Running Question

Options
klsn
klsn Posts: 28 Member
I started running about 6 weeks ago, which I find really hard, but am persisting with it. Currently I can run about 3kms with a couple of walking breaks for hills. My question is this:

Is it better to stay with the 3kms so that I'm running the entire way, or would I better to increase the distance, which means I'd have to take more walking breaks?

I'm just not sure whether it's best to keep running with a better time or go further, so any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• chad23jl
    chad23jl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started out running and until I was able to run a certain distance I stayed at that distance. Then I increased the distance. Ultimately, It is up to you. As long as you are moving you are burning calories which is what you are looking to do. If you are looking to become a long distance runner, then IMO stick to 3kms till you conquer it, then move to longer distances.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would say mix it up! Alternate between the two!
    And also consider getting one of those running apps (10k run etc) they're free and they build you up to running longer distances over 12 weeks or so (and it starts quite easy so you might need to skip a week or two)
    :smile:
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do whatever feels best for you and what will make you stick with it and make it fun and challenging. I started running a little over a year ago. I slowly increased my distance as I felt comfortable doing it. The better I felt doing more, the more I did. So when I felt I could run 5K without killing myself, I did a little more, then when I could do that w/o too much discomfort but was still challenged, I did a little more, each time challenging myself but not killing myself. That way I had a goal, but was not defeated so I stuck to it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd suggest running by time, rather than distance, then keep extending your periods of running and reducing your periods of walking. That'll naturally increase your distance.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd suggest running by time, rather than distance, then keep extending your periods of running and reducing your periods of walking. That'll naturally increase your distance.

^^ This ^^

If you look at the C25K programs, you'll see this is the way to get started.
  • lazykerry
    lazykerry Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is the best running advice I got when I first started running:

"Run until you're tired, walk until you're bored."

With that in mind I'd set a course around the neighborhood for about 2 miles. I ran until I needed a break, walked until I was bored, ran until I needed a break... etc. When the walks became shorter and less frequent, I gradually increased the mileage. Don't be afraid to add a little distance even if you're still taking occasional walk breaks, but try not to add too much distance at once.
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I do both by increasing my running interval for a minute each week and adding a km to the total distance each month (though adding a km in one go is am told a bit too much of a jump) .

I logged some basic stats for each run so whenever it goes badly I can look back and remind myself that I started in July by just walking 2km in 20 mins.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you want to run without walk breaks, focus on keeping the same distance but shortening your breaks. (To run on hills, keep the same cadence but shorten your stride; don't slow down your cadence.) If you want to go for longer runs, add distance and keep taking breaks.

Jeff Galloway, who has been a running coach for decades after being an Olympic runner, now recommends run/walk combos for training, especially for older runners, since it reduces the risk of injury and allows one to run harder during the running segments.