Running shorts for men that won't get me arrested

Options
Looking for recommendations for running shorts for guys. I really enjoy the lightweight wicking shorts I paid a pretty penny for from under armor. Problem is, even with compression gear underneath them (which is uncomfortable bc of the built in mess) the second I start to sweat and it does it's wicking thing..there is nothing left to the imagination if you glance down. Like might as well be running with my dong out bc that is what you see. Every detail :( The one time I went without the compression shorts and just used the mesh it was even worse not to mention the gravity swings things were taken. There has got to be a better alternative. Any suggestion before I go and accidentally spend another 50 bucks on something that I can't use due to public indecency laws? Thanks.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The best shorts I have are these from Janji:
    http://runjanji.com/collections/mens/products/men-s-tanzania-2-in-1-running-shorts

I've also had decent luck with northface and nike shorts, both with liners. I wear Nike Pro Combat compression boxer briefs under them.

Generally speaking, look for something with slightly heavier material as it tends to hold its shape a bit better.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    can you put some baggier shorts like football shorts or something over the wicking shorts? Then you get the benefit of the wicking shorts without having everything on display. I'm female and don't see how this is much different to wearing a sports bra with a t-shirt over it.

ETA: I'm British so by football shorts I mean like what soccer players wear, or something similar to that
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You almost got a teacher in trouble. The title was too good. I had to read it.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    The best shorts I have are these from Janji:
    http://runjanji.com/collections/mens/products/men-s-tanzania-2-in-1-running-shorts

I've also had decent luck with northface and nike shorts, both with liners. I wear Nike Pro Combat compression boxer briefs under them.

Generally speaking, look for something with slightly heavier material as it tends to hold its shape a bit better.

Checking those out and they don't have the 60 buck price tag on them so definitely worth a go. Thank you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    They must be on clearance then, because I'm pretty sure I paid more than $60 for them.

Just FYI... in case you didn't notice in the pic, they are longer than a lot of running shorts. I happen to like that, but not everyone does.
  • ElliottTN
    Options
    38 bucks right now via link you sent.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    ROFL thanks for the chuckle :blush:
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Duct tape is less than 60 bucks.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    the ones in your profile pic are nice. And by nice I mean niiiiiiceee.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You can run at my house.
    tumblr_m7mom3bR7m1qlvwnco1_400.gif
  • ElliottTN
    Options

Actually might be a genius idea. If I tape off the inside of the shorts crotch area then they won't clench to my ......

• LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    You obviously are the bigger man...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lululemon.

Aside from crappy customer service, the shorts are great for both running and lifting.
  • sumnerfan
    Options

Duct tape! Yikes!!!
  • dbmata
    Options
    What do you mean yikes? Polite man ensures that area is sans hair anyway. Cause no one wants to see Don King in a leg lock.
  • dbmata
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »

Kinda what I thought... but who hasn't fished for a compliment or interest? Of course, we know that to support the vasodilation of the working muscle's arterioles, the carotid baroreceptor reflex essentially causes sympathetic vasoconstriction of non-essential organ systems' blood flow during stressful cardio exercise, resulting in [among other things] everyone's favorite 1-mile poop urge, and shrinkage in the fellas. But boy, those draconian decency laws. *Swoon.

How come that doesn't explain bench and squat wood?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT91UCdCdiIfVN473z6sbIfk2D7HA-UD97fAfz_YuRnuQ4lbmBq1Q
  • sumnerfan
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    What do you mean yikes? Polite man ensures that area is sans hair anyway. Cause no one wants to see Don King in a leg lock.

I was thinking about super sticky tape on such delicate skin. I remember putting bandaids on my nipples once. Hurt like Hades. That's my point of reference here.

But thanks for that image.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of New Balance there are really good for running in and they are black and baggy on the outer layer. I just wear a pair of my military polypro or similar wicking underwear underneath and never have an issue.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    An
    dbmata wrote: »

Kinda what I thought... but who hasn't fished for a compliment or interest? Of course, we know that to support the vasodilation of the working muscle's arterioles, the carotid baroreceptor reflex essentially causes sympathetic vasoconstriction of non-essential organ systems' blood flow during stressful cardio exercise, resulting in [among other things] everyone's favorite 1-mile poop urge, and shrinkage in the fellas. But boy, those draconian decency laws. *Swoon.

How come that doesn't explain bench and squat wood?

Has been a while since human performance classes, but I believe we are talking about sustained, intense cardio triggering this- as sensed by the body from increased CO in the blood, and I think increased enzyme levels in skeletal muscle from mitochondria. Aveage person we are talking about that 'cardio zone', 150+bpm for sustained periods.

And all along I just thought it was because squatting was exciting.... buzzkill