Calorie-dense shakes, on a budget?

Options
Hello friends. This is my first post here.

I'm trying to bulk up over the winter. The problem is, I'm a perennially underweight adult and am having difficulties getting all my calories in. I eat 2.5 meals a day, and snack a few times, but just am not having the results I'm hoping for.

I've had it recommended to get some protein powder and drink shakes to round out my daily calorie intake, but I was shocked at the cost. For example, Gainer 500 at nutritionexpress.com could cost easily upwards of $150 a month. That's just not going to happen.

Is there something (a lot) cheaper that I can purchase, or is there a way to brew my own shakes for cheap?

Replies

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, nuts, whole milk, cheese...
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Avocados and cottage cheese adds calories and are great for smoothies!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    shakes can get up in calories use whole milk or cream, add peanut butter, cereal, fruit, coconut oil, protein powder, ice cream greek yogurt flax seed almost anything can go in be creative. If you are trying to gain 2.5 meals is perhaps not enough should be 3 regular and 3 snacks. Drink things that have calories
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for calories, not just more protein, carbs and fat is cheaper than protein. What exactly is your problem with getting calories in? Loss of appetite, stress, time? Other?
  • zombie130
    zombie130 Posts: 37
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Musclemilk powder isn't too bad cost wise. the big containers have around 15 servings in them (I usually only used 1 scoop not 2 to make it last a month) it was around $26. If you go to CVS or Walgreens for it there are a lot of times good deals on them if you have the Walgreens or CVS card. Sometimes I've even seen buy one get on 50% off. Also the ensure shakes are really good, but those are 9$ for a 6 pack BUT are only 8oz but 250 calories and are full of vitamins and minerals that you would find in a multivitamin. 2 birds with 1 stone. Musclemilk also has those vitamins and minerals. Also Musclemilk powder is good to buy online too if need be.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    "Six Star Whey Protein" at Walmart. ~$1 per serving (30 grams of protein/serving), but this isn't going to give you a lot of calories. Peanut butter is a good source of calories and has a little protein and healthy fat too. A PB&J sandwich on whole wheat bread can give you some good protein, fat and carbs at ~400 calories. Bottom line, increase from 2.5 meals a day to 3.5 and you will get the results you are looking for.
  • jessehallam
    jessehallam Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    Options
    To the people recommending peanut butter: That's what I'm using currently, but that's pretty "meh" in the volumes I'm having to eat.

I was originally eating about 2000-2400 calories. I tried 3000 to gain weight- it's not working. In fact, I've lost weight while on a 3k diet. Either, I'm fudging my numbers or there's something else going on. I was going to try 3200-3400 for a couple weeks and see if that turns things around.

Bottom line is, I'm 115 lb at 5'11 and I just don't want to be eating all day long to put on pounds.

edit: I'm also in Canada, so certain things may be unavailable or available under different labels. We don't have Walgreens or CVS here, and I'm not sure what Walmart carries; I've never seen fitness products there.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would add in ice cream, cookies, pizza, steak, pasta, potatoes, etc….

my diary is open …but I am only at about 2800 a day right now and am also trying to add weight, but only .5 per week ...
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ben n' Jerry's, my friend. Add it to your shakes!

eta: half a cup of certain flavors of Ben n' Jerry's is 300+ calories.
  • jessehallam
    Options
    I already get a lot of sugar and sodium, which I'm trying to work on, so snarfing out on ice cream every day sounds like guilty pleasure. I'll keep it in mind.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Ben n' Jerry's, my friend. Add it to your shakes!

eta: half a cup of certain flavors of Ben n' Jerry's is 300+ calories.

Holy mother of dog does that sound amazing.

• paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You can get protein powders a lot cheaper at walmart etc. You don't need a "gainer" formula if you're gonna add other stuff to your shakes.

I just saw this Gainer Shake Recipe on my Facebook feed tonight

1 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup protein powder (any flavor)
    1/3 c oats
    1 whole avocado
    4 strawberries
    1 whole banana
    1 T peanut buter
    1 T Coconut oil (or other oil)
    4 T whipped cream

Blend.

93g protein (depending on your protein powder)
    126g carbs
    47g fat
    1295 calories
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Olive oil. Butter. Margarine. ---they work to add calories to your day.
  • nkoetsch
    Options
    Add healthy fats. Things that go good in shakes are avacoados and Peanut butter. Also, Walmart has cheaper protein powders. Not the greatest value wise but at least it's something a little bit extra