CURES FOR SHIN SPLINTS

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for shin splints? I have been resting my legs for two days, but I am anxious to get back to running because I don't want to stay out of my routine for too long. My sneakers are pretty new, less than 300 miles on them, and I am a treadmill runner. Would it be okay to just work through the pain? I've done some research, but most things I have come across say to rest your leg from 1-2 days all the way to 2 weeks. I really don't want to be out of the gym for 2 weeks! :) Help!

Replies

• HBMairi
    HBMairi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    best thing for shin splints is rest im afraid
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    What is your shoe situation? Were you fitted at a dedicated running shop for your shoes?

What is your cadence/turnover? If you aren't turning over ~180 +/- 10 times per min, you are probaby overstriding and delivering more impact to your vertical column.

Heel strike or fore strike?
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    tape!
  • Hophead43
    Hophead43 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    They are right about the rest. I had issues with shin pain as well and the best advice I got was to ONLY stretch after you run. The second best advice was to make sure you have a good pair of correctly fitted shoes. You could also google Good Form Running, great tips on proper form. Good luck.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Where your shoes fitted at a real running store? If not, you might have the wrong shoes giving you issues.

Otherwise, slowing down, rest, ice & stretching is about all that can help. I used to get them too. You might want to try doing some other cardio workouts at your gym while your shins rest, since you still want to work out. It could also be your gait too, regardless, don't push it too much, you don't want a long term persistent injury.
  • yankeesfan29485
    Options
    My shoes were not fitted at a running store, but I'm definitely going that route soon. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Guess I'll resort to the bike for now. Any ideas on how I track that on my Vivofit?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my post here, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10001420/help-shin-splints. It's quite lengthy so I'm not going to retype it.

Essentially it depends on what's causing the problem, there is no silver bullet I'm afraid.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Myofacial Release of the gastrocnemius, achillies and plantar fascia!

www.watkinsfitness.com/img/SELF/myofacial_release.pdf

My entire life I thought I had shin splints...it wasn't until I really researched shoes, stride, technique, stretching, etc. that I discovered myofacial release....no more pain for me!!

• yankeesfan29485
    Options
    Now it seems as though the front of my lower right leg is "creaking". It's almost as if I can feel the muscle/bone moving. I know it sounds like I might be over-reacting, but I don't want to ignore something that could be more serious that I first thought. I am going to try the bike today, but to prevent so much impact. I haven't worked out in 3 days, and my mood is really feeling it. Any thoughts on this?
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Now it seems as though the front of my lower right leg is "creaking". It's almost as if I can feel the muscle/bone moving. I know it sounds like I might be over-reacting, but I don't want to ignore something that could be more serious that I first thought. I am going to try the bike today, but to prevent so much impact. I haven't worked out in 3 days, and my mood is really feeling it. Any thoughts on this?

I messed up my foot running once (not looking where I was going and I fell in a hole), and got that bone creaky feeling, Seriously rest will sort it. Rest, rest, REST!
  • sbenner17
    sbenner17 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If your muscle is "creaking" you probably have anterior tib tendinitis. Rest and a compression sleeve helped me greatly.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Rhus Tox and Ruta Grav are homeopathic remedies that can help with recovery of shin splints, won't cure them, but might help cut down the recovery time.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes and knee length compression socks until your legs adjust to what you are doing. For now though it's rest, ice, and ibuprofen as you have already put yourself in a bad place.
  • yankeesfan29485
    Options
    Thanks again guys for all of the suggestions. I have been cycling this week, and my leg is feeling better day by day. I just ordered some compression sleeves that will be here next week. I can't wait to try them. I have restless leg syndrome, and they're supposed to help with that too. Guess we'll see!
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    The_GingerBeard_Man Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Compression sleeves really helped me out.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Athletic taping is very effective, lots of videos on YouTube or try kttape.com
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    300 miles is about the limit on most trainers, the tread will be fine it's the cushion that goes.