Should I workout with a cold? HELP ASAP

Options
Woke up with scratchy throat, sneezing, and fatigue. I feel sleepy like I wanna just go home and wrap myself in a blanket, the cold weather isn't helping either!!

I want to go to the gym but I feel like I probably won't do as well...I'm currently "building" muscle by eating more and lifting a heavier each time. Today is leg day too which is brutal...

I'm afraid if I skip one day I'll delay my progress and go backwards, one day won't hurt right??

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with giving your body a break. Of course one day will not hurt you.

If you feel the need to have to do something, go for a walk, or do some yoga!

Even better: take a bath and drink a big mug of tea!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    rest and don't spread the cold around at the gym.....one day won't kill ya.
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was hoping you guys would say that lol. Now I can feel less guilty ;)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Nope. Let your body rest and recover. And echoing above; don't go to the gym if you know you are sick. It's not fair to potentially infect others with your cold.
  • sugamonstaa
    sugamonstaa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I took a few days off. Glad I did but feel guilty. I just stayed home, drank lots of tea, soups, and tested. I felt my body aching and sleepy... I think if I were to work out it wouldn't be worth it cuz I wouldn't be motivated.
  • TheRealTacoPrince
    Options
    I really think it depends on how you feel if you have the energy to go to the gym you can go right ahead and do so, sometimes I feel pumped and that's when you would to weight training but when your not feeling it then you shouldn't cause you can't. It really depends on how you feel bro.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yes, go do something mild.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Don't go to the gym and spread your ebola everywhere. Seriously, stay home and rest.
    You, I like you. Haha.

Seriously, OP, rest as much as you can. A day or two won't hurt. I've got bronchitis and I don't even want to think about a workout right now! Here's hoping we both feel better soon!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No, do not work out when sick. Rest, take vitamins, drink fluids. You will heal faster if you don't force yourself.
  • GBRhusker
    GBRhusker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The only place more likely than the gym to spread disease and certain death to innocent victims is Dallas Presbyterian Hospital. Why you would even consider this is beyond me. Go to the park, or your living room or basement.....don't go to the gym.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think you need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture in general if you really think missing one little workout is going to have any kind of substantial effect on your overall fitness, health, and well being.

Also, I hate when people show up to the gym spreading their nastiness around...it's incredibly inconsiderate and frankly, it's disgusting.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm currently recovering from a cold myself. It started late Sunday night (the 12th). I took off the entire week last week because I was worn out and did not want to spread it around. I did not run, I did not go to the gym. I ran an easy 5K on Monday (the 20th) and 4.3 miles on Wednesday and, other than a little more coughing, there were no ill effects from the time off. Your body doesn't start to lose endurance for about 10 days of inactivity.

Even if you went to the gym you wouldn't be able to lift as much as you were before you got sick; you're congested and tired. Trying to lift in that condition isn't going to benefit you and it's really inconsiderate to those who use the equipment after you. In the big scheme of things, is a one week break from your lifting going to hurt anything? I can't imagine you have some set date with a lifting goal. You'll start improving again soon enough. My lifting on Tuesday wasn't up to par with the week before I got sick but I know I'll get back there quickly once I've fully recovered.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Call it a rest day and rearrange your lifting schedule if it really bothers you that much. Please don't go to the gym if you're sick. It's incredibly disgusting for everyone else.
  • Cobourg
    Cobourg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    you can technically exercise with a cold unless it is in your chest. If its only in your sinus you can work out but if you don't feel like it don't do it. Listen to your body it really does know best.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go t the gym for fear of passing it to others its just common courtesy...however ive been sick for the past week and worked out daily walking about 3miles outside..
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I actually feel like working out with a cold helps me to get over it faster. My rule of thumb is head cold, yes workout. chest cold no workout. As long as the cold stays above the neck I'm good.

Oh, and that being said workout at home or something. It is gross to see drippy noses at the gym
  • curwent
    Options
    Working out will put too much strain on your heart. Your body is fighting the illness, you should be kind and give it a break.