has worked fine for me.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If by sophisticated you mean a programmer found a neat way to do something without regard to the actual utility of the tool, then yes.
    Now go in and switch out an item in one of your existing recipes. Not very sophisticated, or possible even...
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I love the idea of the new tool, but it's ridiculous how many bugs there are.

-for a while, when I changed the amount of an ingredient, when I saved the recipe it would revert to the first quantity it detected. And this would only happen for salt and pepper, for some reason.

-sometimes if I changed the name of the recipe it won't save.

-sometimes nothing will save.

-couldn't add new ingredients for a while

-previous ingredients couldn't be updated

-amounts of ingredients get bizarre looking, long strings of digits; if I enter "0.33" it turns into something like, "0.3300000000346511", and the numbers keep shifting whenever I click the checkmark, even though eventually the look correct

-have to edit quantity twice to get the calories to show the right values

-newest thing: the percentage daily values are given as the same number and the grams of the ingredient in the nutrition facts.

-the popup for logging your recipe crashes the site and I have to reload (Safari only)

-trying to view the complete listed nutritional info popup by clicking on the name of the ingredient freezes the site and need to reload (Safari only)

-in general, it takes 6 to 10 seconds to complete a task after clicking a button. It really adds up...

• FredDoyle
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    If by sophisticated you mean a programmer found a neat way to do something without regard to the actual utility of the tool, then yes.
    Now go in and switch out an item in one of your existing recipes. Not very sophisticated, or possible even...
    Edit recipe is back thankfully.
    This may just be a case where they are only implementing changes one by one in order to keep the builder online...

• Basilin
    Options

What? It was much harder the old way to switch an item out. You'd have to delete it, click add ingredient again, and add it that way. In the new tool, deleting an ingredient is faster and adding it is faster as you don't reload the whole page or go to a different page to do it. And you can change the quantity of an ingredient without deleting and re-adding it...

• FredDoyle
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »

What? It was much harder the old way to switch an item out. You'd have to delete it, click add ingredient again, and add it that way. In the new tool, deleting an ingredient is faster and adding it is faster as you don't reload the whole page or go to a different page to do it. And you can change the quantity of an ingredient without deleting and re-adding it...

^^ Look up

• Basilin
    Options

^^ Look up

Nice weather we have.

• FredDoyle
    Options

^^ Look up

Nice weather we have.
    Rainin' and 5 degrees C here :(
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

God bless you! LOL :smiley:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    WHAT has happened to the RECIPE TOOL on this site?
    I'm working from my PC, on the website itself- and can't create a NEW recipe.
    What's WORSE is the original recipes I've been saving since 2011 ...the information I'm finding there has deleted the brand(s) of the ingredients I used.
    I spent a LONG TIME tweaking recipes to lower the sodium and sugar levels- and found SPECIFIC brands that make that possible.
    I'm frustrated...

Any suggestions?

They TRASHED the tool. I am crushed about it. I spent so much time entering recipes and now they're all ruined.
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I'd rather deal with that one inconvenience than the slew of bugs, incorrect information and difficulty of use.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    By 'more sophisticated' I mean you can now paste in a url of an online recipe and it does the rest. Or you can paste in a recipe. Or you can type in the recipe in lines without having to hit 'add ingredient' and fill out a search form for each one.

Before MFP changed it I used to use the similar tool here at the link below, so maybe I got used to it here faster? I haven't used the new here a lot and haven't edited old recipes so maybe I'll grow to hate it. But I've used it 3-4 times and it worked great. I think it helps if you know how to type in 'recipe speak'... '1t' for one teaspoon, etc.

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php
  • Basilin
    Options

^^ Look up

Nice weather we have.
    Rainin' and 5 degrees C here :(

tumblr_mw5b1bUIfX1smk0vfo1_500.gif

• chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options

LIFESAVER THANK YOU! I also emailed MFP about this the first day I tried to use it because it was so full of bugs. Give it 2 weeks and it will either be fixed or the old recipe calculator will be back up for an option. They just shouldn't of released it until it went through further testing.