Always hungry but don't know if it's due to celiac reactions or recovering from an ed. Please help!

Options
So, I recently moved to japan and, as a celiac, have found it almost impossible to avoid gluten here even with being self catered! I find that I'm hungry or thinking about food all the time so that I find myself quite frequently uncontrollably binging. I've tried talking to my partner about it but, as I'm a recovering anorexic, he thinks it's all a good thing. But,for example, I will eat an entire tub of peanut butter to myself on top of regular meals and still not feel full!! I'm not even doing as much exercise as I was before I came to Japan and still have little to no energy, despite the extra eating. Please help, can celiac reactions make you this hungry, is it my body adjusting to extra eating or is it something else entirely?

Replies

• ShockDoc
    ShockDoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Big move is very stressful as a life event, plus new job? and easy to slip to the old you on the eating disorder side.
    I would advise seeing a local english speaking dietician who will know about the local food and can give you the specific advice you need. Add a Clinical Psychologist for added support during this transition not a bad idea too, they can also help with some cognitive behavioural approaches to the binging. Good luck!

JAPAN ! I am so envious!
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about celiac, so this is more a general approach:

Moving is stressful all by itself. Add to it the dietary issues and you have double the stress.

Try finding ways to destress the process. As already suggested, try to find a dietician who can help navigate the food. In the meantime, try sticking to food that is naturally gluten free (vegetables, meat, eggs).

Check to see if there are any celiac groups in your town, especially if there are any non-Japanese people in them (with the assumption they had to go through the same thing when they moved as you did; bonus if there is no language barrier).

Check celiac forums either on MFP or other internet places, I'm sure there are people who either live in Japan, or can help you with some of the products (my guess is spices will be the trickiest part)
  • gewent
    gewent Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you, I hadn't thought about the stress factor. Am pretty sure there are no Japanese celiac groups, but will definitely check ones for foreigners. Thanks ^_^
  • gewent
    gewent Posts: 5
    Options
    Student, alas, not a job ;P