Um why did I lose weight?

Options
OK so I have been counting calories, exercising for the past 2 months. You guys may have read some of my other posts about hypothyroid. Well anyways, the past 1 1/2 - 2 wks I gave up and ate whatever I wanted. Including, pepsi, a TON of candy, JUNK!! Well I stepped on the scale just for the fun of it and I am 4 lbs lighter. I have not lost a single pound since eating healthy, and BAM I'm 4 lbs lighter. I don't understand. The only thing I can think of is maybe my thyroid meds are finally working??? I'm so confused!!!! If this keeps up I will just continue eating junk hahah!!

Replies

• khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Maybe your system got used to having low-calorie healthy meals, and eating whatever you wanted kind of "shocked" it into moving.... I don't think continuing to eat like that will have continued good results, though, so maybe if you start eating less/healthier again, the scale will continue to move....
  • jaydensmommy2010
    jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Also, before these past 2 weeks I was exercising 5-6 days a week. Now I haven't been exercising as much, but still doing it and I lost weight. I just don't understand!
  • Live4HerSmile
    Options
    If you were eating too few calories before your body would cling to every calorie you did eat, so increasing the calorie intake allowed it to let go of some of them. Your body doesn't know what you will eat like today or tomorrow, it only knows what you have fed it in the past. So when your body thinks there are not a lot of calories to be had, it holds onto everything, when you eat a little more it will let go of what it was holding on to because it assumes that it will get the same amount the next day. This is why Body for Life (and a lot of other plans) have an "Off Day" where you can eat what you want.

Your body will do the same thing with water, if thinking of it that way makes more sense.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you had built up any muscle and are losing the muscle mass it could account for the loss of weight. The addition of muscle could also explain why you weren't losing any weight. Were you measuring your inches? Muscle is denser than fat (one square inch of muscle weighs more than one square inch of fatty tissue). On the other hand, your meds could just be finally kicking in.
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options
    I didn't take measurements but I'm sure I lost inches because I can tell in clothes. I mean I only took a little "break" from dieting so I wouldn't expect to be losing weight. Like I said I still exercised, just not 6 days a week like before, only like 4 days a week for the past 2 weeks. I don't see how I could have lost muscle, but who knows. Ohh and I did change my exercise routine so maybe that helped. I was doing a lot of elliptical and some Jillian Michaels. Now I'm doing some Turbo Jam/Turbo Sculpt.

If you had built up any muscle and are losing the muscle mass it could account for the loss of weight. The addition of muscle could also explain why you weren't losing any weight. Were you measuring your inches? Muscle is denser than fat (one square inch of muscle weighs more than one square inch of fatty tissue). On the other hand, your meds could just be finally kicking in.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    All I can say is I'd be careful about continuing these eating habits. Trust me, it won't pay off in the end. Weight can fluctuate so easily, the last time you weighed and you were 4 pounds heavier, it could have been water weight or the time of day you weighed. Just be careful, it does NOT work that way. You don't eat candy and sugary sodas and lose. I can attest to that!! lol
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options
    haha oh I know that would be so great if it was true!! I was the same exactly weight for the past 6 months, then all of a sudden I weighed 4lbs lighter. I just found that odd thats all. haha
    All I can say is I'd be careful about continuing these eating habits. Trust me, it won't pay off in the end. Weight can fluctuate so easily, the last time you weighed and you were 4 pounds heavier, it could have been water weight or the time of day you weighed. Just be careful, it does NOT work that way. You don't eat candy and sugary sodas and lose. I can attest to that!! lol
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lol! Ur just like my mom! She says shes going to diet but she really doesnt n she loses weight! I wish i was like that ;)
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It's all about what you are taking in, you can eat bad and still not eat enough calories, you may have been putting more calories in while eating healthy. And like most on here say, you can't eat unhealthy forever and expect a good outcome
  • brnsgrsbody
    brnsgrsbody Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Most people have said what I was going to say in light of eating enough calories on your "dieting" phase. The thing is all eating should be a nutritional approach and something you can stick to regularly. When you need to tweak the program to lose more you only drop 500 - 750 calories deficit per day rather than 1000 -1200 like some programs.
    The reason you lost was because your body was clinging on to everything thinking of where it's next meal was coming from. IT's watching what you eat NOT just giving up on eating period.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    you cant come to any conclusions if your on meds...
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options
    Yeah.. Just got diagnosed 2 months ago with hypothyroid, so I've been on meds 7 weeks. A lot of people are saying maybe the meds are in my system now.
    you cant come to any conclusions if your on meds...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It might just be too soon for the scale to show your bad eating and lack of exercise. I know for me, it can take up to a week for a binge to show up. And then it can take a couple of weeks of good eating and exercise for me to get back to losing again. Totally not worth it!
  • jaydensmommy2010
    Options
    haha maybe my post came off the wrong way. I have been eating clean, 1 cheat day a week for a good 2 months. Lately, I haven't been as strict with myself and allowing myself to eat that tasty cake a day, or that reeses peanut butter egg, or 1 pepsi. I haven't been stuffing my face with garbage all day long like it may seem to you guys. I also cut back on my workouts, while also changing the type of exercise (adding more strength.) This change in diet has been going on for 2 weeks now. Before this, my snack was almonds, not the piece of chocolate. I have weighed the same through out my strict dieting, and once I started adding little "treats" I lost weight.. Maybe this sounds a little better then what I posted before..

Also to add to the confusion, I'm recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. :smile: Thanks guys!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    funny thing is, I have been where you are. Sometimes eating healthy gets me nowhere and eating junk gets me weight lost. Don't ask me why, it has always been like that. It took a while, (like 3 years) but my body is starting to finally respond to healthy eating tactics. And I always thought I was a rare oddity...
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    Ive done good dropping pounds but here within the last few weeks ive been at a stand still. Im eating good, staying under my calorie goal and exercising yet not a budge on the scale....its been a while I wonder if I need to have my thyroid checked again??
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well. It could be the medicine. It could be that you gave your body enough calories to drop the weight - not eating enough will stop weight loss. It could be that your body needed to be shocked. Or it could simply be that your body finally caught up. I definitely wouldn't go back to that way of eating though as it won't have positive long term affects on your weight. But, I would give yourself a cheat day now and again. I really think the confusion is good for our bodies.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    haha maybe my post came off the wrong way. I have been eating clean, 1 cheat day a week for a good 2 months. Lately, I haven't been as strict with myself and allowing myself to eat that tasty cake a day, or that reeses peanut butter egg, or 1 pepsi. I haven't been stuffing my face with garbage all day long like it may seem to you guys. I also cut back on my workouts, while also changing the type of exercise (adding more strength.) This change in diet has been going on for 2 weeks now. Before this, my snack was almonds, not the piece of chocolate. I have weighed the same through out my strict dieting, and once I started adding little "treats" I lost weight.. Maybe this sounds a little better then what I posted before..

Also to add to the confusion, I'm recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. :smile: Thanks guys!

It could also be contributed to the switch up in your exercise program OR the drop off in the amount you've been doing. Our bodies do need a rest when it comes to exercising. I usually take one full week off from the gym once every 6-8 weeks. Let's my body heal and recover from what I've been putting it through at the gym. Usually, when I go back to the gym? I've lost weight