Favorite gluten free foods!?

Options
So I recently read an article online about gluten. I learned a lot of things I DID NOT like as I eat a LOT of wheat bread... like 2 sandwiches a day. I have decided I wanna try this whole "gluten free" thing, or at least eat MORE gluten free foods, but i need a little help.

What are some of your favorite gluten free snacks/meals? Any gluten free bread?? I'm not a picky eater, one of my favorite snacks is actually rice cakes. :)

Replies

• dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    When I started eating gluten free I ate a lot of rice crackers and rice cakes but kind of got tired of them and really missed bread for toast and sandwiches. I found a gluten free bread "Glutino" that is fairly low in calories (~80 calories/slice) that comes in a variety of types (whole grain, cheese, white, cinnamon raisin)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed with celiacs disease, or is this just for sh*ts and giggles? :huh:
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My fave gluten free foods are just plain fruit, veg, rice, oatmeal, quinoa and occasionally tinkyada organic brown rice pasta.
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Disregard anyone who writes off gluten free as being just for celiacs. If you're human, eliminating gluten is a good thing. There are plenty of great brands to try. Udi's makes good bread alternatives. As far as everything else goes, just start trying things. Enjoy Life is a favorite store brand of mine. Wait until you see how much better you look and feel. Eliminating gluten does wonders for belly bloating and will prevent you from feeling exhausted after a meal. Good luck!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    steak
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I don't have gluten sensitivity issues, so I eat all the gluten …

OP be wary of what you read …

do you have a gluten insensitivity?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Disregard anyone who writes off gluten free as being just for celiacs. If you're human, eliminating gluten is a good thing. There are plenty of great brands to try. Udi's makes good bread alternatives. As far as everything else goes, just start trying things. Enjoy Life is a favorite store brand of mine. Wait until you see how much better you look and feel. Eliminating gluten does wonders for belly bloating and will prevent you from feeling exhausted after a meal. Good luck!

care to expand on that?
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't have gluten sensitivity issues, so I eat all the gluten …

OP be wary of what you read …

do you have a gluten insensitivity?

^Yeah, this.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

care to expand on that?

What he asked..

424.gif
  • lilyann001
    lilyann001 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    There has been this recent craze about how gluten is bad for humans or that gluten-free foods are healthier. Gluten has been in people's diets for centuries. Bread has good minerals and nutrients for people, so people not eating gluten may lack certain vitamins and minerals in their diets.

People with celiac disease do not have the particular gene that can digest gluten and that is why it would be unhealthy for people with celiac disease to eat gluten products. There are people who are allergic to gluten, but it is EXTREMELY rare. I would recommend that anyone who believes they are allergic to gluten or have celiac disease to go their doctor to be tested because it can all be in your head. Some people have told me that they are allergic to gluten because when they went on a gluten-free diet they were less bloated and feeling healthier. When we talked more in depth about it, it turns out that when they are on a gluten-free diet they were eating healthier in general and that was probably the reason why they were feeling better. Some of the signs of being allergic to gluten (bloating, headaches, diarrhea) could be caused by many other things besides gluten, that is why it is important to ask your doctor to test you instead of diagnosing it yourself.

Here is a good video that might help you understand more about gluten and if it is unhealthy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjpb7SFi3s