Diabetic , Obese and kicking it in the face

Options
Hi, I'm Jose. At my heaviest in Jan 2014, I weighed 231 lbs, was diabetic and on Cholestrol Meds. Exercise and calorie counting has placed me at 199 lbs, completely stable blood sugar (on meds) and normal levels of everything else.

I’m looking for friends who can support me as weight loss gets harder. So far, I don’t have any pals on MFP and I’m out to change that
7w7ha0hdr19m.jpg

Replies

• jessicatrogers1
    jessicatrogers1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My husband tested pre diabetic last year. So we are both trying to lose weight to reverse it for him if we can.
  • josepratheesh
    josepratheesh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is possible. Just stay positive.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    It is possible. Just stay positive.
    So true! Here's a link to a group you might find helpful on here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

• TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Fellow diabetic, on meds for blood sugar, hoping to avoid insulin. Lost 20 lbs in the last 3 months, going for 20 more for now. Feel free to follow me, I've been at this a long time and I'm finally getting closer to my goals. Hoping to kick the meds completely and manage with diet and exercise only, but need to be at 200 lbs or less for that to happen. Feel free to FR.
  • blewisjr
    Options
    I agree. I was blood tested on September 9th and my blood sugar was 286 with an A1C of 10.4. Since I was going to have bariatric surgery I went on a high protein, low carb diet. Within 10 days my blood sugar was back to normal levels (no meds). My blood sugar average is now 87 and my last lab test my blood sugar was 75. I have also lost 47lbs so beating Diabetes is completely possible with the right diet and weight loss.
  • Sharkman59
    Sharkman59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looking good Jose!

I am in a similar situation. Diabetic and have gone from 235 down to 198. Still on meds for diabetes and cholesterol. I have signed up for a 5K run in December to keep me motivated on the exercise end. Just keep doing what you are doing!
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm living proof it can be done.

Diabetes at one stage of life was 40+ which for uk meters just makes them come up H1, now it always around 6.7 and have maintained it with diet for 3 years now, and 2 metformin, even got off insulin injections.

Cholesterol was through the roof, now normal

BP was dangerously high... now perfect

was up to 322pounds at one point, now am at: 224 and slowly dropping.

Thats with almost no exercise as I have very poor mobility.

So yes, it can be done, happy to help in private, saves any arguments with other mfp'ers that have different opinions :)

Feel free to message/add me if you wish anytime.

Blessed be
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    T2D here. Diagnosed September 11, 2012; started at 343 and 5'4", BMI of 61, A1C a staggering 14.5. Started on Lantus, Novolog and Metformin (4 shots a day).

Now 235 lb., (still losing), BMI under 40 (okay, it's still in the obese range, but hey - under 40 is an accomplishment), A1C now 4.9 with a daily BG average of 78. No medications at all - controlled through diet and exercise only.

It's possible.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    amazing progress!!! you got this!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    WTG!! That is fabulous!

If you're looking for a friend that will cut through the bull#$%@ and tell you what you need to hear not what you want to hear and give honest feedback I'm your gal. Feel free to friend me.
  • josepratheesh
    Options
    I am looking for a friend who do honest feedback. Thanks for being supportive
  • josepratheesh
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I hope to support you in turn. Let's roll up our sleeves and get to work.