Kashi Go Lean - Misleading Label?

Options
abneys
abneys Posts: 30
edited October 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Hi guys and gals!

I recently brought a food scale to work to weigh breakfast as well as lunch/dinner. I typically eat one serving (1 cup) of Kashi Go Lean. Today, to make sure my tracking is better, I weighed 1 cup and found that it was almost less than half of the weighted serving of 52.8g/1.8oz.

To get to the recommended weighted serving, it's over 2 cups! So, while I debating writing Kashi for an explanation, I thought I'd get thoughts here. Should I be logging 1/2 of the serving if I go with weight? I'm bummed to lose on the protein but I'll have to revamp my breakfast to ensure I can eat almost 2x my normal sitting to get the full protein.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That's odd. I find that the opposite usually occurs: "1 cup" weighs more than a serving size.
    I'd be leery as well in doubling my portions. Have you checked the scale accuracy by weighing something else's portion? (probably not the problem but good to check)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Have you weighed the whole box to see if it agrees with the packaging?
    It's sold by weight not volume which is why things should be weighed, not judged by cups.
    You should probably weigh your servings.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »
    That's odd. I find that the opposite usually occurs: "1 cup" weighs more than a serving size.
    I'd be leery as well in doubling my portions. Have you checked the scale accuracy by weighing something else's portion? (probably not the problem but good to check)

I agree. When I used to eat Kashi, it always weighed more than the 1/2 c.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a misleading label. They should be called, "Happy Farty Crunches". :p

pleasegodno.com/index.php?/archives/20-1-cup-Kashi-GoLEAN-Crunch-+-12-cup-milk-Endless-stomach-churning-gas.html
  • abneys
    Options
    To note, I'm not eating the crunch version so the clusters aren't my current issue! Luckily.
  • abneys
    Options
    PaytraB wrote: »

I haven't yet since it is a new scale but it's a great idea, thanks! Hopefully I can return if I find it's horribly inaccurate.
  • abneys
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Have you weighed the whole box to see if it agrees with the packaging?
    It's sold by weight not volume which is why things should be weighed, not judged by cups.
    You should probably weigh your servings.

I had already started eating the box when I realized this issue, but I will try weighing the box. I'm hoping to move to weighing the servings, which is why I was trying to use the scale this morning and ran into this issue.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Always use weight.