Any tea drinkers?

Options

Replies

• jh76995
    Options
    I drink either irish breakfast tea in the morning or green tea i usually put honey in both.
    I love mint teas at night.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I love most of the Twinings infusions and classics! English Breakfast, Chamomile and Peppermint, plain Peppermint, Raspberry (and some other red berry? Was it Cranberry? Maybe.)... And Lipton Forest Fruits :smile:
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Twinings makes decaf teas as well as their regular. I like to keep both in the house because I can't have caffeine at night. For mornings it's usually regular black tea or chai with splenda and a little cream. I've been buying Typhoo tea bags lately (a British brand but also available in Canada.)
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I discovered tea drinking when my boyfriend was sick and wanted a cup of Earl Gray. He fell asleep and I didn't taste it then but the smell was amazing. Green tea with honey is a favorite of mine. I like peppermint tea, Celestial Seasoning's Sleepytime tea, Earl Gray, vanilla chai, and am always looking for a new one to try, even though I have a cabinet full right now :smile:
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I was able to get rid of the cream and sugar for my coffee. It took some getting use to but I now love my black coffee. I average 4 cups daily. I sip on Green Tea in the evening after dinner.
    60817891.png
  • markrichtsspraytan
    markrichtsspraytan Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love the Bigelow Vanilla Chai tea. It's inexpensive and available at most grocery stores. The Celestial Seasonings Sweet Harvest Pumpkin and the Cinnamon Apple Spice (this one has no caffeine) teas are great too. I can drink all of these easily without sugar or sweeteners as well.

Trader Joe's also has a Candy Cane tea that is excellent but I think it's seasonal only.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    just4jilly wrote: »
    I would say if you have a local tea shop in your area, go and try a bunch of varieties. Most will have samples of all of their varieties of tea for you to try.

^^ This is a great suggestions. Also, I basically drink tea all day long (mostly iced, but often in cold weather will drink hot, too), so I have purchased lots of tea over the years. Some good online places to try are The Tao of Tea in Portland, OR and Harney & Sons. Both have many varieties available. I happen to be a straight up tea kinda gal, but you might prefer herbal or fruity. If you are looking for a good, strong but not bitter morning tea, I would recommend the Palm Court blend from Harney & Sons. It also happens to make an excellent ice tea.

Have fun tea browsing! Now, get out there and start tasting.
  • katherinemab
    katherinemab Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Tazo makes some great teas and has samplers!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    That's none of my business
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love Republic of Tea and Bigelow. I like stronger black teas and herbal teas, and I put a little fiber powder in each cup too.
    My favorite RoT varieties are: Earl Greyer, Green, Blackberry Sage, Get it Going, Get some Zzzzs(great for nighttime).
    As for Bigelow: Earl Grey, Green, Mint Medley and Plantation Mint.
    If you sign up for the RoT catalog, they send you a sample bag with every one.

Edit: most of these regular varieties also come in decaf versions
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Teavana: Earl Grey Creme is good hot. Blackberry Mojito is good iced. If you like spices White Ayurvedic Chai is delicious. For a sweeter tea I recommend their Chocolate Mint.

Bigelow: Constant Comment is a nice orange spice blend. Plantation Mint is black tea w/ mint. For a no caffeine herbal I like their Lemon Ginger.

Stash: White Christmas Tea is a mix of white tea with peppermint and ginger. Really good. Chai Spice is good too.

Choice: Organic Oolong

Republic of Tea: Blackberry Sage black tea, Orange Blossom white tea.

Tazo: Zen

There are a million others I could recommended but I'll stop here for now! lol! I drink my tea plain, no milk, no sweetener.
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Twinings Irish Breakfast - every morning with a splash of milk
    Republic of Tea blackberry sage - I drink it straight at the start of every night shift.
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Green tea with mint! :)
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Just this. Great on the front porch watching the kids at the bus stop. "Get off my lawn!" sounds a lot better slurred.

cm_liit.png

This is outstanding, thanks for the laugh!
  • kingjabou
    kingjabou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For mornings Lapsang Souchong is like coffee when it comes to a love-it-or-hate-it flavor. It is smoked dark tea with a tarry taste it may be an option for you if you think tea is too weak-tasting compared to coffee.
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm seriously passionate about my tea. Like, variable temperature kettles, gram measurements, multiple types of brewing vessel (gaiwan, kyusu, ceramic pots, gravity infusers, cold steep implements, yixing pots -- that kind of thing). I legitimately have a tea spreadsheet. Anyone who knows me knows it's kind of my thing, and my friends like addressing our apartment as 'where the tea lives'.

My favorite shops are Verdant Tea, Teavivre, and Thunderbolt Tea (with some American Tea Room mixed in), and I'm pretty adamant on loose leaf yielding the best experience by far.

My best advice is to go to town trying everything. You won't know what you like until you start trying everything! Adagio is a good place to start if you're looking to get into loose leaf. They have reasonably priced sampler backs and their unflavored teas are average-ish. If you go this route, in spite of what the package says the best steeping parameters for their black blends is 205F/2.5 min. Unless you like bitter tea.

Verdant offers a 5 for 5 promo for their new customers from time to time, as well. It's five sample sized packages of five of their most popular teas. They have amazing unflavored teas and the Laoshan Black is so so sooooo tasty.

But yeah! Dig in! It's a biiiiiiiiiiig world of tea out there.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I don't like teabags. Waste of money. Get yourself a small and pretty teapot with matching cup. Warm the pot with hot water, tip it out, put in 1tsp of tea leaves, let it steep 2 minutes and pour into a cup that has been warmed also first with hot water.

^ This.

Tea bags = the floor sweepings left over after packaging loose leaves

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I like strong teas in the morning, like lapsang souchong (a smoked tea, acquired taste) or rose melange (black tea with rose hips)...basically a good black or oolong tea. Later in the day, greens and whites are nice because of their lower caffeine content. At night, any herbal is nice, especially chamomile or jasmine or yarrow.

My best advice is to look at the online tea shops which allow you to order by the ounce, and get a small selection of various teas to try. Tao of Tea is a good one. Also, see if there are tea shops in your area like Teavana which have samples brewed in the store to try.

Go for loose leaf over bagged, as the quality which be much higher. Basically, the small dregs are swept up for tea bags, while the whole, unbruised and undamaged leaves are used for loose leaf sales.

If you can find one, get an electric kettle which allows you to set different temperatures. They can be pretty pricey, but you can usually find them on Amazon if nothing else. I found one at Target for $30 for my ex, but they don't have them any more at the local one. Sad clowns. If you don't have an adjustable kettle, get a food thermometer. The reason for this is that some teas are more delicate than others, and will get very bitter if brewed at too high a temperature, or for too long. Basically the lighter the tea, the more temperamental it usually is. Blacks can usually be brewed hotter and longer, oolongs are somewhat forgiving, but greens and whites can get bitter. Properly brewed, you shouldn't need any sweetener at all.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I drink mostly tea when it comes to hot drinks, and love my Earl Grey and basic English Breakfast. I also love some of the Teapigs teas, such as the popcorn one. I have a salted caramel green tea I am trying at the moment.