Training for a half marathon during winter

Options
In order to get back into running and keep my motivation going through winter I've signed up to do a half marathon in March but I'm wondering how you all manage with motivation when its dark and the weathers cold (I live in the UK so snow isn't so much of a problem)

Any tips or advice?

Replies

• hot4fitness2
    hot4fitness2 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Buy some warm ( heat gear ) running clothes. I love training in the winter. Once you get going you really warm up. I train in the winter months fo r a half marathon in May. Good luck. Keep us posted with how your training is going
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you signed up for it knowing you would have to train over winter so, as the saying goes, JFDI!!!!

make sure you have plenty of reflective gear and well lit routes planned out.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK (Scotland) I just run no matter the weather. The weather to me is no excuse. Unless it's physically dangerous I run. It's a mindset you need to get into once your out there you find you enjoy even the horrible weather. I like the fact I run outside no matter the weather while others either don't or go on treadmills. Last Winter I ran through storms and snow. In the dark via headtorch and in the day it made me a stronger more rounded runner and I'm looking forward to more of the same this year. Running in the winter is fun and the hot chocolate afterwards is fantastic!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    See if you have a Parkrun nearby, run with friends or join a running club. Running clubs are not just for pros or local elite amateurs. There will be those that cater from anyone wanting to, for example, run 10k in 30 minutes to those who simply want to finish.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    In order to get back into running and keep my motivation going through winter I've signed up to do a half marathon in March but I'm wondering how you all manage with motivation when its dark and the weathers cold (I live in the UK so snow isn't so much of a problem)

Any tips or advice?
    Here is what I jog on at home when it's freezing outside.
    I watch TV and get in some training...
    y3r1xq6gw7k9.jpg

• jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Your biggest problem is wearing TOO much. Believe it or not you can get some nasty heat exhaustion on a long run when it's 40F outside. So if you're freezing your butt off when you start, it's ok. Remember it's only cold the first mile. Wear moisture wicking clothes. Bring thin gloves that don't hold moisture and be ready to take them off and carry them in your hand half way through. Same goes for hat.
  • annie_e12
    annie_e12 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Do you have someone to run with? That really motivates me to show up. I also wimped out and bought a treadmill for those really nasty days.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Your motivation is the half marathon. If you plan to run it, you have to build up your training. And training does not include resting days because of darkness or bad weather.
    The right clothes and accessories are all you need, and of course you need to really want it. If you don't, everything will be used as an excuse.
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your tips. I'm planning on buying a reflective jacket at the weekend and my routes are all in built up areas so lighting shouldn't be a problem.

I guess I'll just have to man up and make sure I get out there even when I don't want to!
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »

Any tips or advice?
    Here is what I jog on at home when it's freezing outside.
    I watch TV and get in some training...
    y3r1xq6gw7k9.jpg

Are they any good? I think I'd end up just watching the tv and not moving if I had one of those.

I do have a gym membership for when it gets really bad out, which might do the same job. I just find since I discovered outside running, the treadmill bores me somewhat (unless there's something really good to watch whilst i'm in the gym!)

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For me, midweek sessions are generally either short (10Km) or speedwork, so in neither case more than an hour of running in the evening, until February.

My weekend long runs I'm intending on doing in daylight hours.

Kit is the key, I use Haglofs or Helly Hanson tops, and tend to trail run for my long sessions. I only use a rain shell if it's really wet.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep moving, cold shouldn't be a problem. If I'm hiking or running in freezing temps, I usually still wear just a long sleeve base layer and a single layer on my legs. The only thing I wear additional over warmer weather is gloves and a warm hat. I always carry a warm layer in my pack for when I stop though.

I actually prefer being in the cold. It's easier to manage than too much heat. You can always put more clothes on but you can only take so much off.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Gore Wind Stop running tights (run4it in the UK do them, I'm in Edinburgh and basically live in their shop) are brilliant, I ran all winter last year with them, a base layer and a t-shirt and occasionally a light 3/4 zip hoodie, but never wore a jacket. I run 4 times a week, summer time I run through the week 3 times and once at the weekend (so I can use one of the weekend days for a long lie and a rest day), but over winter (specifically starting on Sunday when the clocks change), I run maybe once or twice through the week and run both days at the weekend for the light, I do a lot of trail running and running in the dark on trails is mentally exhausting (and the dog with his flashing collar on scares the crap out of other people)!
    Put a plan in place and stick to, it just takes a bit more dedication and discipline!!