Anyone have binging issues???

Options
2»

Replies

• barnzey901
    barnzey901 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've gone through the same thing throughout my journey. I know it's not as simple as motivation - no matter how much I told my mind that's gonna set me back I still didn't talk myself out of eating/binging (mine was evenings after a healthy day)

It sounds cliche but after a couple of bad binges in the early days I replaced the time I would be able to binge at home with a gym session or some form of activity to keep me from thinking about it. It's not fixed in a day, I know this well! But baby step and decreases in how often are all steps forward!
    Be patient with yourself and find a method of keeping your mind off of it!
  • felinasbeads
    felinasbeads Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have found that I eat to avoid doing other things. Like housework. I was home Monday by myself and ate all of the foodz. I've been on a 5 day binge streak and its been awful. I'm lacking in sleep (I have a 1 year old), and I haven't been able to get out in run because my husband hasn't been getting home early enough. I feel your pain but I can't offer help, only understanding. I guess you can just tell yourself to stop now. Right now. Not later. not tomorrow. NOW. Spend the rest of your day eating healthy. it's like quitting smoking. You go cold turkey. You slip and have a smoke. Figure it's the end of your quit, so you just go back to your pack a day. That one cigarette is not as harmful as the whole pack. So stop at the one. Start fresh. Make a plan to eat healthier today, and maybe get a walk in. A 15 minute walk is better than a 0 minute walk. Baby steps. Any step in the right direction can be repeated!!
  • proverbs_3130
    Options
    This post is honest and necessary. I had no idea so many other people struggle with this. Getting to the root of the issue is very much the only way to conquer. When I am too restrictive, I "reward" myself with a treat at night (wine, a small piece of chocolate, etc) but if there is any emotional response to a tough day with the kids, fight with my husband or feeling overwhelmed, my ability to exercise self control is out the window. I agree with the above post that planning out my day has helped me SO much. It's been a week or so since the last time I struggled. It's almost like planning my outfit for the day (I know, lame...but it's my comparison) and helps remove the emotional response. It also allows me to plan my protein and healthy fat consumption (I eat 95% paleo) and carb load the BEGINNING of my day (fruits, natural sugars, etc). It helps me feel more in control since I plan when I'm in my right mind and not after that glass of wine. :wink: I will offer what I can and pray for you, BriBrat. Add me as well so we can support each other!
  • BriBrat86
    BriBrat86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses! It makes me feel so much better to know that I am not alone and I am not the only one that struggles. This week has been hard. I havent logged and I have been eating whatever I've wanted. NOT GOOD. I've gained back 7 lbs in the last 2 weeks. :( I feel defeated, but I am picking myself back up! I would love for you all to add me as friends (I know some have YAY!) BUT the more we can support each other the better we will all be! You can also find me on my facebook page "Fit Journey" or instagram "brifitjourney" :) thanks guys. Ill get better. one day at a time!
  • indiekicks
    indiekicks Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I binge like crazy especially when I'm stressed. Today was a horrible day (one of the worst I've ever had) and I had lemonade, a large milkshake, chicken strips, AND a chicken sandwich in one setting. :(
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    lorelax wrote: »
    oh btw, i think there's a huge difference between binge eating and just not sticking to a restricted/healthy diet. Sure you can have a day where you don't eat that healthy, or when you crave something sweet. Especially when you are on a diet or try to lose weight or in other ways restrict what you eat. I still have days with cookies, or ice cream, or both.. But for me bingeing is when I absolutely lose control and eat anything and everything that I can get my hands on.

I get why we use the word binge to describe different situations and in no way do I want to disrespect the feelings or situations of others.. But for me the binge-eating was definitely the out-of-control, eating so much that I made myself literally sick-situations (and oooh the guilt and shame afterwards) and not the ooh I ate a whole chocolate-bar days..

I don't know if this makes sense to you all. And I still have (and need) those cheat-days. just not the binges anymore.

I totally agree. By definition, a binge is different than over-eating and/or overindulging. I feel as though many people (and i'm not saying people here specifically as i've just seen this in my everyday life) confuse 'binging' with 'eating more than i planned'.

Anyways - i used to struggle a lot with Binge Eating Disorder. I found a particular medication (short term) combined with therapy and support from my boyfriend is what really helped me to get better. My struggles are in remission, but i always have to practice mindfulness to ensure that they don't resurface. It's a battle everyday, because unlike most other addictions/struggles of that kind, you can't just cut the trigger out - it's something you have to face numerous times a day to survive.

I suggest that you try out numerous treatment paradigms before you settle down with something. There are so many out there, and some people respond to some better than others. I responded well to psychopharmacology and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, while i know some people who responded well to DBT. There is also a good book that may provide you with some insight (assuming you don't have a Ph.D in neuroscience that is....since it's a really basic over-view of some of brain structures) about binge eating, and a really interesting perspective. Actually, that book is what inspired me to get off the medication that allowed for me to kick-start my recovery and to use therapeutic techniques from there on. While the medication definitely was what i needed to start my recovery, i found that i continued to depend on it, which was unrealistic and unnecessary.

