Workouts not hurting any more?

Options
My workouts don't hurt anymore. When I first started working out I'd be sore for a couple days, now nothing. I've tried increasing the weights and adding a few more machines, but nothing. On each machine I do 2 sets of 12 on the heaviest weight I can move. Isn't it supposed to hurt when it is working? Am I doing something wrong? I drink a protein shake after each workout, so maybe I'm just recovering faster? Any ideas?

*I should note, cardio still kicks my butt.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I didn't find weights hurt when I did them regularly. It's cardio that makes me ache. Well, specifically lunges!
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try to switch it up. Do a few weeks of cardio and a class at your gym, or maybe cardio and a workout tape where weights aren't the main focus. I know that our body pump routine is switched out every 3 months to induce muscle confusion and keep the muscles from getting used to the routines. Sorry I don't have any more help to give. I do a bunch of different activites from playing volleyball with friends, to riding horses, to doing classes at the gym so I don't usually get a break from some new muscle being sore.
    Good luck
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Slow down your reps to a 5/5 cadence, meaning 5 seconds up 5 seconds down for maximum set of 12, then once you can complete that set increase the weight. Slow and controlled reps to eliminate all possibilty of momentum. I do sets to failure, meaning as soon as I can complete a set of 3 X 6 reps of a weight I increase that weight, all slow and controlled reps. Everything I do for weight training follows that principle.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.
    You're body is getting used to excercising so it's not going to hurt as much.

I'm usually only sore on leg days now. Soreness isn't a sign of a good workout, so don't feel like you aren't working hard enough.
    As long as you're adding weight to your excercises, and consistently getting stronger, you're on the right path.
  • Live4HerSmile
    Options
    Have you tried increasing your sets/reps?
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Slow down your reps to a 5/5 cadence, meaning 5 seconds up 5 seconds down for maximum set of 12, then once you can complete that set increase the weight. Slow and controlled reps to eliminate all possibilty of momentum. I do sets to failure, meaning as soon as I can complete a set of 3 X 6 reps of a weight I increase that weight, all slow and controlled reps. Everything I do for weight training follows that principle.

You don't use more force for the positive portion of the rep? I'm all for slow negatives, but exploding upwards on bench/squats really builds power.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    Change up your routine. The body adapts over time.
    Also add one more set and reduce the reps down to 8 - 10.
    Make sure its a weight that you almost want to quit during the last two reps of each set.
    You will find that you will have a little pain through the exercise but quickly recover if you are eating right.
    Normally I don't feel the soreness (DOMs) until 24 -46 hours after a workout session.
    Note: I do not workout more than 1- 2 muscle groups per session so that I am focusing only on that body part.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I miss when I got sore :sad: It means that your body is getting used to it. It also means that you can push yourself harder. Even without getting sore anymore, you will still see improvements in endurance and strength when you continue to workout.

I would suggest don't increase sets / reps, increase weight. If you're strength training, you want to increase strength, which means more weight. If you increase sets / reps, you're going for endurance.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    You don't use more force for the positive portion of the rep? I'm all for slow negatives, but exploding upwards on bench/squats really builds power.
    I do when I am doing metabolic resistance training, but when weight lifting no I do not, it takes more effort to raise slowly than explosively, I learned this technique from some body builders that I used to lift with when I was younger and it worked wonders for my mass gain when I was on the muscle building program. The weight program I use is very similar to the max OT weight training system.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

I do when I am doing metabolic resistance training, but when weight lifting no I do not, it takes more effort to raise slowly than explosively, I learned this technique from some body builders that I used to lift with when I was younger and it worked wonders for my mass gain when I was on the muscle building program. The weight program I use is very similar to the max OT weight training system.

I'll have to give it a shot at some point then.
    I've always done explosive force on leg press and squats and stuff. I've always heard its beneficial for acceleration when running.
    I've started to slow my negatives down lately and I can definately feel the benefit from that.
  • muriah2
    muriah2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bumping this!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys have given me some good ideas