Not getting anywhere :(

Options
Hey everyone.
I'm really new to this. I am trying so hard to lose weight. I went to my doctors last night and they advised my thyroid is still wrong so at the moment all the hard work I'm putting in apparently is doing nothing! Does anyone suffer from under active thyroids that have a specific diet plan that works? Please help :(

Replies

• Billtrek613
    Options
    Good for you, trying to lose weight. I'll let somebody with more experience answer in depth, but for all my questions, google is a first step. Did the doctor recommend a nutritionist? Most health plans cover it, esp. if there is a medical reason.
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get down on yourself. The hard work is paying off. You just happen to have a medical condition that explains some of your slow progress. But working out is still great for the rest of your body and you are forming life-long habits. Hopefully, it won't take more than a few weeks to get your thyroid straightened out and once that happens the weight will fly off. Either way, hang in there and keep your head up! Feel free to add me for support.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You should be working with a qualified dietitian on a specific weight loss plan. Get a referral from your doctor.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had thyroid cancer and had to have a hemispherectomy (they removed one half). If you've been prescribed meds, they can take up to 3 months to begin to work properly and level out. I decided to start my journey after my cancer scare, so not only was I at my fattest ever (even fatter than pregnancy), I had a bum thyroid to work with too. Take your meds religiously. Talk to a nutritionist if you feel you're not getting what you need out of your diet. But change can still be made. You have to be OCD about logging - an extra 50 calories will affect you far harder than someone with a controlled thyroid. Once the meds start doing their job, your body will respond better.
  • Dons1990
    Dons1990 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your nice words :) I'm wanting to lose weight for myself and my health and I want to do it I'm so determined! Just my luck to have an under active thyroid! Whilst everyone else is losing pounds and inches I'm still the same. I've been taking them for one year and I'm the same weight I was a year ago! I'm up to 125 on my dose of levothyroxine at the moment but I now have to have routine blood tests to check its working. I'm batteling this and my partner of 3 years admitted he is no longer attracted to me. :( just an absolute nightmare I've never really done forums ect just not something I can do alone and want to be around people who understand and not judge :) thank you all for your kind words :)