NSV-running.

Options
v_cowley
v_cowley Posts: 70 Member
I am very proud of myself today.
I never thought I could run at all but today I went 2.56 miles. Yes, I walked half but I achieved something today and I will get there and run it all eventually.
I always hated recommendations out there to lose weight that just said, oh, go run a mile. I was like: err it's not that simple!
I'm sure to lots of you this is nothing, to me it is everything.

Replies

• WolverhamptonFitness
    Options
    Congratulations. 2.56 miles is a fair distance. keep going and plugging away, I have a daily run around 2.5 miles, but 4 months ago I couldnt walk 1 miles without noticing i did it!
  • v_cowley
    Options
    I have a daily run around 2.5 miles, but 4 months ago I couldnt walk 1 miles without noticing i did it!
    Well done you! Well done us! I'm feeling on a bit of a high from it I think!

• HeyHeyJLynn
    HeyHeyJLynn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It's something to me!

A couple months ago, I left my apartment and ran/ walked 1.5 miles for the first time in years. It was HARD but it felt amazing! And just like you, I was so proud and it was everything to me... But you, you went 2.56 miles! Now *that's* something... Recover and do it again soon?? :)
  • v_cowley
    Options
    JLMont31 wrote: »
    It's something to me!

A couple months ago, I left my apartment and ran/ walked 1.5 miles for the first time in years. It was HARD but it felt amazing! And just like you, I was so proud and it was everything to me... But you, you went 2.56 miles! Now *that's* something... Recover and do it again soon?? :)

Thank you! Well done to you too! I wanted to do a 5k route to see how far it was, thought I would run/walk the first half and probably walk the rest but I managed to keep it up all the way :]

I definately intend to go out again soon. Tomorrow depending on how I feel, I don;t want to be silly.

You keep it up too! We'll get there!
  • Flips37
    Flips37 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great job! You'll be surprised how the miles add up when you keep up with it...
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I started out as a walker and still consider myself a walker. But I have now run in 10k and 15k something I would have never thought possible two years ago. Beware running can become an addiction. Run/walk can do as well or better than some people that run the whole time. Have Fun that is the most important thing.

29509743.png
  • v_cowley
    Options
    Thanks guys, I just had to get it out there! I was always a walker too, quite a fast walker and for massive distances without a worry. Running is a completely different kettle of fish for me.
    I used to go to a gym and I got a personal trainer to help me try to get a start on a running routine, I was just incapable.
    I'm actually heavier now, must be my frame of mind to try harder now!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    hey thats definitly an accomplishment....good for you...youll only want to run farther from here!!!
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! When I first started I couldn't make it half a mile without walking. Just keep it up and it'll get easier and you can go farther.

Maybe look into the C25K program? I really liked it!!
  • talktometk
    Options
    I started walking on July 29th, I can walk 3 miles now but can only run for 5 minutes.... how much longer until I can run a mile?
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    That IS an accomplishment!! It used to take me right at an hour to walk a 5k; now I can run it in under 30. YOU GO GIRL!!!
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    v_cowley wrote: »
    I never thought I could run at all but today I went 2.56 miles. Yes, I walked half but I achieved something today and I will get there and run it all eventually.
    I always hated recommendations out there to lose weight that just said, oh, go run a mile. I was like: err it's not that simple!

awesome :) i can remember a lot of my goals from walking 3km to running 5km to starting to set time/distance goals and achieving them.

Distance and time dont matter as long as you are doing something and challenging yourself. keep it up :)
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!! What an accomplishment :smiley:
    I will never forget the day I ran my first mile without stopping!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

It's the first step! Every mile is a victory!
  • lujako
    lujako Posts: 87 Member
    Options

You should be! WTG

• marcglowacki
    marcglowacki Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. I started Dec 6 2013 and ran 64 steps..that's right 64 steps. Within 6 weeks I could run (very slowly) 2.1 miles. In March 2014 ran/walked a 5k. It adds up quickly and your body adapts super quickly. Read the book 'Born To Run"..Christopher McDougall. By the way...I'm new. What is an "NSV?"
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    JLMont31 wrote: »
    It's something to me!

That's freaking awesome!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!
  • jess031988
    jess031988 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!!! Keep it up

2 months ago I couldn't even run for three minutes, now I can run over 30-40 minutes non stop and over three miles. Keep on it, do it 4-5 days a week and always go one minute extra you'll surprise yourself.
  • v_cowley
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone :] Still pleased with myself and going out again tomorrow, it's great to hear everyone elses progression with their running too! I keep being surprised by how quickly people got better at it. Exciting stuff!
    By the way...I'm new. What is an "NSV?"
    I'm quite new too and had to look it up when I was forum surfing :] It means Non Scale Victory.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I love the feel after running a while. I started out where you are, but I might not be that far ahead. Keep up the good work. You will amaze yourself before you know it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!