Workout = Gain??

Options
I have lost 60 pounds doing a LCHF woe. On 10/15 I weighed 200.6 and the same day I joined the gym. I do 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength/weights that include biceps, triceps, hamstrings, abs, shoulders etc.) Typically I do 3 sets of 12 and I make sure it isn't too hard or too easy to get through all three sets. Today I weigh 204. What is the deal? My eating is the same. Is the new exercise routine causing me to hold water? I try to drink a lot, but no matter what I wake up every morning parched.

I heard that muscles can hold water, but how long can I expect this to go on? I am so close to my goal and it is frustrating to still be over 200 and in fact gaining after sweating my rear off and paying money to do so. Any advice or wisdom you can share?

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Any new exercise routine very often causes water retention for a week or two, as your body adjusts. You're doing great - keep doing what you're doing. It'll come off in no time. :)
  • Ashleigh_LP
    Ashleigh_LP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you are working that hard then I think the question would be what are you eating? Have you adjusted this now that you've lost so much weight?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is most likely due to the new exercise routine, because yes, when you put your muscles under a new stress such as a new or more intense workout they retain water for cushioning and to assist in repairing themselves. It is normal, it should dissipate over the course of a couple of weeks (ish) as your body adjusts. Patience! :)

(PS, it could also be water retention due to where you may be in your menstrual cycle - or a combination of the two - but it is most likely to be due to the exercise routine)
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but when you start using those muscles they will retain water for repair. I'm not sure how long it lasts. If your using weights every other day, weigh yourself the morning of your training day, giving your muscles time to repair and release the water.
  • MonikaBori
    MonikaBori Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. I researched it and found many fitness sites that explained how starting a rigorous exercise routine can cause short-term gain(not really gain). If you're feeling soreness, like I sure did, that is inflammation. Inflammation is your body's rush to heal those areas. My numbers on the scale went up slowly for about a week and half, then there was a quick jump back down to where I was before starting the workouts. Now I'm back to losing pounds slow and steady. The key is to not let the numbers on the scale cause you to give up. Hang in there!!!
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me when I start a new routine, go up in weights or have a particularly tough workout. A good example is the weekend before last. I went for a 15 mile hike\trail run (hiked up, ran down) and gained 4 lbs in one day. It came off in about three or four days, which is pretty normal.
  • TXMary2
    TXMary2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I knew it wasn't from my food and figured it was something to do with water and muscles. Thanks for confirmation. I will just push on through and continue to drink a lot of water.