Jillian's Body Revolution is killing my wrists!

Options
I started week 11 today. I love the workouts and am super happy with the results.

But...my wrists are killing me! Week 9 had a lot of plank stuff. I like plank moves and feel like my core strength is up to whatever she dishes out. But my wrists! All that planking and all those pushups are straining my wrists to where I'm not sure I should continue.

Anyone else dealt with this? What did you do? Push through it? Quit Body Revo and just move on to a new workout?

Replies

• jussy123
    jussy123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't use that DVD, but I also don't do planks, or side planks on my hands, for the same reason that it hurts my wrists. I do them on my forearms, on a bosu ball. (I find it engages my core a bit better.) You don't need to buy the bosu ball though, if you don't have one. Good luck, and take care of your wrists!
  • sbenner17
    sbenner17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have someone take a picture of your in your plank. This way you can take a look at your form and see what you may be doing wrong. A lot of time, your muscles are not use to being used, and it takes a bit to get them to the strength you need.
    Don't quit, you got it. You may need to find a regression on the planks (your elbows are actually a progression, but if it works better for you- Go for IT!)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing up the end of the program, and I've had to be very careful with my wrists (already had 10 weeks of physio on my right wrist earlier this year). I try to modify where I can by taking some of my weight off by either going onto my knees or using the landing on my stairs to change the angle. Sometimes I just have to do a similar move that isn't in a plank (like subbing high knees for plank mountain climbers).
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I haven't made it up to workout 11, but would it be possible to modify by putting the weight on your forearms while still holding plank? I know she likes to add in crazy leg moves with her planks, so that might not be doable in that workout, but I have done it in the past with some of her other workouts with success.
  • sydsquidlee
    sydsquidlee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Do you do the plank work on a hard surface, I find using a good yoga mat helps me
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    JenSD6 wrote: »
    I'm just finishing up the end of the program, and I've had to be very careful with my wrists (already had 10 weeks of physio on my right wrist earlier this year). I try to modify where I can by taking some of my weight off by either going onto my knees or using the landing on my stairs to change the angle. Sometimes I just have to do a similar move that isn't in a plank (like subbing high knees for plank mountain climbers).

I was sure I couldn't be the only one with this problem. It's just a LOT of planks and pushups. I thought workout 9 would be the end of the wrist strain (I thought that one was the worst) but no, there's MUCH MORE in workout 11.

I'll be doing it again tomorrow, and will try modifying by dropping to my elbows. Not sure it will work well because that means I'll be modifying most of the workout. We'll see!
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    cateyedkp wrote: »
    I haven't made it up to workout 11, but would it be possible to modify by putting the weight on your forearms while still holding plank? I know she likes to add in crazy leg moves with her planks, so that might not be doable in that workout, but I have done it in the past with some of her other workouts with success.

It may be possible, although she really mixes it up in this one. There are even these sort of bouncing push-ups -- not gonna happen with my middle-aged wrists. And there's one where you hold yourself in a chaturanga pushup -- ouch!
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    Do you do the plank work on a hard surface, I find using a good yoga mat helps me

I'm on a yoga mat with some nice carpeting underneath, so I'm all set with padding. If I had to do it on a hard surface I don't think I could do it at all. That would hurt in so many ways. :o
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Do not push thru it. I pushed thru my wrist pain with yoga and now I have to get surgery. Sorry, it may not be what you want to hear but repetitive stress injuries are very difficult to manage without surgery. HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER!!!!
  • Ruedora
    Ruedora Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    xzw2pwjyg7aj.jpg
    Something like these work great for push ups and planks if your wrists are sore. You are able to keep your wrists straight while still targeting all the wonderful places that pushups and planks are good for. You can also use a couple of large hex weights or any weight with a flat side to the ground (so it doesn't roll or move).
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    Ruedora wrote: »
    xzw2pwjyg7aj.jpg
    Something like these work great for push ups and planks if your wrists are sore. You are able to keep your wrists straight while still targeting all the wonderful places that pushups and planks are good for. You can also use a couple of large hex weights or any weight with a flat side to the ground (so it doesn't roll or move).

Nice! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try using my square weights tonight. Thank you!
  • 7elizamae
    Options
    7elizamae wrote: »
    Ruedora wrote: »
    xzw2pwjyg7aj.jpg

Nice! Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try using my square weights tonight. Thank you!

I had good results using my square 5lb weights tonight. I'll probably still modify a lot of the wrist-strainers in workout 11, but the weights helped a lot.

Thankful for the easy-to-find advice here on MFP!