calories burned during 30 minutes hiit cardio

Options
hi all,
i just completed a 30 min hiit and i am quiet disappointed with the calories burnt as shown on my fitbit flex... it says 136 calories burnt.. but im quiet sure i burnt more than that considering my heart beat and im sweating like i did an hour workout..... so i just wanna know what is the average calories burned during a 30 minutes hiit...just to know my calorie burn.. anyone with a hrm pls help..

thank you.

Replies

• cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I would wear a heart rate monitor to measure how many calories you're burning. I've read that most people burn between 9 - 12.9 calories per min while doing a HIIT workout. The people who burned 12.9 were close to their max heart rate.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    HRMs are worthless for HIIT. HRMs are only useful for steady state cardio.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I burn around 350-400 doing 30 minutes of high intensity per my HRM. I do get around 150-200 if I am doing something that uses more bodyweight or strength training. Not saying my burn is accurate for HIIT that is just an initial burn, supposedly HIIT keeps you burning all day long.
  • jrcrmr
    jrcrmr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Umm..I can't believe anyone hasn't chimed in on the most important part of this question:

weight/height of the person involved. It's nice to know (based on your profile) that you're 29/f...but actually calories burned vary a lot depending on the person's age, height, weight, body fat %...and something we can't define based on what you just told us: intensity of the activity. Yes you said HIIT...but the peaks of my HIIT will be different than the peaks of your HIIT, etc.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Calories burned can vary based on a number of variables. Me telling you what I burn isn't going to help you unless you're my clone. :smile:
  • mcowan72
    mcowan72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Although there are HIIT benefits during exercise, the big HIIT benefit is 'post burn'. It comes from pushing the SPO2 up and exercising in an anaerobic state. It is difficult to measure post burn caloric usage unless you have the right tools, but it is there (at least that is what the data points)

With a little research and educated assumptions you can formulate a HIIT that accounts for your the exercise and post burn. 13-20 kcal/min depending on weight is a good working range.

When it comes to fitbit and any activity trackers for that matter, you have to be mindful of the device limitations. Devices such as bodybugg that measure metrics such skin temp, conductivity, etc... are more useful at picking up non-motion caloric burn
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Get an HRM.
  • mrs_j_smith
    mrs_j_smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    HRMs aren't very accurate for HIIT, but you can try getting one and maybe under estimate?
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Safe bet--around 300 if you're really pushing yourself.
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to the Flex when it comes to calories burned during a workout like HIIT. It is just going off of your 'very active minutes' from steps. During a 30 minute HIIT workout, I usually would burn about 300-350 calories - 5'6", 150lb female. What you could do is take your heart rate at the beginning, during, and at the end of your workout. Take the average heart rate and plug it into this formula (0.4472 x H – 0.05741 x W + 0.074 x A – 20.4022) x T / 4.184 H is average heart rate, W is weight, A is age, and T is time. When I use this formula it is nearly spot on! All I would do is count my beats in my neck for 10 seconds and jot it down then multiply by 6 to get my bpm! The formula is for women. Men go to http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html and use that. It gave me the same number as the formula when I did it for women.
  • anushyam13
    anushyam13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    leahhugh wrote: »
    I wouldn't listen to the Flex when it comes to calories burned during a workout like HIIT. It is just going off of your 'very active minutes' from steps. During a 30 minute HIIT workout, I usually would burn about 300-350 calories - 5'6", 150lb female. What you could do is take your heart rate at the beginning, during, and at the end of your workout. Take the average heart rate and plug it into this formula (0.4472 x H – 0.05741 x W + 0.074 x A – 20.4022) x T / 4.184 H is average heart rate, W is weight, A is age, and T is time. When I use this formula it is nearly spot on! All I would do is count my beats in my neck for 10 seconds and jot it down then multiply by 6 to get my bpm! The formula is for women. Men go to http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html and use that. It gave me the same number as the formula when I did it for women.

bumping to ask - is the bolded formula really right?? I did 40 minutes on a stationary cycle, averaging 139 bpm. The bike's sensors gave me 170 calories, while this formula gives me 347 - seriously?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    What are those of you who are saying HRM is inaccurate comparing it to in order to determine if it is accurate or not?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This discussion is a few months old, I guess - found it in a search, sorry!

I just can't get over the difference between the burn estimates.