How to take whey protein shakes

Options
So, i am doing the stronglifts program (I am lifting weights 3 times a week.)

Should i be taking my shakes after my workouts or before?
Should i take it Once or twice a day?
should i take it on my rest days?

Thanks in advance :D:D

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. You don't even need to drink a shake if you can get your protein in with food. I sometimes use protein powder on days I don't work out because I don't want to force down meat or have none on hand.

You consume protein until you meet your daily need, so if you need 2 shakes then go ahead.

You can drink it whenever. I usually try to bring one with me to the gym in case I get hungry while working out, in whcih case I drink it during my work out. Otherwise I'll drink it before if I need to, or after if I'm not hungry.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yeah, protein shakes are not magic. They are just supplemental protein. If you can reach your goal (0.8-1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass) with just food then you don't need protein shakes at all. The timing of protein is also not important as long as you are getting enough in general.
  • archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ana and BusyRae are right. I drink mine pre-workout to give me the energy. if I feel energetic, I drink it after my workout. I find it hard to get all the protein requirement through food alone. So I opt for the shake.
  • trungalung
    Options
    I take one scoop in a smoothie (with banana, strawberry, and low fat milk) for breakfast in the morning, and two scoops with water post work out.

I don't take it pre work out since I usually have dinner two hours before hitting the gym so I'm full of energy every time (C4 also helps).
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Like the others said, the main thing is hitting your protein goal. I get mine from as many sources as I can. In the end, I use whey mainly because I find it difficult to hit my protein goal, and remain within my deficit. It has the added benefit of being cheap when compared to other protein sources; even if you buy the more expensive stuff. My diary is open, feel free to browse. I'm only on my fourth week of SL 5x5, but I'm enjoying it.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much protein you get. If your general protein intake is high over a day then it really doesn't matter when you drink your shake. Or even if you drink it at all. But if your general protein intake is somewhat low. Then drinking the shake soon after a workout can make a significant difference in stalling muscle loss. Personally I do use protein shakes. As I am a big man. 6ft4 and about 180lbs of lean mass. Which means to build I need about 220gr of protein a day. Which can sometimes be difficult to hit just eating. Also I like to hit 250 just in case XD. So it can be usefull since getting 60 odd gr of protein in a 450 cal shake is pretty dense. And can make up for some more carby choices elsewhere in my day.