Unsure if I am doing squats wrong

Options
I'm pretty unfit person but I'm working to change to that. I just started doing squats today and I notice while I get muscles burning on top of my thighs, I don't feel any pulling or burning from my butt. Is this normal or am I doing them wrong?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It's normal, but that doesn't mean you're doing them correctly. If you're unsure, watch some tutorials on Youtube, and also video yourself from the side.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This is how I was taught. Walk up to a wall and stand as close as you possible can to it, facing the wall. Put your hands up like you're going to put them behind your head and squat down. Try not to touch the wall. I've had issues with my legs ("twisted IT band is what the doctors call it *eyeroll*) and could never do them right.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should watch a YouTube video to see what proper form looks like and then practice in front of a mirror (looking at yourself from the side).
    You want to lower your butt down while keeping your knees over your toes. If your knees are extending past your toes, then you're putting too much strain on them and using the wrong parts of your body to squat. You may not necessarily feel a burn in your hamstrings or your glutes, but you do want to make sure you're protecting your knees. :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    bajoyba wrote: »
    I agree that you should watch a YouTube video to see what proper form looks like and then practice in front of a mirror (looking at yourself from the side).
    You want to lower your butt down while keeping your knees over your toes. If your knees are extending past your toes, then you're putting too much strain on them and using the wrong parts of your body to squat. You may not necessarily feel a burn in your hamstrings or your glutes, but you do want to make sure you're protecting your knees. :)

This is incorrect. You should really read starting strength, someone following your advice may put their knee health at risk.

OP - you may not be fully activating your hamstrings. The squat is a quad dominant lift, from what I've been reading, but it will activate the glutes and hams. You may need some accessory work to properly adapt to the movement. Some things that may help:
    - Plie/ Sumo squats
    - Hamstring curls
    - GHDs
    - deadlifts
    - Front squats

Also be sure that you're getting deep enough in. I was doing some oly cleans today, and when I got deep into the squat, I could really feel those glutes turning on and being like... what's up dude. A half assed half rep won't get those hams and glutes activated, you need to go below parallel.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    www.youtube.com
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    It's normal, but that doesn't mean you're doing them correctly. If you're unsure, watch some tutorials on Youtube, and also video yourself from the side.

Agreed.

my favorite video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    This video helped me a ton.

http://youtu.be/zoZWgTrZLd8
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Extremely hard to call this without seeing a video, or even better seeing you squat BUT.....

Yes, it could be form - Master that before progressing. Ask a PT, if there are decent one's around, or use the vid posted above... Record and compare, ask advice if needed for those who can help.

Once form is mastered, treat EVERY rep as you do the heaviest ones. Be patient, it takes time to progress properly.

Don't worry about "not feeling the right muscles" at the beginner stage, NAIL the form\technique, worry about the rest later. It'll all fall into place in the end.

FYI - The burning (Aka DOMS) is not the be all and end all of training - you don't have to feel this after every session to make progress.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    CarlKRobbo wrote: »
    FYI - The burning (Aka DOMS) is not the be all and end all of training - you don't have to feel this after every session to make progress.

Yup, I'd feel proud of a workout where I went full retard in weight and volume, but didn't have DOMS afterwards. That's when I'd know I'm reaching full BAMFFH status.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    CarlKRobbo wrote: »

Yup, I'd feel proud of a workout where I went full retard in weight and volume, but didn't have DOMS afterwards. That's when I'd know I'm reaching full BAMFFH status.

Wasn't talking about a Max effort workout, I was more referring to people replying purely on DOMS as a measure for a workouts success....

• Fattyfork
    Options
    Oh wow, I didn't think I would get this many replies. Thank you so much. I had already watch several youtube videos before I posted here but I will do the recording myself idea. I thought I did have to the burning in order to make process, you know the 'no pain no gain' thing but thanks for letting me know otherwise. And for the video! I didn't know about those other type of squat, only the normal squats and deadlift but I will be looking into them. I will be also trying out the wall trick and sees if that help. Thanks again!
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    bajoyba wrote: »
    You want to lower your butt down while keeping your knees over your toes. If your knees are extending past your toes, then you're putting too much strain on them...

Your knees need to track over your toes; that means they shouldn't collapse inward, which will do damage.

Also, seconding Starting Strength. The book is amazing in detail even if you pick a different program
  • TJP_
    TJP_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Google goblet squats and start on these, they're pretty hard to get wrong and will help you learn good form before moving on to back squats.

http://davedraper.com/blog/2006/11/04/what-are-goblet-squats-goblet-squat-instruction/
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are stretching your hip flexor's too. It took a few weeks to get my flexibility to a point where I could actually hit parallel with my hips. Before I was close, but wasn't going deep enough. If you don't get to parallel, your thighs will be doing most of the work.