Need help, folks

Options
So, I am a 19 year old male college student who is 5'5 117. I am active during the day … walking all throughout campus. I also run for about 50 minutes everyday. My parents are really on me to gain weight but it is so difficult for me. MFP says my BMR is 1400 and I should eat 2400 calories a day. Today, I have eaten 14 grilled chicken nuggets for 300 calories and 8 g of fat… plus BBQ sauce & fruit. Is this a lot? Any advice on gaining? Thanks

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Gaining weight is easy. 14 grilled chicken nuggets is not the way to go about it, though. You said yourself that was 300 calories. If you should be eating 2400, do the math; 300 is not a lot, it's 1/8 of what you should be eating per day.

Is there a reason you eat so little? At 19, my son could eat me out of house and home. Try adding protein shakes between meals. Use olive oil and butter. Peanut butter is also good.
  • Hymay
    Hymay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you are not intolerant of milk products, you could try GOMAD. (gallon of milk a day) I often see it used by folks trying to gain weight, but cannot give you any of my own experience with it. Full fat milk, organic or pastured grass fed if possible. Don't try it full on the first day.. .work into it, as you may find an intolerance as you increase the volume. Google for specifics or any science backing.

Avoid Soy products, they are often reported as estrogenic.

Why are you running? If there's no sport or other reason, think about switching to weight lifting (strength routine), OR switch to tabata style windsprints rather than distance. "Heavy" lifts, or sprints will increase T, & should help you build. Compare the body types of marathoners to sprinters. The muscle types are different, both functionally and structurally.
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband was tall and thin. To gain weight, along with lifting, was lots of protein and carbs. For protein after lifting he would eat a can of tuna. He ate all through the day. Don't depend on fried food, that will just get you heart problems. Drink protein shakes you can get at the grocery store for added calories. :)