Menstruation when its not supposed to happen

Options
Hi,

I know this is TMI, but I have been bleeding moderately lightly for 3 days now, and my TOM was a week and a half ago. It is definitely blood too, not something else.

I am on birth control pills and have been on them for a long time (5 years) and I have never gotten any spotting/bleeding in between TOMs

:edit: I am 99% sure I am not pregnant... being on the pill and all

I haven't been exercising much because I am spending all my time studying.

I am under an extreme amount of stress, I have 5 finals next week and 4 of them are extremely hard. I have been studying and stressing all week. Can extreme stress cause bleeding? My stress is so high I had to go to the doctor two weeks ago to get acid reduction medicine because I was burning a hole in my stomach lining from stress.

I am not looking for free medical advice, I will definitely go see a doctor if this doesn't clear up soon or if I begin to experience any pain. I am just looking to see if anyone else has experiences this or knows anyone who has.

Thank you ladies =]

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    It could just be stress its been know to cause that.Other wise I just dont know.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Oh, awesome one....... I dunno know, I have the opposite problem, TOM is late..... a lot. And unless I am about to bear the second coming of Christ, I KNOW I am not pregnant. So perhaps dieting and exercise mess's with the cycles just a bit.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Have you been careful to take your pill at the same time every day? Pills are so low dose these days that even taking it a few hours later than normal can cause spotting.

Stress can too.

I'd wonder if it matters how close in time you take the antacid and the BCP?
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I do take my pill at the same time every day, I have an alarm.

I take the antacid in the morning before breakfast and the BCP at 8pm at night.

I am also taking:
    Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM
    Super B-Comples
    Calcium
    Omega-3 Fish oil
    Iron (when my iron intake from food is low)
    and a Multivitamin

I don't think any of these should affect my TOM, plus I have been taking them for a while and haven't had this problem
  • kristenheet
    kristenheet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem right now and going on 8 days of it! It isn't heavy but not exactly light either. I called the Dr. and they told me if it still is hapenning after 2 weeks to call them back. I also had some time off of exercise and even the diet just before it started. I would call the Dr, and see what they tell you though. I know when I looked it up online it said anything over a couple hours of this problem while on BC pill and you need to let your Dr. know.
  • MMGoodSF
    MMGoodSF Posts: 26
    Options
    That happened to me during my first month of low-calorie eating. I too have been on BC for years, taking it consistently, but I got my period a week early. Then I got my scheduled one basically right as the first one was ending.

I spoke with my doctor who told me that severely changing my eating habits was shocking my system, and as a defense mechanism, my body was making itself incapable of getting pregnant (ie: causing a period). My body may have thought I was starving or something was happening, so it created a hostile environment because I couldn't have supported a baby at that time. My doc told me to call back if it happened again, but it hasn't. I think my body has figured out that I'm changing eating habits, not lost in a desert!

Hopefully you'll be OK.. I know I was freaked out, so I get where you're coming from. Good luck!
  • alecta337
    Options
    Thank you kristen, I'll be sure to call the doctor soon.
  • alecta337
    Options
    That makes so much sense MMGood!

I have been dieting for a while now, so my body is freaked out from the diet,. Its probably reacting to the stress. Thank you so much
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've actually had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. Only mine wasn't light spotting, it was a full on period. I freaked out and called my mom because I had no idea what the heck was going on. What it basically boiled down to was stress. I was working 6 days a week between two jobs and had just finalized my divorce. Fortunately everything went back to normal the next month but I do understand and sympathize with your concern.
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    I know you've been going at the weight loss thing for a while, but mine was all over the place for 2 months when I changed my eating habits.. This week you've probably been eating differently due to stress. Maybe it is due to change in diet?
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My best guess would have to be stress; I'd be stressed times a billion in your situation.. unless you forgot to take a pill or two?
    That would happen to me when I was on yaz. If I missed one or two pills, it'd show its ugly face again.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It happened to me when I was stressed with finals last year. I had been on it for almost 6 years and I had finals, final projects and my boyfriend was coming home from studying abroad! So I was wicked stressed and got TOM a week early. So it was the stress that did me in and I'm sure it's the stress for you too!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Good Post! Mine has been all screwy the past few months too. Missed it completely (first time ever except for when I was pregnant with my son), then on time but light, then super heavy, then a week early and just spotting. I've been on bc pill for 2 years, so I was surprised with the inconsistencies. My doctor said not to worry about the missed one unless it happens again.

I was (and am) under a lot of stress, though, so like other people are saying, I'm guessing that's why.
  • jojokmack
    jojokmack Posts: 117
    Options
    MINE TOO GUYS! I HAD TWO PERIODS IN ONE CYCLE A MONTH AGO!!!! plus they have been a bit all over the place since I started changing my eating habits, so its OBVIOUSLY something to do with it.
    I KNOW THAT ANOREXICS can completely STOP periods.....and ANY change in stress & diet DOES change patterns.....so I wouldnt worry about it darling....GOOD LUCK HUN :O) xxx
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My current diet change has caused my cycle to go from my usual every 35 days to somewhere near every 20-25 days. Not happy about this.
  • alecta337
    Options
    Thank you so much all you ladies, you've helped so much!! I am going to wait and see for a few more days, then go to the doc on Monday if it hasn't cleared up.

You are all amazing and wonderful!!! <3