Any ideas for cooking Asparagus and Brustle Sprouts?

Options
Camilleathome
Camilleathome Posts: 99 Member
Both are sitting in my fridge and need to be cooked soon. I don't want to use a white sauce for the asparagus because Hello calories. Would love to get some recipes from you all.

Replies

• lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to roast most of my veggies. I had roasted asparagus last night. Olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Delicious!! Works well with brussel sprouts too.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    lx3tx has it right. I add a bit of red wine to that mixture, 'cause I like to cook with wine. It's amazingly good.

I like steamed asparagus, too.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Chop brussel sprouts,
    Fry up some bacon,
    Then take the brussel sprouts and throw them out,
    Eat the bacon instead because brussel sprouts are yuck!

I'm am joking of course, But have you tried roasting brussel sprouts? Quarter them, sprinkle with garlic and soy sauce and roast them untill they look done. Yummo.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I made some oven roasted Brussels sprouts last night. Really simple recipe.
    fresh brussels sprouts washed and cut in half or quarters, olive oil, and your favorite seasonings. Toss the sprouts in the oil and seasonings until coated. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, turning them about half way between. I cook mine a little longer so they can be crispy.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I really like this recipe for brussels sprouts:

allrecipes.com/recipe/breaded-brussels-sprouts/
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes, roast those brussels. I like to toss them in a little oil and cajun seasoning then roast until carmelized. Asparagus is also good roasted, but my favorite way to cook that is to saute it with coursely chopped garlic in a little olive oil.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    A co-worker gave me his secret to cooking sprouts: cut an 'x' into the stem end of each one and cook in chicken broth until tender.

I gave it a try and now instead of eating them a couple of times a year, I probably eat them once every couple of weeks. They're so good this way!
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Asparagus....mix 1 TBSP olive oil, 1/2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar and pressed fresh garlic, salt and pepper. Brush olive oil and bake for about 5-10 minutes at 400.

Brussels-steam, then saute in olive oil and fresh pressed garlic. Yummy!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Roasted Brussels sprouts are my favorite.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Brussels sprouts I don't know. Asparagus, I like to steam it and drizzle some lemon juice and just a smidge of butter on top. Asparagus crepes are also awesome!
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    lx3tx wrote: »
    I like to roast most of my veggies. I had roasted asparagus last night. Olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Delicious!! Works well with brussel sprouts too.

This. I like to add parmesan to the asparagus and balsamic to the brussel sprouts.

I also used to cook bacon, drain most of the fat, remove bacon and crumble, Sautee the sprouts with some mushrooms in the same pan the bacon was cooked in and that and the bacon crumbles to brown rice.
  • fat3mama
    Options
    I LOVE brussel sprouts. Here are my 2 favorites.

Boil for 2-3 minutes (I like mine under done) Add a little butter, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.

Boil for 2-3 minutes. Add real bacon bits and durkee onions
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I roast mine with purple onions and apples. Cut apples and onions into 1/2" wide wedges, trim sprouts and cut in half the long way. sprinkle all veggies with olive oil, salt, black pepper, rosemary and a little bit of balsamic. toss together to blend and pour out on foil coated pan. Roast at 350 for 20-30 minutes, flipping them over half way through.
    Asparagus is good coated in panko, herbs & parm and oven "fried".
  • fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love roasted b sprouts, once you try them you will never have boiled ones again. there are all sorts of things you can put on them, but I throw some bacon bits on them (real ones). My kids can't stop eating them.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Shred the sprouts. Do a quick saute with some garlic. Add some lemon or orange zest.