I have a question

Options
I found this app on my phone called SportsTraker so I downloaded it and used it when I went hiking today and it told me I hiked 1.49 miles in 1hr 27mins it even told me how fast I was walking and a bunch of other things its pretty awesome anyways it told me I burned 1061 calories I was like holy crap lol now mind u I do live in tennessee so where I was hiking I was on an incline and a decline in areas not flat hardly anywhere. So my question is...Is that even possible to lose that many calories? Has anyone ever used this app?

Replies

• TonyaCrego
    TonyaCrego Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm that does sound awesome but im curious about ur calories burned as well!
  • MintyStarshine
    Options
    It is possible to burn through those, since I burn through loads of calories just by being a cook at a restaurant. I can burn 1100 calories per 4 hour shift. It might be more, since it is intense and there's a lot of running around and heavy lifting to do as well, but I would rather burn more and not be aware of it than sneak in potato chips or something else because I knew I had burned all the calories!

And it sounds like your phone was tracking your location like a GPS. Probably even using the same technology in your phone that allows emergency services to find you if you dial 911. It probably has a sort of topographical map worked into the app as well so that it knows about inclines where you're exercising. If so, VERY cool. Too bad I live in Iowa where everything is flat! LOL
  • dawniewest
    dawniewest Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    when you activated the app did it ask for your stats, like bmi, age, sex, etc.? I would think it would need that info to correctly determine approximate calories burned.... that being said, I am totally going to look it up! Sounds like and awsome app! Nice burn on the hike btw! :)
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It doesnt sound very accurate..
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've never used that particular app but I've used 2 other pedometer apps and neither one of them were even close to correct on my distance. I knew how far I was walking and that's why I was kind of testing it.
    I will downlaod the app you're referring to today and see how it compares. :)
  • browneyes1022
    Options
    when you activated the app did it ask for your stats, like bmi, age, sex, etc.? I would think it would need that info to correctly determine approximate calories burned.... that being said, I am totally going to look it up! Sounds like and awsome app! Nice burn on the hike btw! :)

It did ask for my age and weight in the settings. I'm just afraid of posting it to my diary for MFP I will have to do some research on the app google has everything lol
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hi brown eyes from Cookville! I'm from Murfreesboro originally. Anyway, that calorie burn sounds way high to me. I use the Runkeeper app and I have to run for more than an hour to burn that many calories according to it. And of course walking burns much less. But, like yours, it is an app not a heart rate monitor so it only gets me in the ballpark. And the distance sounds too short for an hour and a half, even in the Tennessee hills. My wife hiked the Appalachian trail and covered two to three miles an hour carrying a heavy pack. So I'm not too convinced that your app is accurate. Try Runkeeper. It is free also and uses GPS to track you. I have found it to be accurate on distances that I have measured with my bike computer and using Gmaps pedometer. Best wishes to you!
  • brittfam
    brittfam Posts: 34
    Options
    As far as Im concered the only was to track your calories correctly is a HRM... but is awesome you found an APP that tracks the distance you hiked- def going to look into it.
  • browneyes1022
    Options
    Ok so I googled some stuff and also used like 10 different calorie counter trying to see if it was right I'm I'm pretty sure it was I weigh 250 pounds so it is completely possible I couldnt believe it until I did some research. And I stoped a few times to take pics normally when I go hiking where I did it takes about 45 mins to an 1hr depends on if I stop or not. Anways I am going to try it again tomorrow before work and see what it says.