Resistance Bands

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone can tell me how to input resistance bands training. I have been to physical therapy for weak rotator cuffs got back to where I needed to be and now because I didn't keep up with the exercises I pretty much have to start over again. I would like to add this to my exercise log as strength training but have no idea how to input or find the information. Any help would be greatly appreciated and in the mean time I'll keep trying different things to try and find the info. Enjoy your day...Judy :)

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    most people log it as cardio, then you can just put in how many minutes you do. otherwise it wants you to record sets/reps which is pretty tedious (although something thats good to do), and logging it via the cardio (search 'strength training' under cardio) might be a more accurate calorie burn.
    My experience with physical therapy exercise is that its not really strenuous to bother logging any way
  • japcrp
    japcrp Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for your input and I understand what you're saying but it's not a problem to log reps etc I just can't find anything in the database that is close to the resistance/strengthing exercises I'm doing. I spent 35 minutes today alone doing the exercises and they have to be worth something as they are difficult for me to do. I'm not in the best physical shape for a 64 year old. If all else fails I'll list it as cardio but I'll wait and see what others suggest. Again thanks for your input and your quick reply. Enjoy your day...Judy :)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    i did it the reps/sets way once and i remember the calorie count being suspiciously low or maybe it didn't even give me one. if it makes you sweat or is otherwise taxing then its worth logging.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    It's worth noting the exercise but it's not really worth logging the "burn". It's likely not even accurate anyway, don't bother with it. At a minimum, it's probably incorrect by about 25% over estimated.
  • japcrp
    japcrp Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions guess I'll figure out what to put it under in cardio/strength training. I just think if I do the work I should get some "reward" for doing it. Since I'm just getting starting I need all the credits and motivation I can get. Enjoy your day... Judy :)
  • I use resistance bands for many of my lifts. It does add to both positive and negative aspects of any weight substantially, but particularly the negative aspect. It's not necessary to slow down the lowering of the weight but just to control it as it's lowered. It's possible to use them for most exercise (pull-ups are very hard with them). I've cut down my training sessions by using bands.
    I even take them away with me when I travel for those occassions when the hotel gyms don't have enough resistance equipment.
    Well worth using.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    It's nice to track your exercise, but as far as a burn goes...there's not enough calories to eat back. But, I guess if you're completely sedentary and you want the 50 cals, you'll find a way to log it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    It is good that you have started to do some strengthening exercises, but as others have said; you really aren't burning enough calories to make it worth logging for extra food in the day.

However, as well as, or instead of, searching the data base, you can make notes for yourself showing the exercises you complete everyday, the time spent, and the resistance level used, as well as how you feel.

I am 2 years younger than you (62), and even though my calorie quota can be quite low, I think I would feel that I was eating over my goal eating back the routine you are describing, and sabotaging my weight loss goal. That is just me though.

Cheers, h.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Log it as strength training under "Cardio".