Anyone else ever wish they could stop counting calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    eh it's like brushing my teeth. Just part of my day.

Will I always count? probably
    Is it a pain sometimes? yup but I do it anyway...just like my lifting

We don't always agree but we definitely agree on this.

I wish I was a person who maintained a healthy weight effortlessly.

But the truth is, I'm not.

I don't know why I'm different than others. It's not fair, but it's a fact.

Counting calories takes 10-15 minutes a day. Can I devote 10-15 minutes of my day to stay at a weight that lets me live a happier, healthier, fuller life?

You bet.

When I weighed more than 300 pounds, I spent a lot of time worrying about other things:
    - My pants are tight, I should go shopping, but what a drag.
    - I got invited to see someone I haven't seen since college, but I'm dreading going because of how fat I've gotten.
    - My husband wants to go on a hike, but I'm going to spend 20 minutes stressing about how much I don't want to do it because I'm afraid I can't keep up.
    - I should go to the doctor, but I don't want to because I don't want to step on the scale.

Yeah, I'd say 15 minutes of calorie counting a day is a small price to pay for being this smaller, healthier person.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have a long way to go and I will see whan I get there. I pictured that I would learn and not have to count any more. One thing I know I will do is weigh myself. That way if my weight starts creeping up I can go back to counting.
  • goddessintraining1
    Options
    Yes! I realize now that I will have to count calories or WW Points for ever because when I stop I gain weight. It's not fun. But it's not that time consuming and important so I accept it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I counted calories while I was losing weight...and during that time I made it a point to really learn what portions of things looked like...what constituted proper and balanced nutrition...I developed healthful eating and exercise habits, etc. It served me well...I've been maintaining for about 18 months and haven't kept a diary. I am mindful of what I eat and maintain my healthful habits and keep a rough tally in my head...but I don't log and I've been just fine.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Counting calories, no.

Having to limit my food choices/amounts, yes.
  • korkyrn
    korkyrn Posts: 18
    Options
    Sure you can always stop doing something but then are you going to hold yourself accountable when temptation strikes. Yes logging may take a few minutes out of your day but think of all the hard work you have put into losing the weight that you have lost this seems like a small price to pay. Do you really want to repeat the cycle and do it all over again, I highly doubt it or you wouldn't of been on this site making out a goal that you ultimately want to achieve. I think of logging my food intake everyday as though it is just another normal daily activity like brushing my teeth.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    It has become a bit of an obsession for me, but I know how to do it without counting calories. Ok I lie, I know how to do it without logging, but always keep the numbers in my head. I do not plan on doing it the rest of my life.
  • TXMary2
    TXMary2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories. I have lost 60 pounds since March 3rd. I follow LCHF woe and only count net carbs. It is much less stressful for me and much simpler to track. It isn't for everyone, but I used to count calories and not only did it not help my carb/sugar addiction, it was a hassle and I became easily frustrated. Maybe try something different and see if it isn't better for you than calorie counting.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I've found that I can maintain by counting/logging religously at a weight loss level for 3-4 days/week and then loosening up for the other 3-4 days. Of course, I can't go crazy on my non-logging days, but can have small, reasonable splurges coupled with healthier choices that just might not be weighed and measured. I can choose the days I want to loosen up around my plans for the week and that also helps it be less burdensome. I also weigh myself every day to make sure that i'm not getting off track/gaining.

This is a good compromise for me because I also hate tracking--it stresses me out, especially when I'm eating out. I know some say to just eat healthy foods for hunger, but I prefer to maintain my weight at a lower level than mother nature prefers, so even when i'm making good choices (like primal/all whole and natural foods, etc.), I will easily gain weight if I don't track at least 1/2 the time. Of course, I've still done the whole yo-yo thing, but that's when i give up tracking altogether--then i'm guaranteed to gain it all back!

Good luck!
  • GMKF
    GMKF Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I try to track all week...and give myself a break on weekends. I still try my best to eat healthy on weekends, but it gives me a break from counting every calorie.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I won't physically log everything I eat forever. But I will know how many calories are in my foods and keep a looser tally probably forever. So strange to think I never knew anything about calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I had a complete meltdown yesterday. I desperately just want to be able to eat like a normal person. But unless I want to be fat forever, not going to be able to stop counting those calories.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I had a complete meltdown yesterday. I desperately just want to be able to eat like a normal person. But unless I want to be fat forever, not going to be able to stop counting those calories.

This I totally get. There have been SO MANY times I want to eat like what I consider "normal." I see everyone at work eating without thinking about every calorie or gram of protein, and I get jealous. But you know what? My health and fitness are more important than that. In fact, my trainer told me this when I was complaining about wanting to be "normal."

"Eating ad lib only sounds good when you're sticking to a nutrition plan. The more we deprive ourselves, the stronger the urge to go to town on food becomes. When eating whatever whenever is simply part of life, as it is for normal people, it's not like they feel lucky. It just is. And they typically don't look great physically. They don't feel great. Sure, some do... and they're mostly young or genetically superior. But by and large, being abnormal in our culture when it comes to dietary habits and physique is a very good thing."

And he's exactly right...
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The future is for an increasingly logged world where we track tons of metrics about ourselves. All part of the big data world and internet of things. Theyve already got things like cups that can determine the calorie content of liquids. Only a matter of time before logging will become much easier and 2nd nature to us...