Any advice for a new runner?

Options
I really want to start running and hopefully learn to enjoy it after I get into a routine. Maybe even do a few races- I've been researching half-marathons in 2015 and wondering if anyone has any advice on starting to run and building up to longer stretches. Not sure if I could do a half marathon- but I keep going back to the idea and want to set a few goals for myself. I've got a lot of weight to lose- but hopefully the more I run, the less I'll eventually have to hold me down!

Replies

• jsalzat
    jsalzat Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    To establish the routine, I recommend starting with very short runs (5-10 minutes) but being sure to do them every day. I've had much more success when I commit to a little bit to begin with but make sure to do it consistently. When I've committed to too much before I've established the habit, I end up either giving up because I'm overwhelmed, or injuring myself which puts a halt to my progress. Once the habit is established (30 consecutive days) then I'd look into signing up for a race (maybe a 5K, for starters) and work on increasing my daily running time. Good luck in reaching your fitness goals :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Have you got a local Parkrun?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    abby5421 wrote: »
    I really want to start running and hopefully learn to enjoy it after I get into a routine. Maybe even do a few races- I've been researching half-marathons in 2015 and wondering if anyone has any advice on starting to run and building up to longer stretches. Not sure if I could do a half marathon- but I keep going back to the idea and want to set a few goals for myself. I've got a lot of weight to lose- but hopefully the more I run, the less I'll eventually have to hold me down!

i would start with a 5k or 10k instead of a half marathon, you dont want to push yourself too far too fast and end up injured.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    You may also want to check out groups in MeetUp ... if you have never been a runner, starting it a group may help get you going consistently.

I'd suggest start with a mile. Run what you can then walk the rest. Do that until you can run the entire distance then build up by 1/2 or 1 mile increments. Rinse & Repeat. :D

It is also important to note that running is rather unforgiving - so make sure you invest in a good pair of running shoes and be mindful that if you plan to run 3 times a week & miss 2 of the 3 times, when you start back up you may notice a decrease in endurance. That's normal.

Best of luck to you.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Best Advice - Just don't EVER give up on it! Running has been the best thing that has ever happened to me.
  • kirstyk05
    kirstyk05 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    2 weeks ago I was struggling with 3km, now going into week 3 I am managing 6.5km road running.

Keep at it, even on days I struggle I walk for a minute then carry on :smile:

Best of luck xx
  • marise29
    Options
    the same old rules always apply.. distance before speed.. go as slow as you possibly can for as long as you possibly can.. speed will work itself out.

maybe download a couch to 5km app to start with?.. apparently they work great.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    First of all, go to a running store and get fitted for the right shoes in the right size. This can make a huge difference! While you're there... are they affiliated with any running clubs? Do they do a weekly run? You can get some great training tips from other runners. If you belong to a gym, seek out a trainer who has running experience.

If you're planning on going it alone, there is a lot of information out on the web... If you truly are a newbie, try a C25K training regimen. There are half marathon training plans, too--try runningworld.com. A half marathon is a pretty big commitment... You should be running upwards of 30 miles per week, including a long run in the 12-14 mile range--you need to work up to this range by consistently running and adding mileage every few weeks.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options

*Get the Couch to 5K app on your phone. ANYONE can become a successful runner using this app. I am living proof!
    *If you can find a running partner, it is much more motivating. If you can't, you can still do it!
    *Sign up for a 5K. On hard days, when the craziness of life tries to make me give up, having a race date looming in my future is what motivates me to push through.
    *Also, I didn't learn this until much later (from MFP) that stretching AFTER your run will eliminate most of the soreness that might occur the next day. It's so worth the time you take to do it.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Awesome! The best thing you can do is just follow a training plan religiously. Here's a 16 week half marathon plan for beginners. http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Half-Marathon-Training-Schedule-Beginners-2845222 It has you starting at running 2 miles a couple times a week, as well as cross training and strength training. If you're not ready to start at 2 miles, then I'd first do the C25k program and then this one. I truly believe that almost anyone can run a half marathon if you just slowly and surely build up to it!

And I agree with PPs that signing up for a race is really motivating. Start with a 5k or two, then a 10k, then a half! Good luck :)
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Go slow. No, even slower than that. And keep with it. Maybe not every day but every other day is nice. Cross train on those other days. Don't give up and don't compare yourself with anyone else. Go a teeny bit longer tomorrow than you ran yesterday. Still going slow.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's all about frequency, not volume. go out as often as you can to run. a mile at a time builds up little by little.

sign up for that half marathon in the fall of 2015. look up half marathon training plans, and write down on a calendar what kind of milage you have to do every week. most conservative plans are about 8-12 weeks long and they want you to have a base of about 3-5 miles. so if you have a half marathon in mid September, you need to start training by mid June. so you have plenty of time to get to a point where you can comfortably run 3-5 miles.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I really love the couch to 5k app ! I'm on week 7 and it is really awesome, gradually gets you to run more and more, I'm doing 25 minutes of jogging - NEVER though I would be able to do that!
  • weaverjohn
    Options
    Some things you have already heard but bear repeating.
    1) Get good shoes. Go to a running store to get them.
    2) Start slow (walk 5 and jog 1) add a minute every week or so to the jog
    3) go couch to 5k, 5k to 10k, and 10k to half. Your time doesn't matter. Just start and finish.
    At 53 I went from not being able to run for two minutes to running a half marathon. 5k in March, 10k in July, and my first half in October.
    4) Buy a heart rate monitor. Use it to determine how fast to run on any given day. I have a polar and won't run without it. I know my training load on any given day, and knowing that has kept me from running on days that I shouldn't - thereby reducing the potential for injury.
    5) Find some company - if you can't carry on a conversation, you're running too fast. If you can'f fined someone to run with - get an mp3 player and sing. If you can't sing because you're out of breath - walk a little.

Lastly - like Nike says - just do it! Get out there and walk or run, At first you may have to force yourself like I did. But that changed for me, somewhere along the way I realized that I wasn't struggling with the desire to go running, it was struggling with the guilt and desire to run when I shouldn't (you body needs rest days!). Perhaps you'll find the change as well.

Oh and by the way - the majority of runners seem to be really nice pople! An added bonus.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Get good sneakers and get C25K, and it's ok to start off slow, and walk sometimes that does not make you a failure
  • Branbal77
    Options
    I've just recently restarted the couch-2-5k programs. Love them. They allow you to start slowly and just build.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started slow and steadily built up. I was running about 25 miles a week when I decided to enter my first race, a half marathon. It was a challenge but not too difficult. Get good shoes and clothing as it is getting cooler now. You will love it and the pounds will start melting off.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i personally never used an app. well, i tried couch to 5k once, and ditched it. i just wanted to run!! to have my headphones in and listen to an voice tell me to stop and start and stop again was just not my thing.

so i just kinda mapped out landmarks in my neighborhood on Google Maps, and used different tracker apps like mapmyrun or cardio trainer to track my distance and speed and time. I'd run until i reached a point, turn around and run back home.

so if you're a little more independant and wanting to control your workout, just lace up your sneakers and go for a run.