Running & Breathing

Options
Ok, I had some fantastic replies to my post yesterday on running with friends/music so I'm going to try it again to get some responses about breathing while running. This is my biggest struggle when I run. One of the tips I got was that if I felt I was gasping for breath I was running to fast. When I started I started slow and it worked. I was able to breath without gasping which led me to actually sticking with it! I've been running for about 3 or 4 months now and I am getting better and stronger. I'm trying to breath deeply in through my nose and out through my mouth, but this takes a lot of concentration and sometimes I get the feeling like I WANT to gasp for breath. Is this natural and will it ever go away? Its sort of scary to be honest. I don't think I'm going too fast either. Thanks for your thoughts.

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I mouth breath - do what's comfortable. Also check out Runnersworld.com and do a search for breathing.

cheers
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I mostly breathe out of my mouth... I just do what comes easy and natural for me....
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you are gasping, then you're heart rate is too high. You need to slow down.

Go with what is comfortable. Don't overthink it.

I believe that I inhale and exhale using BOTH my nose and mouth.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just breathe. Your body does a good job of it without you needing to think. If you were being chased I'm pretty sure you wouldn't really care about a nonsense breathing pattern.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Mostly breath through the mouth, but I can also do the in through mouth & nose, and out through the mouth thing. Lungs fill a little more rapidly that way, and helps prevent side stitches.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I breathe through my mouth (nose always feels too constricted while running) - in for 2 steps, out for 3. I find that concentrating on my breathing rhythm is very helpful (helps stop/prevent cramps!) but I do sound a bit like a pregnant lady doing lamaze exercises when I get tired! :lol:
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Find a rhythm and stick to it. Like breathe in 2 steps and breathe out 2 steps or something. Also practice breathing in through your nose every once in a while.
    Obviously if you are gasping slow your pace down.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    At some point of exertion, you cannot take enough air at a fast enough rate without breathing through nose AND mouth. There is no benefit to breathing in through the nose only. There is sometimes a benefit to breathing rhythmically (the pace strategies that have been described), that is NOT because it enhances actual breathing. It is because it helps you maintain a relaxed face and upper body, thus improving form and movement economy. But, ultimately, your job is to maximize ventilation however you can
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Mouth breather here (only when I run!). In for 3-4 steps and out for 3-4 steps depending on how hard I'm running.
  • WRENxxx
    WRENxxx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you are just running to log miles and not doing sprint/interval/race pace drills, then I always suggest running at a pace that you can maintain a conversation. And if you are pushing yourself, there is a good chance that you just won't be able to do the nose/mouth breathing. Don't fret it too much. Gasping for air is something different though and you should definitely slow down if that's happening. Keep at it!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Your respiratory conditioning improves with time and practice. Youll get there if you go there.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I would also suggest running at a pace where conversation isnt possible, but a word in between here and there is good.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    I would also suggest running at a pace where conversation isnt possible, but a word in between here and there is good.

During a race/speedwork effort, yes. Otherwise, no.

• throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yeah I breathe through my mouth too. I'd just do whatever's comfortable - no need to overthink it :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    There is an entire book on breathing properly (Running on Air) that teaches you the benefits of exhaling on every third foot strike and how mouth breathing is bad. I tried it twice and about hyperventilated myself the second time. As pretty much everyone has told you, do what is comfortable for you.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i mouth breathe....and i have a pattern i focus on...it sort of sounds like the cliché woman in labor breathing, it's sort of embarrassing, but it works for me, and I've gotten quieter as time goes on....

I also try to exhale when my left foot strikes...it just helps me focus on something else really.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    alikonda wrote: »
    I breathe through my mouth (nose always feels too constricted while running) - in for 2 steps, out for 3. I find that concentrating on my breathing rhythm is very helpful (helps stop/prevent cramps!) but I do sound a bit like a pregnant lady doing lamaze exercises when I get tired! :lol:

OH MY GOSH went back to read and I'm so glad i'm not the only one!!! HA!!!

• yoovie
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

During a race/speedwork effort, yes. Otherwise, no.

agreed.

• Chantlol
    Chantlol Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well you're doing better than me lol I like to sing while I run which doesn't last very long because I stop breathing lol .
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my nose is usually stuffy so i breathe thru my mouth

gasping, though, i would say you need to slow down till you can breath easier. They say keep it at a conversational pace but I don't know if I've ever really run at that speed. I can usually force some words out on my exhale