Anyone Get Lost Weight/Toned Up With Pilates in Place of Weight Training?

Options
rosestring
rosestring Posts: 225 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
The title pretty much explains it all. Has anyone used Pilates in place of weight training? Of course, I know there needs to be between 30-45 minutes of cardio as well.

I ask because I have tried both Pilates, as well Jillian Michaels' 30DS and I feel all of my muscles working so much harder with Pilates (even the glutes, which I NEVER feel even from sqauts/lunges). Not to mention, I also enjoy it much more than traditional strength training.

I realize this method would take longer, but I feel I would at least enjoy it more.

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Huh... I don't know... anybody know?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Yes I have. I'm a big fan of pilates. Pilates, like you say, seems to find so many more muscles I didn't know I had, versus weights. When I was at my fittest size 6 it was pilates that gave me the nice waistline and targeted my lower abs the best. I've never had such a lovely tummy as I did when I was slim, trim and had done pilates.

Then came the car accident and stress of life, and here I am now 40lb overweight and trying to get back there again, and I'm using that same pilates routine as part of my workouts. LOVE the way it works.

Too many injuries etc around my body for me to LIFT LIFT LIFT like the mantra seems to be on MFP.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have done some beginner Pilate exercises and I thought they were pretty good, especially for the core. I think you would achieve better results by continuing what you call; traditional strength training. Weight training isn't easy for anyone, it's tough work but the results are worth it. If you want to hit those glutes take a look at incorporating some romanian deadlifts / stiff-legged deadlifts into your routine.

But if you don't like lifting weights then you could always give Pilates a go and see what results you get. You are better off doing something that you enjoy than something you hate.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I keep being reminded that pilates still exists
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Point?