Is it really the happiest place on earth?

Options
2»

Replies

• erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I went in March and most places inside the parks sell salads or other semi healthy options. Like everyone said you will do a ton of walking so you'll get exercise there. Buy large water bottles to bring to the park so you don't have to pay for water. We would leave and refill and then go back to the parks. If you are eating outside the parks there are lots of restaurants that you can look at their nutritional info online before you go so you know where to go and what to eat once you are there. That's what I did. I was all set to go to The outback Steakhouse, The olive garden etc.
    I highly reccomend the fast passes. We'd grab one on the way back to the house so when we went back at 7 at night we could get right on a ride. Have tons of fun. It really can be the happiest place on Earth. My son won't stop asking when we are going back.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people saying to pack along food, etc. I am too lazy to do that. I would never want to have to lug a big backpack with me all over the park and on every ride, etc. I would do the best I could while I was there. THey are bound to offer some at least NOT SO BAD options. We ate in an actual restaurant at Disney World and were able to get real food. If you choose to get a chicken sandwih that is not so bad. If you make wise choices at breakfast before the park and then selcted the best options in the park you will be fine. You will sweat your butt off if you are going to Disney World in Florida. We once went in July and it was SO hot!. You will also be on the go all day. Truly, I would do the best I can and enjoy my vacation. If you dont lose that week, so what? It will not derail your overall plan if you go slightly off plan for a few days. Just my opinion. Whatever you do, have FUN FUN FUN! Disney World is the best whether you are 3 or 93! :love:
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Yes! It is the happiest place on earth! When I went, I took a water bottle with me in my bag and just found water fountains to refill them with. Not only is it healthier, but saved lot of money. Also, when eating in the park I just looked for places that offered salads (which be careful~there are a lot of good places to eat!). If I went again I tihnk I would even take it a step farther and not only pack along water bottles but pack lunches/healthy snacks as well.

You will walk a lot! between rides! LIke I saw someone else say~there are hotels that offer gyms, but if your not staying at one of those and still want to make sure to get in your exercise for the day~maybe try doing crunches/sit ups/push ups etc. in your hotel either morning or in the evening; on top of all the walking you will be doing, you should be pretty good.

Good luck & have fun! :)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I see lots of people saying to pack along food, etc. I am too lazy to do that. I would never want to have to lug a big backpack with me all over the park and on every ride, etc. I would do the best I could while I was there. THey are bound to offer some at least NOT SO BAD options. We ate in an actual restaurant at Disney World and were able to get real food. If you choose to get a chicken sandwih that is not so bad. If you make wise choices at breakfast before the park and then selcted the best options in the park you will be fine. You will sweat your butt off if you are going to Disney World in Florida. We once went in July and it was SO hot!. You will also be on the go all day. Truly, I would do the best I can and enjoy my vacation. If you dont lose that week, so what? It will not derail your overall plan if you go slightly off plan for a few days. Just my opinion. Whatever you do, have FUN FUN FUN! Disney World is the best whether you are 3 or 93! :love:

I agree. Its too damn hot to be weighed down with coolers and extra "stuff". Go light, bring a water bottle, and call it day. I promise you will walk off any crap you eat during that week anyways.
  • DisneyMommy
    DisneyMommy Posts: 281
    Options
    Oh you will have so much fun!!!! Everyone here has given you some really great advice already. Stay hydrated and every where you go there will be healthy options. The walking is great but I didn't see which park you are visiting. CA or FL? If it's Disneyland, you'll maybe want to do some extra walking in the AM or work out with some weights or resistance bands in your room. Disneyland is much smaller than WDW. If you're going to FL, you'll have no problem getting in a great walking workout just getting around. Either way, have a great time! I'm such a huge Disney nut that I get so excited when I see other people going, LOL!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just got back from Orlando (as you can see from my photo...!)... I was there for 2 weeks & stayed @ Crowne Plaza Universal.

The hotel had a gym, which I used 4 times.... 3 days I just did 30 mins on the ellipitical , and on the 4th day I played Jillian Michaels - No More Trouble Zones DVD on my iPhone. Also, on another day I did Turbo Jam Cardio Party workout in my hotel room.

I tried to be good with my food choices, but I have to admit there were some days that I didn't even bother.....!

I ate fast-food on quite a few days - because sometimes I was just too tired to go sit in a restaurant for a healthy meal. In fact, I was quite happy when I finally came back home - so I was able to have more control over my meals....!

I mainly drank ice-tea (half & half) at meals, water at all other times. I even had alcoholic drinks (vodka, margaritas) on quite a few days.

Well when I got back, I thought that I must've gained at least 5lbs....but I weighed myself on Tuesday and found that I had only gained 2lbs.....!

So, as a lot of the other posts have suggested... you will burn a lot of calories from just walking around & being on your feet all day.... which may not be exercise calories, but this means your BMR (base calories) will be increased more than if you were at home in your normal routine.

I mean... it worked for me.... and I was bad.... bordering on very bad.....!!!!

Hope this helps...
  • LittleMissVintage
    Options
    Thanks for all the amazing tips guys. I'm glad to hear that there is a possiblitlty of losing while I'm there. Just to clarify.... When I say family I mean my sisters mom and dad (my parents just joined the vacation club and wanted to do a family thing, and my sisters b-day is in June). I tend to forget that people might think I mean husband and kids, sorry. I hope I can walk everywhere! I love walking but my family doesn't so I might just drag their lazy butts across the park. I am going to Disney world. We plan to take a day and tour our way through epoct, so that should burn some calories.
  • pittielover23
    Options
    Trust me, you are going to walk off A LOT of those calories. We go to Disneyland often (we live close and have passes) and Disney actually has many healthy options. Fruit and veggies, salads, frozen fruit bars ect. are located all over the park, so you don't have to eat crap all the time.

Try to eat dinner in an actual restaraunt and not a quick afst food style place in the park, they will have healthier options as well.

Most of all, have fun!!!!!
  • jam1166
    jam1166 Posts: 30
    Options
    I just returned from a trip to DisneyWorld with my family. I agree with the above posts, the walking will help you burn off the calories. Although I indulged at times, I ended up actually losing weight while there. Although the food is not great, I was pleasantly suprised that several places had healthy options (salads, apple slices or grapes instead of fries...). I didn't really want to go, but my husband and kids talked me into it and we had a great time! If you would like to, friend me. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a week in Florida. While we did not go to Disneyworld, we did hit many other attractions. I was close to goal weight, eating cleanly for the most part before I left. 1 week down there of eating "regular food", drinking less water and more alcohol and indulging in foods/treats I normally don't meant a 13 pound gain in 9 days. However, most of that is water related, as I have dropped 7 already in 3 days home. I did plenty of walking, but the change in my eating and drinking habits really confused my body. Don't think it will last, but it was worth it to try all the seafood and new treats/foods available.
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i forgot to mention- I chose to wear the reebok toning shoes-- and without starting a debate on whether or not they actually work, i find them to be extremely comfortable and IF they are effective, where else are you able to do so much walking?? You will see tons of people wearing toning shoes in disney.