Pregnant and working out

Options
kellijoh82
kellijoh82 Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I just found out I'm pregnant (HOORAY!).

I've been working on losing weight so I have been following MFP's recommendations for calorie intake (1470) for weight loss. Of course, dieting and pregnancy do not go together. I'm sure I'll find out better when I finally get to see my OB (2 weeks from now), but I'm looking for a little guidance until then.

So, ladies who have continued working out while pregnant: What have you done for your caloric intake (taking out the whole morning sickness part). I just want to stay healthy.

As for my workout, before Pregnancy I was doing 30-40 min of cardio followed by weight training. I still plan on doing both weights and cardio but modified to go with the whole making baby thing. I heard that when doing cardio my heart rate shouldn't get too high---what are the limits there too? Again, I just need some info to start me out since I'll be seeing my OB in a couple weeks.

Thanks all!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    kellijoh82 wrote: »
    I heard that when doing cardio my heart rate shouldn't get too high---what are the limits there too?

Whatever your OB recommends. That number could be different for other women.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    People do quote a max HR for pregnant women of 140 - you will see this all over the internet - but I've never found any evidence basis for this.

What I tell my pregnant patients is 1) if you're already used to a regimen you can probably continue it, 2) watch out for overheating and dehydration, you will need more fluids than you're used to 3) in the 2nd and third trimesters your balance starts to change and the uterus/placenta are vulnerable to trauma so avoid exercise where you might be prone to falls or impacts (think: raquetball, horseback riding) 4) also later pregnancy your joints are more mobile and you're heavier, so use good posture and body mechanics for lifting and start to scale back on impact-heavy exercises like running 5) swimming or water aerobics classes are always great 6) don't go for PR's - your goal is to stay active and healthy, not run your fastest ever half marathon or do your heaviest ever bench press.