Does everyone hit the gym?

Options
I'm a mom of two toddlers 3 and 2 years old so it hard for me to go to the gym I have my exercise bike at home and I work out to some DVDs and go for walks since I joined mfp end of January I lost 36 pounds, I was thinking of gettin a trendmill maybe it will be better than my bike but I want to lift weights but gyms near me are expensive , just Wondering if I'm the only one not going to the gym

Replies

• tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 month old and I don't go to the gym. I have a tredmill and of course outside. I have DVDs and resistant bands. Those are pretty handy and they don't take up that much room. So you're not alone!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I do go to a gym, but only b/c my boss is nice enough to pay for my membership. If he wasn't, I wouldn't be. I do also, however, use weights at home as well, I have a Bosu Ball and I am borrowing a friend P90X set. What ever you get, make sure it's something you enjoy ... so it doesn't become a coat rack or dust collector :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If the gym does not fit into your budget or lifestyle remember using your own body weight and running are both free.

You can also 'rent' workout DVDs on the Netflix Instant Queue if you use that. That way you're not spending $$ on DVDs.

You can also join a service like Groupon to get coupons in your area (if you want to take a fitness class outside of a gym for less $). I would not suggest wasting $$ on a treadmill. It's hard on the knees.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I still have a bench and bowflex @ home but recently sold my life fitness X3 because we use the gym so much now. It all depends on the amount of time of have as to where I work out. I force myself to workout @ the gym because even with a seperate workout area at home I still end up distracted.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I think I'll always be a gym go-er.
    You just can't get a good body and a good workout without a gym in my opinion.
    Unless you have some serious cash for an at-home setup.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I have a stationary bike, treadmill, stepper, and elliptical that I bought for about 600 bucks for ALL of them. I don't know if you know what bookoo is, but look it up. It's website that is like a virtual yardsale. You can find CHEAP CHEAP stuff on there all the time. I found my stepper (which is a GREAT workout for only about 13 bucks). Google bookoo and then your closest city and find the link to your nearest bookoo.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Nah, I don't. It is easier for me to work out at home in between my crazy life moments.

I have been thinking of joining, but trying to figure out how to justify the cost. I would have to go like 5 times a week for me to feel like I am getting my money's worth....and quite honestly, I cannot see that happening with 2 jobs and being a single mom!!

Who knows...I may yet develop into a gym rat one day.......
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    See if you have a YMCA in your area....they base membership fees on income/family size and the first 1 hour of child care is free and the second hour is $1/kid (YMMV?).

I'm a mother of 4 kids and I have no excuse for not going to the gym this way!
  • JessPaul93016
    JessPaul93016 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm on a very limited budget, and I don't go to a gym either. My friend was fortunate enough to receive a treadmill as a gift, and we have dvds that we do together. Plus now with the weather finally getting nicer, I'm walking, jogging, and riding my bike outside. I have a medicine ball that I use the days I don't get outside.
  • RedRage00
    RedRage00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you have a 24 hour fitness and a CostCo you can get a 2 year Membership for $300. It comes out to $12.50/month. Can't beat that :)
  • portwood2218
    portwood2218 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have the time or money to deal with the gym. I go for walks and workout at home. So far it's working because I have lost 10 lbs in the first month (and I didn't have to spend a dime doing it). Having a small, personal gym at home would be nice, but that's an idea that will have to come far down the road. But for now this is just fine to me :)
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and the gym. I love the gym because for some reason I always push myself harder than when I am at home.
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    I never go to the gym. even if i could afford the membership, i still couldnt afford the hourly childcare rates for my 3 and 6 year olds at the gym childcare. i bought a cheap elliptical off craigslist for 100 bucks and i use that after my kids are in bed.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Personally I will always need to be at a gym but to loose lbs you do not need a gym. There are so many workouts that I do at the gym that I could simply do in my backyard I just dont like to. Have you you tubed workouts? Bodyrock.tv is a great place. She does everything at hime in her house or outside. She even has a workout out called "F the gym". Check out my forums bc I started posting my workouts.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Nope, I do workouts at home (TurboFire currently, have done some P90X, and some 30 Day Shred). I want to join a gym because I want to take up running but not comfortable running in my neighborhood. Just haven't made the commitment yet.
  • misschoy
    misschoy Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    No gym going here. Just me and Jillian Michaels in my living room. :)
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i never been at a gym....i have a bar with tons of plates here to do weight stuff...soon im buying dumbells that you can add weight as you get stronger.....
    i used treadmill and dvds to help me lose weight and add definition....a gym would be nice but you can totally do it at home
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and the gym. I love the gym because for some reason I always push myself harder than when I am at home.

I would totally agree with this!!! I have 2 kids as well and joining the gym was the best thing I have done for myself!!!
  • Brandie0502
    Brandie0502 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I workout out at home to dvds or exercise tv & walk. I recently started going to zumba classes but it is at a studio, not a gym. Personally I dont like going to the gym.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I can't afford the gym. I haven't the money or the space for equipment at home either. I have 2 dvd's and cant' really afford anymore either.