Looking for support

Options
I have been told by my Dr. I am borderline diabetic. I have started my diet on Sept 19th and have lost 6.5 pounds. I haven't been on Myfitnesspal long and are looking for friends for support and motivation. As most of is dieting is very hard and maintaining it can be even harder. I have tried for years to loose weight and that would last until the next craving, now my health is on the line, so I have to do this.
I need to loose 50 pounds and I have set goals in groups of 10, as to not get discourage.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Good job so far! Keep it up!

Also a good idea to break-up your goals into 10 lb. increments, but don't discouraged if you lose 7 or 8 lbs. and stay there for while. Celebrate that accomplishment, too!

Also, start taking measurements. The scale is not an accurate measure of health and body reshaping. Good luck!
  • shfoster0721
    shfoster0721 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Great start! I'm Steve. I understand what you are going through. I have lost over a hundred pounds since January. If not for an amazing support group, my wife, and friends I would not be where I am today. I was on meds for high blood pressure, hypertension, cholesterol, and was pre-diabetic. Now, I am off all meds and doing great. If you want to chat about my journey, need support, motivation, and or advice feel free to add me and send me a message. I want to pay it forward.

Steve
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There are 3 keys to reducing insulin resistance and keeping your blood sugars in check:
    1. Good meal planning: try to eat fresh, whole foods as much as possible: fruits (still need to limit to 1-2 servings/day because of natural sugars), non-starchy veggies (anything except for corn, peas, winter squashes), and whole grains. Avoid processed foods like white bread, white rice, etc. The more you can stay on the periphery of the grocery store, the healthier you will eat. Lean proteins and healthy fats are also important to good cell health.
    2. Exercise: exercising 150 minutes/week will help with weight loss and in reducing insulin resistance. Include cardio, strength training, and flexibility. All 3 are key components to a good workout regimen.
    3. Stress management: when you are under stress, your body releases stress hormones that increase your resistance to insulin. Do things every day that you enjoy doing and that reduce your stress. Reading books, meditating, praying, deep breathing, etc.

It may be difficult to make these changes at first, but start small and build on what you learn. The more you learn and practice, the easier it becomes.

You can totally do this!!!! :D
  • mslisa44
    Options
    I have also been told by my doctor that I am boderline diabetic. I just started last Tuesday he wants me to lose 25 pounds but since I am going to do it I figured I may as well loose what I really want to which is 45 pounds. It is not easy but now my motivation is not becoming diabetic, support is definitely very important a few of my co-workers have decided to do this with me, my doctor wants me to do low carbs. I am taking it one day at a time and walking every day.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    In addition to setting goals to lose a specific number of pounds, have you heard about 'non-scale victories'? These are positive changes in energy levels, lab values, the fit of clothing - basically any positives that happen due to changing your eating habits and exercise that help increase motivation. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My doctors told me I was borderline diabetic in 2012, now I'm just mildly insulin resistant. The advice already given upthread is good; fresh food with low GI and exercise are important.
    Try not to focus on the weight itself though. Your main goal for every day should be to eat as healthy as you can, within calorie goals whenever possible. The weight will fall off in the process.
    With thing like diabetes, it is not just weight loss as such, it is a way of life that will have to be maintained, so try to make sure that every change you make is something you can keep up for a long time.
    Other bits that might help: find a way to add movement into your life; the standard things like park further away from the store, use the stairs whenever possible, do a squat when going for something on the bottom shelf, stand on your toes a couple times if it's on the top shelf. If you sit down on your job a lot, set an alarm to walk every half an hour (it only needs to be a minute or two; go to the toilet, go up a flight of stairs, find some office-stretches online and do those). Anything that makes your muscles work makes them burn sugar, removing it from your blood, which is what you want.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Although I am not borderline diabetic I am fighting great joint pain which is keeping me from sleeping at night. I have started again this week with a new plan of attack that for now will include non-impact exercise and eating healthy. I too could use support and am willing to give support to anyone who wishes to add me.
  • 13Strong
    13Strong Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you are looking for a friend. :) I have a 100+day streak right now and do comment on other people's diarys, exercise logs, or statuses.

Else if a group is up your alley, you could try my accountability group. It's helped me with my 100+day streak and is why I show to have so many posts! lol (Link's here) .
  • kaimi2011
    kaimi2011 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    borderline diabetic since July. can add me if you'd like?