reinvention day 1

Struggled a long time and need to really restart my life. Have lived too many years with a lot of fear and stress and need to stop making excuses why I'll do something tomorrow.

Not sure how to start, just jumping in and not sure really about this site, though I have heard some really good things.

I do know that I need both accountability and some friends to go along the way. Asking for help is difficult for me and so I guess this is step number one for me.

I need help and some friends.

#2. I have a question about doing this low carb. I dont want to start a war or diet riot, but could I get some honest, rant-free feedback on plusses or minuses of this type of lifestyle.

#3. I guess following closely on the heels of the previous one, does anyone have any experience with intermittent fasting and thoughts/opinions on that?

Thank you much.

Replies

• gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    #1. I love MFP. the phone/ipad apps rock. Bar code scanner is awesome! scan the code, POP comes all the nutrition info for the product! I use MFP in conjunction with my Fitbit. the two work together really easily. both help keep me on track. for the most part. I still have had lapses, though they have been fewer and farther between and don't last for months on end like they used to!
    #2. you can adjust your macronutrient profile. just set it to what you think you want.. IE 40"% protien, 30% fat and 30% carbs.. or whatever makes you happy. I won't argue low/no carb with anyone. I love my fruits and veg and grains. It's keeping the overall quantity in check that has worked best for me. Low carb may be what's best for you. I'm an LVT(vet nurse) and have seen what ketosis does to cattle, and it' ain't pretty, so going really low carb will not ever be in my future.
    #3. I can't speak to this, as I don't fast unless it's for a medical test! sorry! I do know that for me, going too long and getting too hungry is a recipe for binge eating, and that often entails all the "wrong" stuff!
    good luck to you!
  • thank you!
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    The low carb thing is to reduce body fat and control blood sugar. I don't recommend removing carbs, since fruits and veggies are GOOD. It also helps people who have a gluten allergy.
  • ok, thank you. And.... by the way... you are my very favorite companion!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Welcome to the beginning of your new lifestyle!!!!