Looking for breakfasts.

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some pretty specific breakfasts and was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I need something that's vegetarian, dairy free, nut free and doesn't contain mushrooms. I'd like something low in sugar too as everything I can find seems to have loads of sugar in. It also needs to be as quick as possible (10 minutes, absolute max)

I'm really struggling here - Any ideas?

Replies

• Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    scrambled egg with greens and tomatoes? oatmeal with fruit?
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    eggs, porridge with water or juice, fruit salad or smoothies.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, grits, or cream of wheat, maybe add some fruit to sweeten it.
    Quinoa would work too.
    Black coffee.
    That's all I got.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    Are eggs vegetarian? Technically?
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you eat eggs, they can be combined in a multitude of ways.

Apart from the regular omelet, scrambled etc., you can make an egg fritata: mix protein of choice (I did it with chicken, maybe lentils and beans? or without any), some green veggies like spinach, and a couple of eggs. Bake in the oven until the eggs are done. You do this one in advance, and then just heat up a square in the morning.

Oatmeal made with almond or rice milk (just heat milk in a cup in the microwave, pour over oatmeal, let sit for couple of minutes). You can even make it with coffee instead of milk (what can I say, I was desperate :-)). Add some dried fruit (not too much if you are watching your sugar), a spoon of honey maybe (or something like stevia I guess, I don't use it)

In general though, there are no such things as "breakfast-only" foods. You can eat whatever you feel like eating. You can make a bit of extra of whatver you are having for dinner and just reheat it in the morning.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

yes.

they are not vegan.
  • fatcity66
    Options

yes.

they are not vegan.

Hmmm...I know some vegetarians that would disagree. To each their own.

• IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just thought of another one. Cook lentils and chickpeas until they are about 90% done. Drain the water and put them in a food processor of some sort. Blend them about halfway, mix with eggs and enough flour to get a pancake consistency. Make pancakes, but take them out before they are done. Cool, freeze, then defrost/finish them in a pan before eating. You can modify it with spices to vary the taste. Also I guess you could add beans instead.
  • WeighToGoJudy
    WeighToGoJudy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a recipe using 1/3 cup oats and two eggs. Add a little salt and cinnamon to taste, mix it all up, and pour in a pan. Cook it like a pancake.
    But do NOT call it french toast, the masses take offense for some reason.
  • buzz3d269
    buzz3d269 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats - google them, there are tonnes of recipes out there, but my fav is currently oats, chia seeds, a little brown sugar, cinnamon, almond (or coconut) milk, vanilla essence and mashed pumpkin. Mix up and refrigerate overnight, serve with fresh fruit. Takes about 10 mins to make a batch, I tend to make enough for 4 days, then super quick to dish up of a morning.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of protein pancakes. 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/4 C unsweetened almond milk, 1 egg, 1 t cinnamon. Cook in dry, non-stick skillet on medium heat just like regular pancakes. They are delicious.
  • Wicked_Mango
    Options
    Rice Crispies + Chia seeds + almond milk :)
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How about steel cut oats with blueberries, raisins and a tsp of brown sugar?
  • lachapelle12345
    lachapelle12345 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a berry crumble for breakfast lately. Mash up a banana and add 3/4 cup thawed mixed berries and place in a ramekin. Top with a little bit of oats, flour, cinnamon and butter and put on top. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. I top mine with a Greek yogurt/whipped cream blend but you can leave that off. I make 4 at a time one evening so it is very easy and little time in the mornings for breakfast - zap for a minute in the microwave put my yogurt mix on it and eat mmmmm!!! Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Vegetable omelet, just chop the vegetables the night before and don't include mushrooms or cheese (although I often do).
  • WhoIsAmber
    WhoIsAmber Posts: 161 Member
    Options

yes.

they are not vegan.

I'm a vegetarian, I eat eggs and dairy products.

When someone says "vegetarian," they are usually referring to lacto-ovo vegetarians, that still consume eggs and milk products, but no animal flesh.

When someone says "vegan," they are definitely referring to strict vegetarians who consumes no animal flesh or animal byproducts, such as eggs, diary, honey, etc.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I recently started pre-making an easy portable breakfast!

Take 6 slices of multi-grain bread, cut off the crusts and squish them flat. Spray a muffin pan with non stick spray and press the bread into the cups, with the corners poking up. Fill the cups with fillings of your choice - Spinach, tomato, asparagus, facon, whatever. Crack an egg over the top of each - I don't break the yolk. Bake until the egga are set. It's like eggs and veg on toast, but in a portable muffin-like format! Reheat nicely in 20 seconds in the microwave.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

yes.

they are not vegan.

I've been eating a berry crumble for breakfast lately. Mash up a banana and add 3/4 cup thawed mixed berries and place in a ramekin. Top with a little bit of oats, flour, cinnamon and butter and put on top. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. I top mine with a Greek yogurt/whipped cream blend but you can leave that off. I make 4 at a time one evening so it is very easy and little time in the mornings for breakfast - zap for a minute in the microwave put my yogurt mix on it and eat mmmmm!!! Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow.
    Bexatex wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some pretty specific breakfasts and was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

I need something that's vegetarian, dairy free, nut free and doesn't contain mushrooms. I'd like something low in sugar too as everything I can find seems to have loads of sugar in. It also needs to be as quick as possible (10 minutes, absolute max)

Bexatex wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

Plain cheerios with soy milk... You don't have much options with all those restrictions, or oatmeal and a banana..
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I make breakfast "cookies" with 2 mashed bananas, 1.5 cups instant oatmeal, 2T chia seeds (I also throw in a 1/4c choc chips) spray a cookie sheet, form into 24 cookies, bake 12 min at 350. I freeze them and thaw 4 in the fridge overnight. About 170 cals for 4. Sometimes I swap the banana for canned pumpkin. Good luck!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You need to learn how to make lentil soup. Here's a basic one and i prefer it to most of those that include vegetables. Make a big batch, Store it in the fridge and freezer.

Red lentils, water, salt, olive oil (1tsp per cup of soup). Cook till the lentils are soft. blend. If you are not in love, add more salt. Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice if you like. Add the oil when you are reheating your serve of soup.
    2 cups should take you a fair way but i often have a serve of 1 cup as an entree.
    I first came across this soup in Turkey and often had it for breakfast.

You can also add more complexity by including chickpeas. I like a ratio of 2 lentils to 1 chickpeas.

Lentils etc are high in protein and you should be eating a ton of it given your diet restrictions. They are also high in fibre.

Anyway yes, there are some other great bean lentil chickpea soups around. Once you decide you want to take this path, you won't look back. Look for recipes.

Same with dal and rice. That's something else you should be eating regularly. If you are going to be a vegan, you must eat bread or rice. And you must learn how to cook.

As for sugar, do you mean, carbohydrate? If so, then stop worrying about sugar and only worry about added sugar. Don't use the sugar counter on mfp. Instead use the fibre counter. I am sure that sugar counter is causing more harm than health. I suspect the original intention was for diabetics.