Protein Shake for Breakfast

Options
Hello everyone, new here, only been on this plan for 6 days!

My question is would a protein shake for breakfast be better for me compared to my normal breakfast:

Sunbelt Bakery Peanut Butter Chocolate chip granola bar (sometimes 2) the nutritional value is on here.

I'm a grab-n-go breakfast person usually only have 30 minutes or so before I'm out the door.

The problem is I've been feeling hungry 30 minutes or so after I eat, I'm wondering if the protein shake would help me make it to lunch without feeling like I'm withering away

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you not have time to make some scrambled eggs and bacon …or scrambled eggs and toast or something like that?

I only use protein shakes when I am in a bind or when my protein numbers are low …usually if I drink one for lunch, I am hungry 30 minutes to an hour later….
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You could reorganize your life not to be a "grab-n-go breakfast person." Go to bed a bit earlier, get up earlier and scramble an egg. It takes 5 minutes. I cook a whole package of bacon on the weekend and package two slices in snack bags. They are all lined up in the fridge. I also keep boiled eggs handy. Definitely more protein for breakfast will tide you over longer. Though I eat a banana every day around 10:30 to get me to lunch.
  • zenner22
    zenner22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If the protein shake works well for your schedule and fills you up then it sounds like a good fit for your needs. Why not try it for a few days and see how it works.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Probably nothing wrong with it as long as you are getting good nutrition from your other meals. Mix it with milk and a banana and you should be covered.
  • axw7454
    axw7454 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree, you should try it and see if your hungry after. I started off drinking them for breakfast along with eating a hand fruit. Currently, I just drink my shake and my black coffee and I'm good.
    Eggs and bacon would be a better breakfast though....
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't think they are that filling. Usually people recommend putting grain and peanut butter in them to make them filling, but that doesn't work for me; I end up full, but it doesn't last that long. See what you think.

I second making time for breakfast or cooking it ahead of time. Bacon is still delicious the next day if you fry it at night and stick it in the fridge immediately (no need for that microwavable cardboard bacon). Also it takes only a few seconds to throw some yogurt, fruit and granola together; and if I precook the bacon, I can make a nifty bacon/egg/cheese burger with lots of greens on an english muffin in 15 minutes (if you can get your hands on some tomato jam, it is amazing). Now that lasts for hours.

Waffles (healthy ones ;) ) can be made on the weekends and frozen, thrown in the toaster like eggos and eaten like toast. Toast with peanut butter also only takes a few seconds. Many ways to do a quick breakfast besides protein shakes!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I put a lot more stuff in mine.

First of all, it's a cup of calcium and vitamin D orange juice, and I add a small plain Greek Yogurt along with the protein powder.

Then, I put a tsp each of the following:

Chia seeds
    Sesame seeds
    Goji powder
    Acai powder
    Cinnamon
    Cacao nibs
    Hemp
    Flax (half tsp)
    Powdered Calcium
    Vitamin D – liquid
    Maca – half serving