If you want to talk or need anything, feel free to reach out and PM me!

Oh! Also, i suggest that you try to find a DBT diary card, learn how to use them, and use them for a few weeks. It'll help you see if there are any situation-based or mood-based triggers that cause you to engage in binge eating. :)
  • Veronnie87
    Veronnie87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you're having issues with overeating/bingeing, then you could always check out if you have a local Overeaters Anonymous meeting that you could attend. If not, you can find them online. I never thought that I would qualify as someone who was a chronic overeater until I went to a meeting to support a friend who is struggling with this and started bawling when I realized that almost every single point they were talking about applied to my life. Therapy and OA meetings are slowly helping me to be more aware of my triggers and it was such a relief to speak candidly to other people about the habits of hiding/hoarding food that I have been so ashamed of for such a long time.
  • alandry2121
    alandry2121 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Been there, for sure. I haven't binged in about a month as of now, and I will say that the longer I'm away from it, the less I need it. It gets easier as I build momentum and learn to cope in healthier ways. I used to weigh over 300 lbs. I lost over 90 lbs. in 2012 before I got pregnant and didn't binge for a whole year. It felt great. Can I blame the pregnancy for why I started again? ;) That contributed, sure, but I had never fully fixed the underlying causes. I really enjoyed Geneen Roth's books on food and psychology, and am reading through them now.

Anyways, giving you my history to let you know I get it. I KNOW how powerless you feel, the self loathing, the frustration. I would be glad to be your friend on here! :)
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    read Geenen Roth's Breaking Free From Emotional/Compulsive Eating. its a short book and it basically changed everything for me. my mindset saw this whole weight thing quite differently after this book.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    read Geenen Roth's Breaking Free From Emotional/Compulsive Eating. its a short book and it basically changed everything for me. my mindset saw this whole weight thing quite differently after this book.
    Appreciate you bringing up the title of this book, going to hit the library up and see if I can find it! Thanks again.

So many good nuggets in the posts up above, OP, trust me, you're NOT the only one many of us struggle as you do and are working our way through this. There ARE ppl that were once bingers that no longer binge so there is light on the other side.. :)

I so agree with 'Big' when she shares : "I totally agree. By definition, a binge is different than over-eating and/or overindulging. I feel as though many people (and i'm not saying people here specifically as i've just seen this in my everyday life) confuse 'binging' with 'eating more than i planned'."

I do think some simply do not understand a binge for what it is. To me it's not an extra 2 cookies and another glass of milk etc. It's a hard thing to talk about to someone that doesn't live it or have understanding of it. It helps when someone brings up a thread and then one sees there are others dealing with it and looking for ways to move past it!

• SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    lorelax wrote: »
    oh btw, i think there's a huge difference between binge eating and just not sticking to a restricted/healthy diet. Sure you can have a day where you don't eat that healthy, or when you crave something sweet. Especially when you are on a diet or try to lose weight or in other ways restrict what you eat. I still have days with cookies, or ice cream, or both.. But for me bingeing is when I absolutely lose control and eat anything and everything that I can get my hands on.

I get why we use the word binge to describe different situations and in no way do I want to disrespect the feelings or situations of others.. But for me the binge-eating was definitely the out-of-control, eating so much that I made myself literally sick-situations (and oooh the guilt and shame afterwards) and not the ooh I ate a whole chocolate-bar days..

I don't know if this makes sense to you all. And I still have (and need) those cheat-days. just not the binges anymore.

I totally agree. By definition, a binge is different than over-eating and/or overindulging. I feel as though many people (and i'm not saying people here specifically as i've just seen this in my everyday life) confuse 'binging' with 'eating more than i planned'.

Anyways - i used to struggle a lot with Binge Eating Disorder. I found a particular medication (short term) combined with therapy and support from my boyfriend is what really helped me to get better. My struggles are in remission, but i always have to practice mindfulness to ensure that they don't resurface. It's a battle everyday, because unlike most other addictions/struggles of that kind, you can't just cut the trigger out - it's something you have to face numerous times a day to survive.

I suggest that you try out numerous treatment paradigms before you settle down with something. There are so many out there, and some people respond to some better than others. I responded well to psychopharmacology and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, while i know some people who responded well to DBT. There is also a good book that may provide you with some insight (assuming you don't have a Ph.D in neuroscience that is....since it's a really basic over-view of some of brain structures) about binge eating, and a really interesting perspective. Actually, that book is what inspired me to get off the medication that allowed for me to kick-start my recovery and to use therapeutic techniques from there on. While the medication definitely was what i needed to start my recovery, i found that i continued to depend on it, which was unrealistic and unnecessary.

If you want to talk or need anything, feel free to reach out and PM me!

Oh! Also, i suggest that you try to find a DBT diary card, learn how to use them, and use them for a few weeks. It'll help you see if there are any situation-based or mood-based triggers that cause you to engage in binge eating. :)

Thanks for the info- what medication were you on?