The Little Things That Helped Me Lose 135 Lbs

Options
LosingLaurensWay
LosingLaurensWay Posts: 86 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Whenever I talk to someone about my weight loss and I drop the big 135 number people always want to pick my brain. “How did you do it?” By far the number one question asked. Usually I go on about what sparked my journey, how I gained the sudden realization that I was worth it, but rarely have I ever talked about how I did it. The more I thought about it the more I realized there were little things I learned along the way that really pushed me beyond what I thought was possible. When I was overcome with doubt I relied on these mantras as my mental safety net.

Therapy
The biggest factor in my journey has been therapy. Without it I wouldn’t have the mental strength to have pushed so far for so long or past those nasty plateaus. It helped me realize my emotional connection to food and that I needed to find healthier ways to deal with stress and my head constantly buzzing. With a lot of work I replaced food with running, yoga and blogging.

Change How You Think
This basically goes hand in hand with therapy, but you need to address how you think about food. Before I started food was a comfort, now it is a fuel source for physical activity. Food now serves the purpose it is meant for.

Nutrient Dense Foods
There is a major difference between eating a croissant that has 300 calories and 300 calories worth of oatmeal for breakfast. One will keep you satisfied longer and provide more beneficial nutrients for your body and one is delicious… flaky…. buttery… totally not worth it in the long run.

Eat What You Crave
It’s a diet, not martyrdom. If you want that croissant then go for it. However, if you do know that you’ll probably be hungry within an hour. If you’re craving something that might really break the calorie bank, like say a Five Guys burger, then be prepared to spend extra time in the gym. You can eat what you want, but you have to balance it out.

Build Up to a New Lifestyle with Small Changes
When I started I was still eating at Burger King every day. Some of my first changes were proportion changes, so instead of a regular whopper with medium fries I got a whopper jr with small fries. In time I took away the cheese, then the fries. Eventually I had to skip BK all together, but it was a slow, gradual distancing. A year and a half later I rarely go in to a fast food restaurant, save for my saving grace the beautiful and wonderful Panera. It’s all about making gradual changes feel natural, so they become true habits.

Learn To Push Yourself
So this is one you have to learn through experience. There is a difference between giving up and accepting your limit. In the beginning I received the greatest advice regarding physical activity from my uncle who was a marathon runner, keep going until it hurts or is no longer fun, but still push your limit. When I started I struggled to walk for more than 15 minutes, now I run every day for 40 minutes. I didn’t just start running one day, I slowly conditioned myself to that point, running for 30 seconds walking for 2 minutes, slowly building my endurance. If your knees or muscles hurt or you are completely winded, walk, but never simply give up.

The Weight Loss Trifecta
Calorie reduction, cardio and weight training – this is your Holy Trinity when it comes to weight loss. I doubt many people would dispute the first two, but the sheer mention of weight training and women start running away. Fact of the matter is ladies unless you are training to bulk up, you won’t. Also the same weight routine month after month won’t do you any good either. You need to be proactive and find a new routine every few weeks. Don’t spend hours a week on the elliptical! Change it up! Try new machines, try classes at your gym, heck go for a run outside. Do whatever it takes to keep pushing yourself. At this point in my journey I can start to see all the hard work I’ve put in to my body. The more weight I lose the more my sculpted muscles start to peek through. Let me tell you what, it is the most rewarding feeling I’ve ever felt.

Keep It Up Even When You Doubt Yourself
I’ve been through at least six plateaus since I started, some lasted a few weeks, one lasted five months. In each case I kept up my hard work, I kept pushing and eventually those barriers broke down. Each one of these tips helped me maintain my drive and reminded me that I was living a new life, a healthy life.

If you are just starting out or if you’ve hit a wall I hope these little pieces of advice help you. If there are any you’d like me to elaborate on or if you have any questions feel free to ask! Also feel free to add me! I accept everyone :smiley:

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Amazing work! Congratulations!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Great job! I think that last piece is the hardest for sure, at least for me it has been. Plateaus knock me off my progress completely.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Its awesome you lost so much
  • LosingLaurensWay
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Great job! I think that last piece is the hardest for sure, at least for me it has been. Plateaus knock me off my progress completely.

Oh yeah they are the HARDEST part of weight loss for sure. You lose that super high of the number creeping down and all of that validation. I just had to trust in myself and have huge amounts of hope to get through it. Without a positive mindset and hope it is near impossible to keep going.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • mikejudd90
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this with us... there are things in there that I have picked up, at the start of my weight loss journey that I think will really help.
    Mike
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing and congrats on your amazing achievement.
  • TXRangersFan76
    Options
    Talk about an inspiration - and it is so great to hear common sense, attainable guidelines! Thanks for sharing.
  • LosingLaurensWay
    Options
    Talk about an inspiration - and it is so great to hear common sense, attainable guidelines! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you! I believe the more you realize how simple it is the less overwhelming and all the more possible it will seem. Good luck on your journey!
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Best, most sensible advice I have ever seen on the forums! Congratulations!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss! Very impressive. :)
  • Kmhornak
    Kmhornak Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    that's great! Congrats!
  • yolohunter
    yolohunter Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing and congrats on your success! I definitely agree with these- esp. changing how I think about food- it is one of the biggest challenges for me, but the most important for long-term change.
  • chezzac17
    chezzac17 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    thats fantastic ! you shoould be proud of yourself...its a hard road...but worth it !
    Congrats !!
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your journey. You truly are an inspieation.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on the weight loss! Thank you for sharing your advice and being an inspiration for others!
  • DevilsNegu
    DevilsNegu Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the good ideas:)
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing, and Congrates on your awsome weight loss.
  • Brownseabottles
    Options
    You've done amazingly well, congratulations.

When you reached those plateaus, did you change anything - e.g. reduce calories, change the foods you were eating or increase exiercise - or did you just keep going as you were until you eventually started to lose again?
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    All of this! :)