Veggies to serve with enchiladas?

Options
Flyers1010
Flyers1010 Posts: 71 Member
Hello! I have a non-veggie loving family and I eat salad for lunch everyday. I like to have a cooked vegetable at dinner - asparagus, broccoli, spinach, and zucchini are my go-to's. But my family hates every one of them and it's a struggle.

Tonight I'm making chicken enchiladas. Most of my plate needs to be covered in vegetables. Any suggestions on what to serve as a vegetable with Mexican?

Thanks!
- K

Replies

• cassidyamymommy
    cassidyamymommy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    corn. tomatoes, peppers
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Beans. :)
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    It's not Mexican, but what about a Caesar salad? Or just a garden salad with some nuts and seeds thrown in there? You could also do stuffed peppers, which is a little more along the Mexican theme. Good luck!
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    I agree with Leslie, Beans! Just make sure you get the Reduced Sodium ones and rinse them. You could even saute them with peppers & onions for flavor.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Stir fry some sliced peppers (red, orange, yellow) with onions and zucchini
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mexican chopped salad!!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Beans n' rice seems obvious, but they're pretty starchy. How about fajita vegetables? I will honestly take a few solid dashes of soy sauce, almost as much lime juice (a little bit less), cumin, mexican chili powder and garlic powder, whir together for a marinade. Cut up some broccoli, carrot, onion, bell pepper, whatever you want, marinate for 10 minutes, stir-fry it up. Serve that on the side with your enchiladas.

Also, this veggies go great on a salad with our chipotle dressing (nonfat, plain yogurt and diced chipotles... zero fat, low cal, totally spicy and tasty).
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen veg in steamer bags, mostly at Sam's Club these days (much cheaper). They sell a tex mex type blend I like with anything mexican. Includes corn, bell peppers and black beans that are roasted and seasoned. You may be able to find something similar somewhere else too. Mexican doesn't seem to lend it's self easily to veggie side dishes.
  • emartin17
    emartin17 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    roasted butternut squash
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    If they don't really like veggies, what about making a Mango or pineapple Salsa/salad? You can also add tomatoes or more cuke to yours to make it go farther and have fewer calories.
  • Flyers1010
    Options
    Oh my goodness, so many great ideas! Printing post to take to grocery store. :-) Thank you all!
  • Flyers1010
    Options
    JustinAnimal and CaitlinW19, those are ideas I want to try.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    pico de gallo, it's not cooked, but maybe add some black beans if you want it to be more substantial.
  • galpower14
    Options
    Find vegetables they like! I don't like any of the ones you mentioned either. I prefer: carrots, sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, etc.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    How about spicy eggplant fries? Peel and slice an eggplant, salt liberally and leave in a colander to drain the juices for about half an hour, then cut into steak fry sized pieces. Dip in an egg white wash, then dip in a mixture of bread crumbs, Parmesan and spices. Make it as spicy as you'd like, considering you're eating them with Mexican food. Then bake at 400 for about 20-30 minutes (depending on how big they are), flipping over halfway through. Eat when they're hot and crispy. Add a little cornstarch to the bread crumb mixture if you like them even crispier.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    duck fat roasted potatoes
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    YES, I agree with above poster - sliced peppers would be perfect.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    JICAMA, RAW
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Calabacitas
    From EatingWell

Enjoy this traditional Southwestern dish of sautéed summer squash, onions and peppers as a side or as a vegetarian filling for tacos.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 poblano or Anaheim chile pepper, seeded and diced
    2 cups diced zucchini
    2 cups diced summer squash
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and chile; cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add zucchini, summer squash and salt; cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in cilantro (if using).

6 servings, about 2/3 cup each
    Per serving : 40 Calories; 2 g Fat; 0 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 4 g Carbohydrates; 1 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 199 mg Sodium; 201 mg Potassium

Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat